Question about tricking Best Buy

trandz

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Ok so Best Buy for some reason refused to sell me a Note II off contract so I went to ATT. My return period is until the 13th and so I was pondering doing this.

Chances are when the One comes out Best Buy will refuse to sell that to me off contract as well. I was thinking about purchasing another phone from them like the Optimus G or something since there return window is 30 days still. If I go back in there when the One comes out wouldn't they have to warent my return of the Optimus G for the One? They cant tell me that they cant give me the One if I already have a phone from them and want to return it right? They cant possibly tell me "We cant switch you to the this phone because its in high-demand" can they?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I believe Best Buy or any phone authorized seller can decide what you can and can't do when returning a phone during the " return warranty window period ". I'm sure they have rules in place for those who may do this during a " release period " on a hot new device.

Just my two cents...

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure why they wouldn't sell you a full at full retail. I have bought several phones from Best Buy at full retail. They even have the price marked on their tags. Usually they are higher than others places for full retail though. I have gotten them to price match against Verizon. Not sure about other carriers.

They do have returns and exchanges for the first 30 days, but if the phone you want is in such high demand, who knows.

Before going through all the hoops I would speak to the manager or try another Best Buy.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

trandz

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
They did this to me with the GS3. They said they have little amount of units so they can only sell with a contract. They called another Best Buy and there manager had no problem hooking me up. They also price-matched for me since everyone but Best Buy has the same price of 550$-650$ off contract.

Sure they have the deciding factor but what can they really tell me "no we cant honor the return and your stuck with this phone" No I dont think so lol. I would go ape in there with my bad temper quick

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Regardless of what we think here, as mentioned it will be up to the individual Best Buy store to decide how they want to deal with it. I don't see a problem with you returning a phone during your 30 day window but if the new HTC One is put on a pre order list then chances are you probably aren't going to be able to just walk in and expect to swap out to one unless they have it on a first come first serve basis, they will fill the pre orders first before selling to anyone else ( at least that is the way it SHOULD work.)

fernandez21

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Last year I bought the One X and iPhone 5 at launch off contract, and didn't have any problems either time. Both of those phones were in hot demand too.

trandz

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Very true. What if i do a pre order when they start them and say ill return the phone for the one when its out

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

DWS44

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Speaking of pre-orders and Best Buy? Anyone hearing anything on when (if?) Best Buy plans to take pre-orders on the One? Seems like if this phone is coming by end of March, we'd be seeing preorders opening up by now.

doc31

May 15, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure it this applies to the phones also but BB changed there return policy to 15 days. I assume it would apply since you're not buying it under contract.
I never ran into an issue with them refusing to sell a device w/o contract. I think they actually make more. I would just call around and also don't forget to price match.

trandz

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. Yeah I always make them price match I'm not paying 200 $ extra on there markup lol. Didn't think about ordering online on launch day. Will do if I can't get one anywhere near me. I'm sure radio Shack one of the best buys or Att will sell it to me off contact.

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
If you read about shopping at Best Buy, it's always a YMMV experience.

My story: BBY was doing an 'upgrade and save': trade in DVDs for $5 off any Blu-ray. Over at a Blu-specific forum, people were buying concert Blus with the coupons but my local store refused to honor the coupons for concert discs.

If your local BBY doesn't do what you want, try another.

trandz

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
True that. I'll honestly probably just go to the att store and buy it off contract there

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol