ATT HTC One to Tmobile.

ewgrosschris

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Would it be possible to buy the HTC One for fullprice from ATT on the 19th, and then take it to Tmobile in order to get on the "Un-Carrier" plans? I'm in dire need of a new phone now that my iPhone 4 is slowly turing into a turd. Screen issues. Lock Button. Battery Life. ect...

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Would it be possible to buy the HTC One for fullprice from ATT on the 19th, and then take it to Tmobile in order to get on the "Un-Carrier" plans? I'm in dire need of a new phone now that my iPhone 4 is slowly turing into a turd. Screen issues. Lock Button. Battery Life. ect...

I'm not sure att sells phones to people who don't have an account with them. They probably do but don't be surprised if they don't. Then you would have to get it unlocked. Att probably won't unlock it for you and you'll have to pay to get it done. You best bet is to wait as the above suggested or get a factory unlocked one.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Android Central Forums

ewgrosschris

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Ok, thanks guys. Guess my best option is to wait till TMobile releases the One. I hope it doesnt get pushed back any further or I may have to consider other carriers.

stevedebi

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
And remember that a factory unlocked on or an art one does not support T Mobiles HSPA bands in most places.

I bought my wife a Galaxy S3 Mini, which is an international phone. Anyway, it does not have the T-Mobile AWS bands unique to T-Mobile. I have found that T-Mobile coverage here in the LA area is pretty good on 1900 HSPA (although it is limited to 21 speeds). On that basis I ordered my unlocked dev edition. T-Mobile is also rolling out LTE in metro areas, so I'm hoping to cash in on that this year.

I didn't wait for the T-Mobile version because I want 64gb, and only ATT will have that. Plus it won't violate the warranty to unlock the dev model, since it is already unlocked. So I should be able to root easily.

rashp

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Among ATT, T-mobile and straight from HTC web unlock; I would buy t-mobile version as it covers all frequency bands for t-mobile, ATT and other GSM carriers out their in world.
Here is question. Walmart sells HTC One for ATT, T-mobile, Sprint, etc. If I select HTC One for T-mobile unlock version and ask them to activate on ATT, would that work ? Idea is when I leave ATT than the same phone can easily be used on t-mobile. Other side of coin is by next year, t-mobile may have re-farmed it's current WCDMA/HSPA+ from 1700mhz to common 1900MHz and also built out enough LTE network to cover 200 million USA customers so the phone will mostly will use LTE and not depend on HSPA and LTE(band 4,17) is same for ATT and t-mobile.

stevedebi

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
Among ATT, T-mobile and straight from HTC web unlock; I would buy t-mobile version as it covers all frequency bands for t-mobile, ATT and other GSM carriers out their in world.
Here is question. Walmart sells HTC One for ATT, T-mobile, Sprint, etc. If I select HTC One for T-mobile unlock version and ask them to activate on ATT, would that work ? Idea is when I leave ATT than the same phone can easily be used on t-mobile. Other side of coin is by next year, t-mobile may have re-farmed it's current WCDMA/HSPA+ from 1700mhz to common 1900MHz and also built out enough LTE network to cover 200 million USA customers so the phone will mostly will use LTE and not depend on HSPA and LTE(band 4,17) is same for ATT and t-mobile.

Wal-Mart can't unlock a T-Mobile phone. It has to be done by the carrier.

stevedebi

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
It's a waste to use a phone like this on a crappy network like T-Horrible's 99% EDGE network.

It certainly depends upon where you live. My wife has an Siii Mini, which being international does not have AWS or LTE. She gets good speeds on 1900 HSPA. I think TMO will be rolling out more and more 1900 HSPA and LTE this year, so it might work out for those without the TMO AWS.