I really want the One, but I'm concerned about updates

Badandy

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Hey all. Currently have an iPhone 5 but I really want to grab this HTC One when it comes out. Seems like a great phone and Sense seems to be pared back a little/look cleaner.

My only hesitation is updates. One of the best parts of Android is that google is constantly adding new features and it's hard to justify buying something that doesn't get updates for many months if at all. I mean, HTC One X users still haven't gotten 4.1 on ATT? It was released in July! Galaxy SIII's on ATT have had JB for a little while at least but that's not much better.

Is it stupid to get this phone instead of waiting for something like a Nexus or the Motorola X phone that might be quicker to receive updates directly from google?

How are all you potential buyers who have ATT justifying the purchase? I'd really like the One but has there been any type of commitment to push through updates faster by HTC or ATT?

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
The One X has plenty of JB ROMs available, that's the great thing about rooting! The official updates may not come quickly but you sure can get a great running ROM with the latest updates. I can see it being the same for the HTC One. I feel like it's going to be such a popular device that the dev community will be strong and push out ROMs like it's going out of style! :p

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
That's a great question OP. Myself, I have not yet seen any public commitment by either HTC or the carriers to update the One. However, if it is as successful as I believe it will be, I feel like they will be obligated to update it.

I suppose only time will tell, for now.

Sent from my LS670 using Android Central Forums

skoolboi

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Android has come a long way. We can be sure the HTC ONE will launch with JB and will receive at least one more major update regardless of how long it takes based on HTC's and carrier's track records. I can't say android won't have any future lust worthy features but at this point is has more than enough to not fret missing an update here or there or even it taking long to receive. We also have to be aware that regardless of how fast updates are pushed at some point manufactures will stop supporting old hardware or start dumbing it down such as the way apple does. Every device maybe running ios 6.x.x but they all don't have every ios 6 feature. I wouldn't purchase the ONE based on possibility of future updates, but at face value. How great of a phone it is now and feature rich and if updates are seriously important to you I would suggest a NEXUS device. If HTC is truly focused on slimming down I think there is a chance that updates will be pushed faster because they are able to concentrate their resources instead of being thinned out. We can only make assumptions based on the past but as samsung has shown your past doesn't always dictate your future because at one point everyone was having these same doubts about them. so we'll have to just wait and see.

teletraan1

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
Hey all. Currently have an iPhone 5 but I really want to grab this HTC One when it comes out. Seems like a great phone and Sense seems to be pared back a little/look cleaner.

My only hesitation is updates. One of the best parts of Android is that google is constantly adding new features and it's hard to justify buying something that doesn't get updates for many months if at all. I mean, HTC One X users still haven't gotten 4.1 on ATT? It was released in July! Galaxy S3's on ATT have had JB for a little while at least but that's not much better.

Is it stupid to get this phone instead of waiting for something like a Nexus or the Motorola X phone that might be quicker to receive updates directly from google?

How are all you potential buyers who have ATT justifying the purchase? I'd really like the One but has there been any type of commitment to push through updates faster by HTC or ATT?

Solution: buy non-carrier branded phones. I got the Jelly Bean update on my international One X shortly after it was released (maybe a month or two after).

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I'll say it. If you care about updates get a Nexus. Otherwise don't expect any. And if you do get one then consider it a blessing.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

jiggyb21

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
I take it as a plus that HTC said they won't be releasing a bunch of phone variations in 2013. Maybe that gives them more time to focus on updates for the One.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

katamari201

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
Updates are overrated. Only the diehard nerds obsessed with having the latest decimal point that they will then subsequently try to root and install a whole bunch of useless crap that will give them maybe 1 or 2 points more in benchmark scores while making their phone wildly unstable care about updates. The HTC One will have an update schedule as good if not better than other Android phones, since it is the only flagship device HTC is planning this year. But even if it updates slow, who really cares? Waaaah I'm on Jelly Bean 4.1 instead of.....Jelly Bean 4.2. It's so minor that Google didn't even bother renaming it and now I won't have a phun panoramic sphere mode for my camera even though I can get it easy from the play store anyway and that literally the only improvement but waaaah anyway!

turb0wned

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Solution: buy non-carrier branded phones. I got the Jelly Bean update on my international One X shortly after it was released (maybe a month or two after).

This. Only problem im having with this is will it include T-Mobile's FQCY bands, both HSPA and LTE..

jiggyb21

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
While I think people do focus on updates too much I also think it shows a companies general willingness to maintain their product after the sale. There's phones out there in dire need of updates as they are crippled by antenna problems and battery life as one example. A company willing to spend the time and money to push out updates can give some people the piece of mind that they won't be forgotten after spending several hundred dollars on a phone. As for the difference between 4.1.2 and 4.2 you are forgetting the most notable which is lockscreen widgets. Before you go calling those useless as well consider that it's not just about wanting the next update immediately, sometimes it's about just wanting what you already have. Some people having been using LS widgets for a while now. In many cases upgrading your phone can mean downgrading your os. People do go too far with it, but there's nothing wrong with wanting to know if the One will receive support in the future.
Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

scoutbb

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
The One X has plenty of JB ROMs available, that's the great thing about rooting! The official updates may not come quickly but you sure can get a great running ROM with the latest updates. I can see it being the same for the HTC One. I feel like it's going to be such a popular device that the dev community will be strong and push out ROMs like it's going out of style! :p

Indeed. True. But the main point in question is to go with a company that refuses to push updates to your phone? I spent $549 on my HTC One X, everybody else in the world gets the updates while ours (AT&T) are basically a paper-weight. Don't get me wrong, I have several other phones that I mod but atleast ALL of them receieve updates...except this phone. HTC can brag all they want and tell us HTC One X will receive Sense-5 partial...EXCEPT for AT&T users. The updates are not solely controlled by AT&T if Morotola and Samsung push out OS updates to their devices, this is a HTC issue working with AT&T.

dmfaber1

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Updates are overrated. Only the diehard nerds obsessed with having the latest decimal point that they will then subsequently try to root and install a whole bunch of useless crap that will give them maybe 1 or 2 points more in benchmark scores while making their phone wildly unstable care about updates. The HTC One will have an update schedule as good if not better than other Android phones, since it is the only flagship device HTC is planning this year. But even if it updates slow, who really cares? Waaaah I'm on Jelly Bean 4.1 instead of.....Jelly Bean 4.2. It's so minor that Google didn't even bother renaming it and now I won't have a phun panoramic sphere mode for my camera even though I can get it easy from the play store anyway and that literally the only improvement but waaaah anyway!

I think what people are really wondering is if they can count on getting an update to Key Lime Pie in a reasonable fashion. Not the meaningless 4.1 to 4.2. But keep being a smartass about it, really helping.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20