Post pre-order 2nd guessing?

ScottRx82

Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
Ok, so like most of you here, I've already placed my pre-order for the One (on Sprint). And like most of you, I do think this is gonna be a hell of a phone with a long list of enjoyable features. But....

I'm still in love with my EVO LTE. I truly think it went under the radar and wasn't given its fair dues, mainly because it was a Sprint exclusive, and Sprint's network...well, yeah. Granted, there were some lengthy periods of bug issues (never rooted), but fixes came, and I feel Jelly Bean has helped keep it highly competitive a year after its release. I'm also still extremely impressed by its build quality. Obviously, the new One takes the cake in the physical build department. But for a year old phone, the Evo's hardware is still as impressive to me as it was a year ago. Regardless, I was impressed with what I saw in the One, and pulled the trigger on the pre-order. Now that the One is almost here, I'm finding that I'm not anticipating the transition as much as I was a year ago going from the Evo 3d to the LTE, and it's for the following reasons...

1. Lack of expandable memory - I know this has been discussed to death, and I didn't think it would make a world of difference at first. But with no 64GB option, I'm starting to seriously question the storage limitation. I'm probably in the minority, but I've got over 30 gigs of music on my 64GB microSD card in my Evo. I'm a music lover, and hate having to decide what "makes the cut," and my phone is my music player at the gym. The reality that I'm gonna have to cut out a ton of music sucks.

2. No kickstand - yes, I'm aware there will be case options, but I look forward to going "naked" with the One as often as possible (who doesn't want to show off this beauty?). I find myself using the kickstand alot on my Evo, and I know I'll miss that option without masking the One's beauty with a case.

3. No option to remove black menu bar at bottom - ok, it may not be in every app, but it's in enough to be noticed. When HTC rolled out the update to give EVO users the option to make the recent apps button a menu button, I was very pleased. How HTC can deny their new flagship device a similar option is kind of mind blowing. It's the app developers' fault for not incorporating the software menu, but HTC has to recognize there being a need for a workaround.

4. Screen size - and this isn't even saying that the screen should be bigger. But in comparison to my upgrade from the Evo 3d (4.3 inch) to the LTE (4.7), there's less "new" factor involved.

So are these reasons for hesitating and putting off the One? Anyone else with similar thoughts? I'm a little torn I guess. There's no denying, from virtually all reviews I've seen, that the One is an impressive phone and perhaps the strongest Android to date. But at the same time, the change doesn't feel as big as it should due to "losing" some features I've grown to love and take advantage of on the Evo. And in due time, I'm confident the Evo will get Sense 5, and the main differences then will be hardware specs and features (the extra GB of Ram, Boomsound, and the build quality - but again, after the One, I feel like the Evo is one of the best built devices out there.) I almost feel like I'm falling victim to just wanting the latest and greatest moreso than making a significant upgrade. Am I just feeling the Evo's jealous glares asking me if it's really over, am I overthinking this? Help, make things clearer and convince me this is a bigger upgrade than I'm seeing!!

Acelx

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
You have a EVO 4G LTE but you are 2nd guessing buying the HTC One?

have fun without a exclusive Sprint phone this year since the EVO line seem to be dead this year.

mysidx

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I almost feel like I'm falling victim to just wanting the latest and greatest moreso than making a significant upgrade.

I think you are right, I know I feel that way.

HTC One X

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
If you are second guessing then guess that's something you need to decide on. I'm coming from the evo lte also and I couldn't be more ready or excited! Yes it is a small upgrade on hardware. That's fine with me. You aren't going to see any break through device that is heads above the rest.
Expandable memory? Personally I don't care about it..with drop box I put all my videos and photos there and only use my phone for app storage.
Battery? I don't care about that in fact prefer that the battery is non removable for a cleaner look without edges and cracks in the armor..I only keep my phone's about a year and I keep a car charger.
People will find reasons to second guess themselves or try to find fault in a phone..nothing in life is perfect..we will always find faults in everything that we use.I personally will try to see the good things I love about the new HTC one and enjoy the anxious feeling of anticipation almost like Christmas.
For some it is a addiction, the newest gadget. I'm not rich but my girl understands the one thing that brings me real joy in life is my cell phone. I don't understand why when someone has doubts why they come to a forum to tell us all about it. Sounds like a personal battle

Sent from my amazing HTC ONE Quietly brilliant!

DWS44

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I've pre-ordered a One and I'm coming from an Evo LTE as well, albeit a short-term user. I was hoping my OG Evo 4G would make it till the 2013 phones came out, but it started acting up back in January. I picked up an Evo LTE on ebay to tide me over. Its been a really nice solid phone in the interim, but I find myself hoping the One does a little better with low signal levels. With all the talk about how much better the One should handle signal reception, I'm really looking forward to it! No regrets here.

...and enjoy the anxious feeling of anticipation almost like Christmas...For some it is a addiction, the newest gadget.

Guilty...on both counts! :D hehe

Acelx

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
You guys are never going to be able to keep up with Android unless you like spending $2,000 a year on phones since you going to always be buying them full price if you always want the latest and greatest..

Contracts and upgrades are useless when it comes to the way OEMs release phones. You got the HTC One coming out, then the Galaxy s4, a rumor Nexus 5, a Galaxy Note 3, and a rumor user customizable Motorola X phone..

vamp07

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm coming from a one x, I just hope battery life is significantly better. I could care less about removable battery. I would never carry two batteries. I love how so many reviews make a big deal of this. What I hate about the one x is that it does not have good battery life and charging is very slow. If the one is similar ill be very disappointed.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress