A few words on battery life (and how we're testing it)

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
So it looks like the 48-hour "reviews" are starting to drop. Never mind that I think that's way too fast to actually "review" a new phone like this. But a few words need to be said about battery testing.

AFAIK, all of the review units here in the states are actually European phones. That is, no AT&T LTE. No Sprint LTE. No T-Mobile whatever ... That makes a big difference if you're talking about "real world" battery life. So please keep that in mind when reading anything over the next week.

I'm waiting for Alex to give the HTC One some real-life battery testing, at least until we get U.S. versions here. There's simply no good way to compare.

But that said, I'm very tempted to pick up a personal Euro version. HSPA speeds are on par with what I get on the Nexus 4, and I'm used to that. Plus you'd get longer battery life without LTE. Something to think about.

reddragon72

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Not to worried out LTE. At work and home I use Wifi. If I need a boost I'll turn on Wimax on my current phone. So 3G when out and about but Wifi whenever possible.

With that I say roll out the testing on 3G and Wifi. I'm curious about the battery on those more than LTE.

zoetrope

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
My contract is nearly over with AT&T and I'm going to be upgrading soon. I'm looking at the HTC One and of course the Samsung Galaxy S4. The only review I've seen yet for the HTC One is The Verge's review -- HTC One review. This won't be the only review I'll be reading, but so far I don't like what I'm reading. The camera and battery life come up FAIL again with an HTC product. The phone is beautiful, but I will NOT be buying a phone again with miserable battery life. I'll take ugly plastic over beautiful aluminum slab any day if the battery life is superior. HTC continues to fail when it comes to batteries and cameras. WHY?

I won't be buying either phone (One or GS4) until I'm able to read many other reviews for both products, Android Central's included. But if the miserable battery life of the HTC One is corroborated by other tech blog sites, then I'm afraid I'll have to skip another beautiful but highly flawed phone. I'm also afraid Samsung's main competitor in Android phones may not last until the end of this year. Sad :-(

pgood4

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
My contract is nearly over with AT&T and I'm going to be upgrading soon. I'm looking at the HTC One and of course the Samsung Galaxy S4. The only review I've seen yet for the HTC One is The Verge's review -- HTC One review. This won't be the only review I'll be reading, but so far I don't like what I'm reading. The camera and battery life come up FAIL again with an HTC product. The phone is beautiful, but I will NOT be buying a phone again with miserable battery life. I'll take ugly plastic over beautiful aluminum slab any day if the battery life is superior. HTC continues to fail when it comes to batteries and cameras. WHY?

I won't be buying either phone (One or GS4) until I'm able to read many other reviews for both products, Android Central's included. But if the miserable battery life of the HTC One is corroborated by other tech blog sites, then I'm afraid I'll have to skip another beautiful but highly flawed phone. I'm also afraid Samsung's main competitor in Android phones may not last until the end of this year. Sad :-(

I would suggest looking at some other reviews. Everyone else seems to be saying it has great battery life. Users over on XDA who actually have the phone in hand after the launch in Germany are getting great results and posting actual screen shots from one of the battery stat apps.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2