HTC One Tv remote question

anon(92475)

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys, I've got a question for you. The HTC One will be my next device come June. My question is, what do you do if you don't use one of those cable/satelite/ota companies?

My local cable company (AndyCable) gets our cable from a city roughly 50 miles away (TroyCable). They aren't using Comcast or anything like that.

Will the HTC Tv app still work?

Thanks for the help guys!

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Might be hit and miss depending on the box, I guess. What's your ZIP code? (PM me if you want) and I'll see what pops up.

Highrisedrifter

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys, I've got a question for you. The HTC One will be my next device come June. My question is, what do you do if you don't use one of those cable/satelite/ota companies?

My local cable company (AndyCable) gets our cable from a city roughly 50 miles away (TroyCable). They aren't using Comcast or anything like that.

Will the HTC Tv app still work?

Thanks for the help guys!

Yes, it will work.

When you set it up, you input your zip and it asks you about some of the local channels to your area. Then there is a drop down list of all the various TV hardware boxes and if yours isn't listed (like mine wasn't) you get the option to point your tv controller directly at the phone IR sensor and follow the instructions on screen to add in the various buttons. It works like a charm.

anon(92475)

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Oh. I hadn't heard of that feature (or I didn't read clearly enough) before.

Thanks for that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Phil Nickinson

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Sounds like that might be what you have to do. Here's what I see for providers with your ZIP code:

• AFN Satellite
  • Direct TV
  • Dish Network
  • FAVE
  • Globecast World TV
  • MyGlobeTV
  • Over the Air
  • Sky Angel Faith TV
  • TV Cable of <your city here>

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Or you might have to use the zip for the provider who is 50 miles away.
Chances are they use the same channel line up and equipment as you do at home. That would be my next step.

ksavaiano

May 8, 2012
Visit site
I actually have a question for you guys as well. Are there settings to program it to more then one television? Im 18 and i switch between houses alot and there is a TV in our living room as well as one in my room at each house. So i was curious if i could set all of them up and switch between say "room tv" and "living tv" or can i only set it to one tv? doesnt really matter to me if i cant but i was just curious!

Phil Nickinson

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
I actually have a question for you guys as well. Are there settings to program it to more then one television? Im 18 and i switch between houses alot and there is a TV in our living room as well as one in my room at each house. So i was curious if i could set all of them up and switch between say "room tv" and "living tv" or can i only set it to one tv? doesnt really matter to me if i cant but i was just curious!

Yep. You can add more than one remote.

Here's the catch: I have HDTV in one room, and standard def in another. There's an option to default to high-def or low-def channels, but the app's not smart enough to let you choose depending on which remote you're using.

See: How to watch TV with the HTC One | Android Central

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
To add to what Phil wrote, you can set up room profiles, like Living Room, Bedroom, Bathroom.
Each profile will let you set up a TV, cable box (or sattellite box), device.

ksavaiano

May 8, 2012
Visit site
To add to what Phil wrote, you can set up room profiles, like Living Room, Bedroom, Bathroom.
Each profile will let you set up a TV, cable box (or sattellite box), device.

Not sure why you would set up a "bathroom" profile but i shall not protrude into your toilet needs! But thats good to know because i wasnt sure if it would let me do that

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
At the time i wrote that i was trying to think of places you can put a TV / DVR.. LOL Perhaps i should have said living room, bedroom1, bedroom 2, master bedroom, kitchen, patio, garage, man cave, then bathroom. I aspire one day to have enough money to have a remote set up for the bathroom. :)

But yes you can set up profiles to have different tvs or recievers per profile.

chestvrg

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
I have a question myself. I currently have an iPhone and I remember the glory days when the palm pilots and everyone of those devices had an IR port.

My question is, does anyone know how strong the IR signal is? I remember on my old Treo 650 it wasn't as strong as the remotes and if I wanted extra signal strength I had to buy an IR blaster. I assume that now that we are in a new generation of mobile technology, HTC and other vendors have taken note at this.

If you currently have a One, how strong is the IR signal strength?

Russ Smith

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I have a question myself. I currently have an iPhone and I remember the glory days when the palm pilots and everyone of those devices had an IR port.

My question is, does anyone know how strong the IR signal is? I remember on my old Treo 650 it wasn't as strong as the remotes and if I wanted extra signal strength I had to buy an IR blaster. I assume that now that we are in a new generation of mobile technology, HTC and other vendors have taken note at this.

If you currently have a One, how strong is the IR signal strength?

Works same as my remote from 12 foot away

Sent from my HTC One

asnigro

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
I am contemplating getting the HTC One, and the ability to use the infrared (IR) feature as a remote for all my gadgets is quite appealing (especially since the LED screen on my Logitech Harmony One remote cracked about a year ago).

Does the phone's TV app have the ability to program macros into it (example: press one button that first turns on the tv, the surround sound, and the satellite dish box)?

Russ Smith

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I am contemplating getting the HTC One, and the ability to use the infrared (IR) feature as a remote for all my gadgets is quite appealing (especially since the LED screen on my Logitech Harmony One remote cracked about a year ago).

Does the phone's TV app have the ability to program macros into it (example: press one button that first turns on the tv, the surround sound, and the satellite dish box)?

Not sure, you can remap a button to copy one on an existing remote though

Sent from my HTC One

prissysox

Trusted Member
Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I think I'll use this feature but I don't think k it will replace my Harmony Touch

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay