How is T-Mobile service ?

chestont

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
North Carolina is good in the markets that have hspa+ 42. However the coverage is terrible once you get outside major metro areas.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Acelx

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm in NJ and work in Manhattan.. When i had T-Mobile the service at my house sucked so bad.. You seriously need to walk down the block to make a phone call,

But if you was in a urban area like the city etc its pretty ok..

Suburbs nah..

Sapient2k7

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Coverage in Raleigh, Durham Cary area seems to be ok. I am getting more bars than sprint. With wifi calling indoor signal strength matters less with tmobile than with other carriers.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Coverage in Raleigh, Durham Cary area seems to be ok. I am getting more bars than sprint. With wifi calling indoor signal strength matters less with tmobile than with other carriers.

I'm also in Raleigh, and have been thinking about jumping ship from Sprint to T-Mobile but don't know how good the signal is. I normally work in the Morrisville/Cary area but I'm often in Apex, Fuquay-Varina and Holly Springs.

Do you know if T-Mo has good reception on those areas?

Thanks.

Sent from my Photon 4G that Stupid Motorola will not upgrade to ICS or any other newer form of Android because they're a bunch of lying bastards (and deserve to go to h e ll!) using Android Central Forums

Sapient2k7

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I work in morrisville/Cary area and I live in Durham. I have a nexus 4 on the $30 monthly 4g plan and tmobile seems to be very good. I have tested about 7-8 Mbps dl and ul around town. It even works inside the buildings. I have been trying to use sensorly so that it updates its maps. currently it does not show any coverage in places where I can get 10 Mbps download easily. Tmobile coverage maps seem to indicate good coverage in most of the town and it seems they have valid coverage maps.
Indoor coverage may be a problem as tmobile operates on 1700/2100 which is going to have issues inside buildings. Verizon and AT&T operate on lower frequencies and have better penetration however, wifi calling should take care of this issue for tmobile . Unfortunately, I have not been able to test this as nexus 4 doesn't support this however talkative and grooveip both seem to work great.

I don't travel to apex, holly springs, Fuquay area at all. I do go to Charlotte often and coverage is ok near the school (unc). I have also tested coverage in parts of Hickory and found tmobile to be pretty fast.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. In Raleigh and other Metro areas my Photon works pretty good on 4G WiMax, but in the areas where I work on Morrisville and Holly Springs 3G is very slow.

How good does the $30 plan work for you? I've been tempted but I do talk a lot on the phone because of my work and I'm afraid that if I don't get good data coverage to use my google voice I will go over those 100 minutes in a heart beat!

Sent from my Photon 4G that Stupid Motorola will not upgrade to ICS or any other newer form of Android because they're a bunch of lying bastards (and deserve to go to h e ll!) using Android Central Forums

Sapient2k7

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
yeah, I felt the difference immediately when I upgraded from my EVO 3D to EVO LTE. I love the phone but in terms of service it was definitely a noticeable downgrade.

The $30 plan has been ok so far. This is my secondary phone. I was in the same boat (needing to talk for work) and with Sprint roaming consuming your landline minutes I crossed the 450 min limit 2 months in a row which was very expensive. It has worked well enough but since, it is for work I am still prone to using voice calls rather than data as I am risk averse. I generally avoid being the one everyone is having trouble hearing on a conf call and I go with tried and true when it comes to work :).

I was looking into tmobile because of their wifi calling support which unfortunately is not available for my Nexus 4. i have heard that it works really well. Inside my office building Sprint has really weak signal so the battery dies down really fast. I was using roam control on my EVO 3D to fix that but EVO LTE is not rooted so i couldn't use that. Raleigh area was supposed to get LTE in december but Sprint is running late as it has run into money issues which don't seem to be getting resolved any time soon (with Dish throwing in their hat in the ring as well). I did notice that there are LTE towers working near Morrisville carpentar and Davis intersection. It was about 6Mbps UL and 2 Mbps DL. Tmobile gave me about 10-12 DL and 7-8 UL in the same area.

I am looking at the new tmobile uncarrier plan which will give me unlimited minutes and texting. With 2 lines it will be $80 with 500 Mbs of data at 4G and anything above at 2G. This is fair bit cheaper than what I am getting with Sprint and additional 2 GB of data is only $10 (per line) this also includes tethering support.

htowngator

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
T-MO is budget for a reason. Outside of major cities you're still at 2G data and sometimes no connection at all.

If you live in a major city, especially one with LTE now, then it's a good deal.

rydubois

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
T-MO is budget for a reason. Outside of major cities you're still at 2G data and sometimes no connection at all.

If you live in a major city, especially one with LTE now, then it's a good deal.

Is their coverage map fairly accurate? According to the map my home and area around me is between good and excellent 4G coverage, so I would assume I should be good. I also know assuming can be dangerous....

Sapient2k7

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
In my testing it has been fairly accurate (RDU area, parts of Charlotte, Dallas, San Jose) . With the failed merger it now should be able to roam on AT&T much more easily as well.

htowngator

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Is their coverage map fairly accurate? According to the map my home and area around me is between good and excellent 4G coverage, so I would assume I should be good. I also know assuming can be dangerous....

Coverage map is likely accurate but they simply don't have the tower coverage to keep top signal in that range. Only one I've ever seen is Verizon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

rydubois

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
I appreciate the replies guys. For me then T-Mo is the way to go, they seem to have very solid coverage in the area I tend to be in and I'd like some actual speed from my phone.

Now they just need to officially tell me when I can get my phone, and actually carry it in a store around here.

Traveler62

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
They share many towers with AT&T, but the main reason I stick with Tmo is for the WiFi calling. Unless things have changed for other carriers, they are the only one to have this feature. I can make and recieve calls when I am out of the country if I have a good WiFi signal in a hotel or restaurant for no extra, just uses the minutes on the plan. That is perfect since I travel often.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Id recommend you set up a line of service with them and do a lot of testing during your first 14 days. Even though its no contract stuff you should still have your 14 day no questions asked kick the tires cancellation policy.
I did this in Dallas and was so happy i ported my number on day 10.
Coverage will vary by every location, even down to neighborhoods.

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Indoor coverage may be a problem as tmobile operates on 1700/2100 which is going to have issues inside buildings

Will Tmobile's building penetration ever improve? I can be lucky to have 2 bars of Edge if I am next to a window, but if I prop my phone against the glass on the window ledge, or stick my phone out the window it immediately jumps to full bars hspa.

poncewattle

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Id recommend you set up a line of service with them and do a lot of testing during your first 14 days. Even though its no contract stuff you should still have your 14 day no questions asked kick the tires cancellation policy.

Another option is to get a Simple Mobile SIM and just buy a month of service. It uses T-Mobile service. I just got a pack of 10 Simple Mobile micro sims for 11 cents each from Amazon as an addon order. I use them for one month of service if I need to use a throwaway number for craigslist, ebay, etc... That's a great way of trying out t-mobile fairly cheaply.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34