Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree15Likes
  • 1 Post By Russ Smith
  • 5 Post By L1V3RB1RD
  • 4 Post By BigDinCA
  • 4 Post By RG129
  • 1 Post By idgaf03
  • 1 Post By Topgonzo
  • 1 Post By warpdrive
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Re: Phone Arena Camera Comparison

The htc does look weaker in the camera department, works for what I want and still wouldn't want to lose zoes for the extra mp though

sent from my awesome HTC One B-)
    TomsAndroid likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Smith View Post
    The htc does look weaker in the camera department, works for what I want and still wouldn't want to lose zoes for the extra mp though

sent from my awesome HTC One B-)
    I will test drive the One and see if the camera if adequate enough for my needs. That's really the only thing I don't like and maybe the smallish screen. As much as I like the S4's bells and whistles, many of them probably would not be used at all or at least on a do or die basis.

photos i take with any phone end up on fb instagram etc. no need for a great camera, thats what my canon is for

Global Posts
    6 Global Posts

damn that photos are bad

Carrier
    Stock

Yippee! I was hoping someone would finally start a thread on the HTC One camera...

Global Posts
    307 Global Posts

The camera comparisons have been showing to be really inconsistent. I've seen some camera comparisons where the HTC One seemed to produce the best pictures, and then there have been reviews/comparisons where the photos look awful. These look pretty awful.

Even the reviews don't seem to be consistent, with some saying the camera is mediocre, and some praising the camera! You would think that such an objective feature as camera quality would have consistent reviews...

Those are by far the worst comparison examples I've seen out of the One - I wonder why these differ so much from those on other sites? Maybe the device in question hadn't received the software update the supposedly increases camera quality.
    TomsAndroid likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by idgaf03 View Post
    Those are by far the worst comparison examples I've seen out of the One - I wonder why these differ so much from those on other sites? Maybe the device in question hadn't received the software update the supposedly increases camera quality.
    I'm starting to think it really comes down to messing with the settings. Sounds like the out of the box auto stuff isn't ideal for adapting to every situation. Who knows though.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by RG129 View Post
    The camera comparisons have been showing to be really inconsistent. I've seen some camera comparisons where the HTC One seemed to produce the best pictures, and then there have been reviews/comparisons where the photos look awful. These look pretty awful.

Even the reviews don't seem to be consistent, with some saying the camera is mediocre, and some praising the camera! You would think that such an objective feature as camera quality would have consistent reviews...
    From everything I've read, the consistent criticism is that the One's camera isnt very good in well lit outdoor situations and by and large lacks the detail and sharpness of other cameras. Most of the praise centers around the software gimmicks, the speed and low light pics. It really depends on what the user intends to use the camera for, if the camera is even an important feature.

Carrier
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by RG129 View Post

I think the reason they are all over the place is because the camera IS totally subjective. I looked at the pics in that article and can honestly say that some of the HTC pics were the best of a given subject. Sometimes it was the S4 and a few times the iP5 or the Sony, though in low light settings the iP5 is a total dog. What I do realize, for myself, is this: the Nokia is overrated and the HTC sensor is what I would prefer. Everything else is software. It really is that simple, otherwise the Experia and the Sammy would be identical since they share the same sensor. There is noise in some of the HTC shots and it does have issues with blowing out darker images that are close to bright light sources, but that can be fixed with some tweaks to the post-processor. I think the potential that the bigger sensor has is exciting and will only improve once they start to tweak the software.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by BigDinCA View Post
    I think the reason they are all over the place is because the camera IS totally subjective. I looked at the pics in that article and can honestly say that some of the HTC pics were the best of a given subject. Sometimes it was the S4 and a few times the iP5 or the Sony, though in low light settings the iP5 is a total dog. What I do realize, for myself, is this: the Nokia is overrated and the HTC sensor is what I would prefer. Everything else is software. It really is that simple, otherwise the Experia and the Sammy would be identical since they share the same sensor. There is noise in some of the HTC shots and it does have issues with blowing out darker images that are close to bright light sources, but that can be fixed with some tweaks to the post-processor. I think the potential that the bigger sensor has is exciting and will only improve once they start to tweak the software.
    Some of this is true HOWEVER, the lack of MPs will always dictate that the One falls short on zooms, crops and anything larger than 5x7. Again, perhaps for a lot of people that wont matter.

Quote Originally Posted by idgaf03 View Post
    they have the version on the last page of the review

HTC One - Android 4.1.2, Build number 1.28.401.7

thats the latest version available without installing a custom ROM i believe. the update from 1.27 to 1.28 was supposed to fix the camera though.

HTC One software update improves camera performance - GSMArena.com news

Do people ever go to forums they don't like and say things to stir the pot?
    adriandb likes this.

Carrier
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by madlaw1071 View Post
    Some of this is true HOWEVER, the lack of MPs will always dictate that the One falls short on zooms, crops and anything larger than 5x7. Again, perhaps for a lot of people that wont matter.
    When cell phone cameras get optical zoom technology I will worry about zooming. Digital zoom sucks. Period. And I don't buy the 5X7 thing - I've printed bigger pictures with smaller cameras over the years with little loss of detail or sharpness.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Quote Originally Posted by Topgonzo View Post
    Do people ever go to forums they don't like and say things to stir the pot?
    You mean like you over at the S4 forum?

I've read that the HTC One can take good pics in general--but that you must fiddle with the settings a lot more to get the best shot.

O Boy Zomg who knew?!?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Phone Arena Camera Comparison-htc_one_two.jpg   Phone Arena Camera Comparison-htc_one_one.jpg  

You would think that ......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Phone Arena Camera Comparison-htconesuck2..jpg   Phone Arena Camera Comparison-htconesuck3..jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Habiib View Post
    O Boy Zomg who knew?!?
    Which pics were taken with which camera and with what settings?

Quote Originally Posted by just.garet View Post
    Which pics were taken with which camera and with what settings?
    All pictures were taken with the HTC One. Supposedly out the box settings. The more appealing photos were taken during initial reviews. The "other" photos were taken during comparison test. Kind of a coincidence that it just happened to take worst pictures when being compared to the competition.

Global Posts
    344 Global Posts

There is nothing wrong withe camera on the one. It's actually quite awesome. If you rate it based on resolution of cores you will be disappointed. I rarely crop photos. I think people are also not taking into account given its ability to capture more light it will shoot with higher shutter speed most of the time, the reality of this camera is you will end up with fuzzy picture much less often. Reviewers are generally focusing on sharpness in generally still scenes. That is not the reality of the type of pictures most of us take with our phones.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Quote Originally Posted by vamp07 View Post
    There is nothing wrong withe camera on the one. It's actually quite awesome. If you rate it based on resolution of cores you will be disappointed. I rarely crop photos. I think people are also not taking into account given its ability to capture more light it will shoot with higher shutter speed most of the time, the reality of this camera is you will end up with fuzzy picture much less often. Reviewers are generally focusing on sharpness in generally still scenes. That is not the reality of the type of pictures most of us take with our phones.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    While I agree with you for the most part, the camera still has the same white balance flaws of its past cameras. It also has It's oversharpening flaws of old, and has poor dynamic range as compared to others. Let's also not forget that It's color rendition is also quite flat.

While you can fix 2 of the 4 problems in the camera settings, I would not say that there is nothing wrong with it. This camera has flaws and is far from perfect.

sent with my 2 year old HTC evo3d
    madlaw1071 likes this.

Compared to the best smartphone cameras (Nokia) the HTC One seems to be able to generate very good results against the Nokia lineup (sans the Monster 808). I don't think any other phone in the Android lineup can come close to Nokia's offerings except the HTC One.

The big shootout: Nokia 808 vs HTC One vs Lumia 920 vs an imposter(!)

or here

UltraPixel vs PureView: HTC One & Nokia Lumia 920 Camera Shoot-Out | Pocketnow

Global Posts
    767 Global Posts

Oh great, another 'let's zoom in all the way so obviously the higher MP camera will look better' post.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums