Addon to Add a MicroSD Card

CaCHooKaMan

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
pledged $12 the other day. itd be nice to be able to still use the 32GB SD card that i have right now in addition to the 64GB thats built in.

Charles Lambton

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
I was actually discussing a similar idea the other day with a friend, but instead of having a dongle hanging off the usb port in a way that can both damage the port and the reader I was thinking it would be cooler if it was integrated into a wrap around case, the case would have a small fold up plug that connects to the micro-usb port and the internals of the card reader could be integrated into the back of the case along with one or more micro sd card slots. I would pay good money for a decent case with that integrated as a feature, maybe a battery backup as well since it already has access to the micro usb port.

Mexico619

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
I was actually discussing a similar idea the other day with a friend, but instead of having a dongle hanging off the usb port in a way that can both damage the port and the reader I was thinking it would be cooler if it was integrated into a wrap around case, the case would have a small fold up plug that connects to the micro-usb port and the internals of the card reader could be integrated into the back of the case along with one or more micro sd card slots. I would pay good money for a decent case with that integrated as a feature, maybe a battery backup as well since it already has access to the micro usb port.

Haha maybe you should start a kickstarter too?

Charles Lambton

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Haha maybe you should start a kickstarter too?

I am by no means a designer or engineer, I screw around with diy electronics in my spare time but I think designing and manufacturing that would be out of my league ( for the moment anyway). But ****, if someone wants to take the idea and run with it, be my guest!

Mexico619

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
I am by no means a designer or engineer, I screw around with diy electronics in my spare time but I think designing and manufacturing that would be out of my league ( for the moment anyway). But ****, if someone wants to take the idea and run with it, be my guest!

That's how I am too, I can come up with cool ideas but can't actually make them happen. If only those guys can see this thread and somehow implement it to their kickstarter.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
That's actually pretty cool. For me, I just don't want to deal with extra stuff. Like buying a charging pack or this. For definitely a good idea for those who want the device but those are deal breakers.

Eruditass

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
If only the micro usb slot was tough enough to have this plugged in all the time, though it would probably make it not universal.

How much bigger would it be to have a USB passthrough too, for charging?

Also, I've heard these USB OTG devices eat a lot of battery.

Charles Lambton

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
If only the micro usb slot was tough enough to have this plugged in all the time, though it would probably make it not universal.

How much bigger would it be to have a USB passthrough too, for charging?

Also, I've heard these USB OTG devices eat a lot of battery.

I'm not sure, I've used battery cases for my iphone 4 that were fairly thin and had usb passthrough for charging and sync. I think if someone spent a little time on it a case could be made that could utilize the beveled back to create a battery/sd card slot case that isn't much thicker then the phone already is, just with thicker edges. That would also give it room for USB passthrough, **** I wonder if an MHL adapter could be added in to split the USB and HDMI into separate ports. I'd hate to ruin the look of the phone and the beautiful build quality with a case that makes it both thicker and heavier but as someone that is constantly on the go doing service calls a battery backup and the ability to load micro sd cards would be very nice.

pmp6nl

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site

I was just thinking about this, it would be cool.

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I was just thinking about this, it would be cool.

I'm not saying this to be a jerk and this isn't rhetorical but why go through the hassle? If you want to use an sd card then why not get a phone that has an sd card slot?

Sent from my Note 2

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
I'm not saying this to be a jerk and this isn't rhetorical but why go through the hassle? If you want to use an sd card then why not get a phone that has an sd card slot?

Sent from my Note 2
Agreed. And if you want an HTC One with a ton of storage just get the 64gb model.

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Agreed. And if you want an HTC One with a ton of storage just get the 64gb model.

Here's a bad analogy for you. It would be like me buying an s3 and then putting a big magnifying glass over the screen as a "screen enlarger" instead of just buying the note. If you need more memory than the one has then it's probably not the phone for you

Sent from my Note 2

Gathomblipoob

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Here's a bad analogy for you. It would be like me buying an s3 and then putting a big magnifying glass over the screen as a "screen enlarger" instead of just buying the note. If you need more memory than the one has then it's probably not the phone for you

Sent from my Note 2

Agreed. I wouldn't want a dongle hanging from the bottom of my phone, but that's my personal opinion.

Charles Lambton

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site

Well the 64 GB model of the one isn't available on all carriers everywhere, if Rogers in Canada had it then I would be buying it not the 32GB model. As it stands for some stupid reason Canada is only getting the 32GB model and that is apparently happening in other countries as well.

That being said, 32GB is probably more then enough for me. In terms of how I use my phone it varies greatly depending on the number of service calls I do a day, sometimes I make it through a day no problem, other times it's practically dead by 3 or 4 and I still have hours to go. I would love to have the ability to pull a case out of my work bag that I can slide the one into that would both give it a charge and give me access to a Micro-SD card slot when needed. That being said, it's not something I would keep on it at all times and it probably wouldn't be used more then once a week, but the times I do need it I would like to have it.

I want the One for the great build quality and raw power it's coming with, I'd like to have an easily attachable card slot and battery but that doesn't mean I should be getting a different phone and sacrificing in the areas that really matter to me.

Charles Lambton

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site

Sent from my Note 2

Because I don't regularly use an SD card slot, I'm merely pointing out that instead of having a micro-sd card reader hanging off the side of the device it would work better as a case. I'm sure battery charging cases for the One will be popping up soon so It would be nice to have that as an added feature. Honestly having an SD card slot or not isn't a deal breaker or winner, it would be a nice thing to have in case I need it but I'm not going to look over the other great features of the One just because it doesn't have it.

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Well the 64 GB model of the one isn't available on all carriers everywhere, if Rogers in Canada had it then I would be buying it not the 32GB model. As it stands for some stupid reason Canada is only getting the 32GB model and that is apparently happening in other countries as well.
Yeah, that could be an issue if you don't want to fork over the additional bucks for the DE.

Charles Lambton

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, that could be an issue if you don't want to fork over the additional bucks for the DE.

We can't even officially get the developer edition. It's being sold in the US only. I'd have to get it marked up on ebay or get it shipped to a P.O. box on the other other side of the border and drive down and get it.