Thinking of changing my lumia 920 for HTC one

hamzie11

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
hey guys, wp8 user here ? been looking at the htc one recently

the only thing i have on my mind.. is live tiles.. im just really used to them

anything similar to live tiles for android?
e.g. i can just pin a tv show app to the start screen, and at a glance the live tile tells me what shows will be airing on the day so i dont need to launch the app

im pretty sure for ios.. the apps just show a (1) on it and you have to go into the app to see what the notification is

is that how it is for android too?

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
hey guys, wp8 user here ? been looking at the htc one recently

the only thing i have on my mind.. is live tiles.. im just really used to them

anything similar to live tiles for android?
e.g. i can just pin a tv show app to the start screen, and at a glance the live tile tells me what shows will be airing on the day so i dont need to launch the app

im pretty sure for ios.. the apps just show a (1) on it and you have to go into the app to see what the notification is

is that how it is for android too?

Don't think Android has anything like that. If that user interface is something you like then you might want to stick with it. I personally don't like how empty the app store is, the current design of WP8 devices and the interface but if you haven't tried Android you might like something about it that WP8 doesn't have.

I'd wait for the HTC One to come out in stores with a demo unit and try it out for a little bit to see if you'd like to switch to Android.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

McSkullough

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
And to answer the lady question, yes, the app must be opened. The tools used for the Launcher 8 are not live tiles.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Jaymil

Neutronbomb
Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Launcher 8 isn't going to address the issue that he's asking about...specifically the apps showing info in the tiles. I just sold my lumia 920 last week.. waiting on the one myself. The best way to acheive what you're looking for is going to be with widgets. You won't get everything on one screen probably but if the app you're wanting the info from has a widget, that info will usually be displayed in it. Widgets vary by app though and some are more useful than others.

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
My personal opinion is that proper notifications like you have in Android will make you not care about live tiles.

But that's just me.

bjb_nyj101

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
My personal opinion is that proper notifications like you have in Android will make you not care about live tiles.

These "proper notifications" you speak of have nothing to do with the use case he's looking to replicate:

OP, there may be widgets that can replace some of the features you're looking for

Russ Smith

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Hmm alright thanks for the help guys

So widgets have the same function as live tiles? theyll keep getting updated?

Yea they update, not same function though.
I came from wp7, and I don't miss the live tiles. The notification centre will handle all notifications in the same place and if it's info like weather or rss then there's plently of widgets for that. I thought i'd miss them but I haven't looked back :)

Sent from my HTC One

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Tiviko app looks like it can do similar to what you are asking

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1365511900180.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1365511900180.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 43

Trending Posts