Camera Shutter Speed

Phil Kulak

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I've noticed from EXIF data on some of the early samples that, despite having OIS, the camera never takes the shutter below 1/22. 1/10th should really be about where it is with 3-stop OIS comparable to the Nokia 920, and would really improve low light performance. Anyone have any ideas on this?

Matthew Merkle

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
I've noticed from EXIF data on some of the early samples that, despite having OIS, the camera never takes the shutter below 1/22. 1/10th should really be about where it is with 3-stop OIS comparable to the Nokia 920, and would really improve low light performance. Anyone have any ideas on this?

Considering a seriously steady hand and DSLR-level stabilization usually isn't worth a crap below 1/20-1/15, I doubt this. 1/10 of a second is a really long time for motion.

Phil Kulak

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Considering a seriously steady hand and DSLR-level stabilization usually isn't worth a crap below 1/20-1/15, I doubt this. 1/10 of a second is a really long time for motion.

My S3 takes sharp photos at 1/30 and will drop to 1/15 (regrettably) in low light to take blurry, POS shots. This makes sense since the focal length in these things is 28mm and the rule of thumb is that you want a shutter speed of at least 1/focal length. Nokia advertises 3-stop OIS and Canon's lenses are 4-stop. 3-stops below 1/30 is almost 1/3, so 1/10 should not be out of the question (as long as your subject isn't moving).

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm no Ansel Adams, but I wonder if it doesn't need to leave the shutter open that long? With the larger pixel size, a similar shutter time will produce much brighter pictures than the S3, maybe too bright. If your S3 can't do it in 1/15 I would bet the One can do it fine in 1/22 or 1/30 with a pixel that is 3X the size. The more light I can get more in, the sooner I can close the shutter. I know that's over-simplifying it, but that's the easy guess.