Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 61
Like Tree22Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Russ Smith's Avatar

    Posts
    449 Posts
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Stock browser vs Chrome!

    Ive used chrome on ios and was going to on the HTC one, however ive read that the sense 5 stock browser will support flash. Anyone used this or a previous HTC browser got any comments or a vote on best browser?
  2. #2  
    sailador's Avatar

    Posts
    71 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Stock browser vs Chrome!

    i am using htc one x plus and the stock browser comes with flash installed
    Russ Smith likes this.
  3. #3  
    Paul627g's Avatar

    Posts
    17,240 Posts
    Global Posts
    17,761 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Stock browser vs Chrome!

    Quote Originally Posted by sailador View Post
    i am using htc one x plus and the stock browser comes with flash installed
    Flash will be supported on devices still running ICS (Android 4.0.x) and lower. Once they are updated to Jellybean (Android 4.1.x) and higher flash player is no longer officially supported, but can be sideloaded in some cases but has its drawbacks due to lack of official support.
  4. #4  
    Kevin OQuinn's Avatar
    AC Team Emeritus

    Posts
    9,699 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,910 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Carrier
    Stock

    Default Re: Stock browser vs Chrome!

    Quote Originally Posted by Russ Smith View Post
    Ive used chrome on ios and was going to on the HTC one, however ive read that the sense 5 stock browser will support flash. Anyone used this or a previous HTC browser got any comments or a vote on best browser?
    Chrome on iOS is completely different
    TheLibertarian likes this.
  5. #5  
    outlawz89's Avatar

    Posts
    60 Posts
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Stock browser vs Chrome!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Quinn View Post
    Chrome on iOS is completely different
    can you explain please. I'm switching from iphone to android soon and would like to know as much as I can before I get my device.
  6. #6  
    TheLibertarian's Avatar

    Posts
    1,032 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Stock browser vs Chrome!

    I'd say download "Chrome!" and compare the two, but, like everyone else, you'll probably have to wait for the device to actually be released.
  7. #7  
    Kevin OQuinn's Avatar
    AC Team Emeritus

    Posts
    9,699 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,910 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Carrier
    Stock

    Default Re: Stock browser vs Chrome!

    Quote Originally Posted by outlawz89 View Post
    can you explain please. I'm switching from iphone to android soon and would like to know as much as I can before I get my device.
    On iOS any web browsing has to use the Safari rendering engine. So when you use Chrome what you're really using is the Chrome UI with the Safari rendering engine. Does that makes sense? All the stuff you SEE in Chrome on iOS is Chrome, but the stuff happening behind the scenes is the same as Safari.
  8. #8  
    anon5664829's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    3,111 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,732 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Stock browser vs Chrome!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Quinn View Post
    On iOS any web browsing has to use the Safari rendering engine. So when you use Chrome what you're really using is the Chrome UI with the Safari rendering engine. Does that makes sense? All the stuff you SEE in Chrome on iOS is Chrome, but the stuff happening behind the scenes is the same as Safari.
    Don't forget the iOS chrome doesnt get the nitro engine due to security reasons.
    Noremacam likes this.
  9. #9  
    Aquila's Avatar
    AC Gonfaloniere

    Posts
    13,796 Posts
    Global Posts
    14,037 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Carrier
    Assassin 'Droid

    Default Re: Stock browser vs Chrome!

    Hmm, I mistakenly thought that ever since 4.1 Chome was stock. If HTC is pushing something else, that's disappointing and good to know.
  10. #10  
    ksavaiano's Avatar

    Posts
    400 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Stock browser vs Chrome!

    From the various reviews i have read the HTC One comes with Google chrome (or just simply the standard google browser) and it also has a browser made by HTC on the phone. From the reviews they all say that HTC's browser kicks google chrome out of the water in terms of speed AND it will also support flash.
    les7699 likes this.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  
    Russ Smith's Avatar

    Posts
    449 Posts
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Stock browser vs Chrome!

    Quote Originally Posted by ksavaiano View Post
    From the various reviews i have read the HTC One comes with Google chrome (or just simply the standard google browser) and it also has a browser made by HTC on the phone. From the reviews they all say that HTC's browser kicks google chrome out of the water in terms of speed AND it will also support flash.
    Well ill find out Wednesday and let you know!
  12. #12  
    mcpricex's Avatar

    Posts
    163 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Stock browser vs Chrome!

    The HTC one does come with the stock HTC/Jelly Bean browser AND Chrome embedded, you can update Chrome but not uninstall it. The stock browser is, as always, pretty swift but not to put too fine a point on it, is u-g-l-y. Firefox is very pretty but not the most user friendly and Opera is probably your best bet for flash support.

    Chrome is probably the best all rounder and because I use both a smartphone and an android tablet, the ability to sync bookmarks and open tabs between the two is pure genius. My problem with chrome though is that it does prefer to open pages in their mobile versions, even when you tell it not to (which you have to do every time because there is no way to set your preference as a default). This is particularly annoying on a tablet that is always conected to wifi.

    Purely for this reason I started using Dolphin, maybe not as quick as chrome or stock but it does link up bookmarks and tabs across your devices and I am really beginning to enjoy the easy access bookmarks and options that you can just slide out from the side of the screen. Plenty of browsers to choose from in the market but as one of the most used apps, I think that usability and interface design are more important than waiting an additional 0.8 seconds for a page to load.
    nancybout and Russ Smith like this.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  
    Russ Smith's Avatar

    Posts
    449 Posts
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Stock browser vs Chrome!

    Quote Originally Posted by mcpricex View Post
    The HTC one does come with the stock HTC/Jelly Bean browser AND Chrome embedded, you can update Chrome but not uninstall it. The stock browser is, as always, pretty swift but not to put too fine a point on it, is u-g-l-y. Firefox is very pretty but not the most user friendly and Opera is probably your best bet for flash support.

    Chrome is probably the best all rounder and because I use both a smartphone and an android tablet, the ability to sync bookmarks and open tabs between the two is pure genius. My problem with chrome though is that it does prefer to open pages in their mobile versions, even when you tell it not to (which you have to do every time because there is no way to set your preference as a default). This is particularly annoying on a tablet that is always conected to wifi.

    Purely for this reason I started using Dolphin, maybe not as quick as chrome or stock but it does link up bookmarks and tabs across your devices and I am really beginning to enjoy the easy access bookmarks and options that you can just slide out from the side of the screen. Plenty of browsers to choose from in the market but as one of the most used apps, I think that usability and interface design are more important than waiting an additional 0.8 seconds for a page to load.
    Cool, cheers, i use chrome on pc so would want it really to sync. ill have opera too for flash support then!
  14. #14  
    StueybUK's Avatar

    Posts
    9 Posts
    Global Posts
    280 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Stock browser vs Chrome!

    I can confirm that the stock browser does support flash player.
  15. #15  
    ItnStln511's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    626 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,770 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Stock browser vs Chrome!

    Quote Originally Posted by NothingIsTrue View Post
    Hmm, I mistakenly thought that ever since 4.1 Chome was stock. If HTC is pushing something else, that's disappointing and good to know.
    That's what I thought as well.
  16. #16  
    ItnStln511's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    626 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,770 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Stock browser vs Chrome!

    Quote Originally Posted by mcpricex View Post
    I use both a smartphone and an android tablet, the ability to sync bookmarks and open tabs between the two is pure genius.
    How do you sync the open tabs? I've never been able to figure this out.
  17. #17  
    Aquila's Avatar
    AC Gonfaloniere

    Posts
    13,796 Posts
    Global Posts
    14,037 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Carrier
    Assassin 'Droid

    Default Re: Stock browser vs Chrome!

    Quote Originally Posted by ItnStln511 View Post
    How do you sync the open tabs? I've never been able to figure this out.
    There is an option in settings to, "sync this device" and then when you hit a, "new tab" there is an option near "bookmarks" for "other devices". Not looking at it now, but that's the gist.
  18. #18  
    ItnStln511's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    626 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,770 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Stock browser vs Chrome!

    Quote Originally Posted by NothingIsTrue View Post
    There is an option in settings to, "sync this device" and then when you hit a, "new tab" there is an option near "bookmarks" for "other devices". Not looking at it now, but that's the gist.
    That does it, thanks!
    Aquila likes this.
  19. #19  
    mcpricex's Avatar

    Posts
    163 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Stock browser vs Chrome!

    Dolphin has started giving me some problems, random crashes and freezes, such as not opening new tabs when told to, so I have gone back to stock. Still can't get on with Chrome because of the mobile/desktop issue, apparently you can fix it on rooted devices or by debugging via a pc but that requires effort, hmmph.

    Have now tried Firefox, Maxthon, Boat, Opera and a few others I can't even remember. Why can't the mighty Google just make an Android version of Chrome that works like the desktop version, fully customisable and with add ons like the user defined speed dial. Tell em I said so!
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  
    Russ Smith's Avatar

    Posts
    449 Posts
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Stock browser vs Chrome!

    Bringing this back up! The stock browser is really good imo, it does have
    Flash.
    Full screen modes (with or without notification bar)
    The text wrapping is awesome, zooms in and wrapped then wraps to any zoom level you pinch, there's also article view auto renders what your reading like a mobile site.
    View/access or add chrome book marks.
    Plus I think it's faster and prettier!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1365362491216.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	81.9 KB 
ID:	64786Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1365362506720.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	73.4 KB 
ID:	64787
    Sent from my HTC One
    karmamule likes this.
  21. #21  
    ffejjj's Avatar

    Posts
    2,659 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,668 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Stock browser vs Chrome!

    I like chrome but honestly I always revert back to the stock browser.

    Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums
  22. #22  
    scorpiodsu's Avatar

    Posts
    2,529 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,147 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Stock browser vs Chrome!

    I like chrome mostly because I like the syncing. But I also don't like to have more than one application that do the same thing. Once I root it I'll most likely freeze or remove stock. Either way there's only going to be 1 browser on my phone Lol.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  
    Russ Smith's Avatar

    Posts
    449 Posts
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Stock browser vs Chrome!

    Quote Originally Posted by scorpiodsu View Post
    I like chrome mostly because I like the syncing. But I also don't like to have more than one application that do the same thing. Once I root it I'll most likely freeze or remove stock. Either way there's only going to be 1 browser on my phone Lol.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    If it not space your worried about sense 5 lets you hide any app from your app draw

    Sent from my HTC One
  24. #24  
    Aquila's Avatar
    AC Gonfaloniere

    Posts
    13,796 Posts
    Global Posts
    14,037 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Carrier
    Assassin 'Droid

    Default Re: Stock browser vs Chrome!

    I'm still surprised there are devices where Chrome isn't the stock browser. IMO that's a HUGE fail. Why bother making an additional browser? I get you might be able to make a better one, but why not put those resources into something that is broken or is missing? IE. battery life, etc.
  25. #25  
    MrM0cha's Avatar

    Posts
    4 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Stock browser vs Chrome!

    I use Naked Browser. Flash works and it's the fastest I've used.

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Chrome vs JB stock browser
    By JuanR_odrigo in forum Google / Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-17-2013, 06:53 PM
  2. Best Browser for Droid DNA (Stock vs Chrome vs Firefox)?
    By Raiders Fan 223 in forum Verizon Droid DNA
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-25-2012, 11:00 AM
  3. JellyBean Browser vs Chrome
    By SirD28 in forum Verizon Galaxy Nexus
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-06-2012, 11:42 PM
  4. Firefox vs Stock Browser
    By Adam Z in forum Verizon HTC Thunderbolt
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-16-2011, 03:00 PM
  5. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 06-17-2010, 11:11 AM

Posting Permissions