HTC One Speakerphone Problem, Help Needed!

Charles Lambton

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the update, strangely for me it doesn't matter whether the other person is on speakerphone or not:confused:

Yea, I can't see why that would matter at all. As far as I know (and correct me if I'm wrong) the signal the receiver is getting would be the exact same whether they are on speakerphone or not? Could this just be a case of signal interference that is present during normal calls but is being amplified to a level that can be heard because of the amplified speakerphones?

nev7

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
Yea, I can't see why that would matter at all. As far as I know (and correct me if I'm wrong) the signal the receiver is getting would be the exact same whether they are on speakerphone or not? Could this just be a case of signal interference that is present during normal calls but is being amplified to a level that can be heard because of the amplified speakerphones?

If you're right about it being the same signal then that is indeed a possibility. I've decided to return the phone and ask for a replacement and if the 3rd handset has the same problem I'll be requesting a full refund.

Charles Lambton

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
If you're right about it being the same signal then that is indeed a possibility. I've decided to return the phone and ask for a replacement and if the 3rd handset has the same problem I'll be requesting a full refund.

On a scale of 1-10 how bad is the interference that the receiver is getting? If it's something environmental/situational or software related then getting a third replacement handset won't fix the issue. I don't know about you but I rarely use the speakerphone on my phone and would hardly consider it a deal breaker if something was acting up with it. Still the whole thing seems to be really strange, it's an issue reported by only a few with the phone, it seems to depend on your location and what signals are in the area and in some cases whether the other line has their speakerphone on or not. During your tests has it been dead quiet on your end or noisy?

nev7

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
On a scale of 1-10 how bad is the interference that the receiver is getting? If it's something environmental/situational or software related then getting a third replacement handset won't fix the issue. I don't know about you but I rarely use the speakerphone on my phone and would hardly consider it a deal breaker if something was acting up with it. Still the whole thing seems to be really strange, it's an issue reported by only a few with the phone, it seems to depend on your location and what signals are in the area and in some cases whether the other line has their speakerphone on or not. During your tests has it been dead quiet on your end or noisy?

I would rate it a 7-8 on how bad it is for the other person. Speakerphone is a deal breaker for me as I would normally take every call on speakerphone until I got this phone. It's pretty quiet on my end and overall call quality ranges from very good to mediocre.

Last edited:

nev7

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
UPDATE- I have tried a few calls on speakerphone whilst using the supplied headphones and so far haven't had the same interference issue occurring. You guys will maybe have more of an idea as to why using headphones seems to make this problem go away then I do, any ideas? With me being a heavy speakerphone user this whilst not being perfect is a bit of light at the end of the tunnel for me.

Charles Lambton

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
UPDATE- I have tried a few calls on speakerphone whilst using the supplied headphones and so far haven't had the same interference issue occurring. You guys will maybe have more of an idea as to why using headphones seems to make this problem go away then I do, any ideas? With me being a heavy speakerphone user this whilst not being perfect is a bit of light at the end of the tunnel for me.

Do the built in headphones have a microphone?

mcpricex

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
I have used my One on speaker both in the car and the house and have had no complaints so far.

Must be something to do with the second mic on the back of the phone, this is designed to listen to ambient noise and then filter it out to give a clearer voice signal, the same principle as used in noise cancelling headphones. Switching to a wired (and probably bluetooth too) headset will obviously fix the problem but it depends on whether or not that is an acceptable solution for you.

Surely with a mic designed to be so sensitive and specific they would have taken into account any possible interference so maybe there is the possibility of a dodgy batch?

xtn

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
I would guess that any decent speakerphone has to have some method of reducing feedback loops. I would also guess that modern, digital units would seek to achieve this my subtracting their speaker output signal from their microphone input signal. My third guess is that this method cannot be perfect in the real world because whatever method is used to perform the subtraction cannot possibly account for volume, tonality and time delay changes caused by the enviroment. I guess another method might be to just attenuate the overlap of frequency responce between the speakers and the mic, but imagine this technique can only get you so much improvement before you've lost the ability to hear what is spoken. Or maybe you could add some barely audible signature wave to the speaker output and then subtract any mic input that comes along with that signature wave? Hmmm, that one probably isn't practical. Anyway...

If my guesses are correct, I must conclude that all speakerphones have some small degree of feedback loop problems, and that their engineers just try to make their systems combat them as best they can, and perhaps HTC's engineers just didnt get things as close to right as they could have.

I must also imagine that having another loop on the other end of the call - as would be had if the other party is also on speakerphone, which is also imperfect - would compound the problem exponentially.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

GB66

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Sorry I've not replied sooner. I changed my phone for another HTC One and the problem no longer occurs. Perhaps a small number of the phones have some sort of microphone issue?

hodan

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I've tried turning the NFC off and it had no effect, where else is this being discussed?:)

Ran across speaker/call issues being discussed on XDA. Also pixel issues. Sounded like most of those folks were just switching out phones.

jeloremo

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I got the same problem and there are a few people under the same umbrella. I went to TMO store and the rep told me that this is a problem with the HTC ONE's and about 1% of them are having the problem. So we are in the 1% no bueno club.....

bascoine seb

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm also on second phone and have the same problem. Only my phone goes to speakerphone on its own when I answer a call, then the other person reports bad signal and interference. I also notice when that happens that the speakerphone icon on the top does not actually go on. So I then have to press speakerphone to activate it then press again to deactivate speakerphone then problem solved.. very strange!

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys I'm on my second new HTC One handset since the 19th March and I'm beginning to lose hope! During a call if I use my speakerphone the person on the other end of the line experiences a loud, intermittent, feedback/interference noise. This only happens when I'm on speakerphone. Phones4u who I got the phone off advised me to do a hard reset which I did having no effect. They've replaced the phone with a brand new handset which I've received today but it has the same problem as the first. I've called HTC tech support and the guy basically said to send it back to Phones4u and if the 3rd phone has the same issue to call them back and they'd report it to their seniors. Is there anything I can do? Has anyone else experienced this problem? Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks.

I don't have that issue and I use. Y speaker phone almost every day.

Posted via Android Central App

kquinn99

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
I have this same problem. Person on other end of phone complains of interference and sometimes a loud banging noise.
The person on the other end is usually NOT on speaker phone though.

Thiru Lakshman

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
I seem to have the same problem with my HTC One. I have this complaints from my colleagues answering my call overseas, in this case I am calling from Malaysia to a Singapore mobile phone number. Have not had any trouble with local mobile calls though.
No matter what, I love my HTC One. I hope the HTC guys are already aware about this complaints and working on a software upgrade. For now I'll try turning off NFC, not sure if it was ON then.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cyari6908