the One on T-mobile's 3G frequencies

micjay22

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
Anybody knows if the pre-paid $30 unlimited data plan will work with the new HTC One? The official phone specs said it supports US (TMO): 700/AWS MHz but I believe Tmo uses 1700/2100 for 3G. Does it means that if my city doesn't cover by Tmo's 4G LTE in the future, then I won't even get 3G speed and it will fall back to 2G speed? Tmo doesn't even have a 4G market now and if this phone doesn't support 3G on their network will be a deal breaker for me. The weird thing is Tmo is getting this phone but without proper network support, this phone is going to crawl. Am I missing something?

micjay22

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the response. I hope they don't jack up the price or something, hopefully they'll just upgrade and replace all 3G networks to LTE. I think we'll just have to wait and see.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the response. I hope they don't jack up the price or something, hopefully they'll just upgrade and replace all 3G networks to LTE. I think we'll just have to wait and see.

New rate plans are coming, as are new plans to wean customers off of subsidized phones. They will also make official the LTE rollout and offer more details. They may offer launch details for the One, but I would doubt it.

Spiderman13

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Since no one answered your question. Here is a link to the specs of the phone.

Looks like it won't work on tmo's LTE network ever but will work on their 3g network.

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=4041

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Anybody knows if the pre-paid $30 unlimited data plan will work with the new HTC One? The official phone specs said it supports US (TMO): 700/AWS MHz but I believe Tmo uses 1700/2100 for 3G. Does it means that if my city doesn't cover by Tmo's 4G LTE in the future, then I won't even get 3G speed and it will fall back to 2G speed? Tmo doesn't even have a 4G market now and if this phone doesn't support 3G on their network will be a deal breaker for me. The weird thing is Tmo is getting this phone but without proper network support, this phone is going to crawl. Am I missing something?

They're moving to 1900 for 3G to free up AWS for LTE.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

micjay22

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
I'm still confused so I emailed HTC. Their response:

"The specs you are referring to, US (TMO): 700/AWS MHz, is the frequencies that the HTC One uses to send/receive LTE signal only. AWS uses frequencies in the 1700 to 1755 MHz and the 2100 to 2155 MHz range . The HTC One also supports the 850/900/1800/1900 MHz frequencies for GSM/GPRS/EDGE, which is 2G and 3G signal. This means that the phone still will receive 3G and 2G data from T-Mobile.

If you live in a non-LTE area, you should still be able to use the phone for data service, as our devices are designed to use the which ever networks are available from the closest tower. In this case, if you are in a non-LTE area and the phone picks up on a 3G signal from T-Mobile, you will then be using 3G instead of LTE. The same would be if you travel to an LTE area, the phone should automatically detect the LTE signal sent from the nearest tower and switch to use LTE for data, instead of 3G.

For more information on the HTC One, please feel free to visit HTC One Overview - HTC Smartphones and also T-Mobile's website found here: http://htc.t-mobile.com/new-htc-one-phone/ . Once there is more information available regarding the HTC One, such as official release dates, it will be announced on these sites first. For more information on what frequencies T-Mobile may plan to use for LTE, 3G, or 2G, please feel free to contact T-Mobile."

so they are making 1900 just for 3G and moving away from 1700? meaning 3G will work if you just have 1900 and I assume 4G will work on this phone assuming the area is covered.

Spiderman13

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
^^^^^ From this it will pick up LTE. Which tmo hasn't even fully rolled. out. They mention 2G and 3G
No mention of their current 4G which is HSPA+, the confusion continues

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
^^^^^ From this it will pick up LTE. Which tmo hasn't even fully rolled. out. They mention 2G and 3G
No mention of their current 4G which is HSPA+, the confusion continues

No, it doesn't. It will support every current T-Mobile speed tier. (2g, 3g, 3.5g and LTE) You guys need to understand that no one but the wireless providers term their HSPA+ as 4G. When HTC says that the One will support 3G, they're also talking about HSPA+.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm still confused so I emailed HTC. Their response:

"The specs you are referring to, US (TMO): 700/AWS MHz, is the frequencies that the HTC One uses to send/receive LTE signal only. AWS uses frequencies in the 1700 to 1755 MHz and the 2100 to 2155 MHz range . The HTC One also supports the 850/900/1800/1900 MHz frequencies for GSM/GPRS/EDGE, which is 2G and 3G signal. This means that the phone still will receive 3G and 2G data from T-Mobile.

If you live in a non-LTE area, you should still be able to use the phone for data service, as our devices are designed to use the which ever networks are available from the closest tower. In this case, if you are in a non-LTE area and the phone picks up on a 3G signal from T-Mobile, you will then be using 3G instead of LTE. The same would be if you travel to an LTE area, the phone should automatically detect the LTE signal sent from the nearest tower and switch to use LTE for data, instead of 3G.

For more information on the HTC One, please feel free to visit HTC One Overview - HTC Smartphones and also T-Mobile's website found here: http://htc.t-mobile.com/new-htc-one-phone/ . Once there is more information available regarding the HTC One, such as official release dates, it will be announced on these sites first. For more information on what frequencies T-Mobile may plan to use for LTE, 3G, or 2G, please feel free to contact T-Mobile."

so they are making 1900 just for 3G and moving away from 1700? meaning 3G will work if you just have 1900 and I assume 4G will work on this phone assuming the area is covered.

Yes. T-Mobile has been refarming their 1900 spectrum for 3G coverage in order to free up AWS for LTE. So if you're in an area that hasn't been refarmed (and doesn't have LTE) you'll still get 3G on AWS. In the newer areas you'll get LTE on AWS and 3G on 1900.

dskwerl

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
So I've read mention of the Developer version of the One in this thread, and read some of the links people shared in regards to it running on T-Mobile. What I can't seem to put together is if the lack of AWS on the Developer version means it won't get T-Mobile's normal 3G service, or if it won't get the HSPA+ service (the "4G" that isn't really 4G.)

Where I am located, I don't foresee HSPA+ or LTE coming anytime in the near future, so I'm not worried about losing out on those services. But T-Mobile's site, and various explanations of AWS that I've read, doesn't really specify if AWS is what T-Mobile's standard 3G service runs on, or if their HSPA+ runs on it instead.

Thoughts?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze