*Discard* The HTC One's camera is clearly it's weak point!

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
The left half of the pictures are from the initial review of the HTC One, the right half was during the comparison test. I've looked at the results for quite some time. The left half was taken in 16:9 aspect ratio (initial review) and the right half was taken in 4:3 aspect ratio (for the comparison test).

The image data for the 16:9 photo (initial review) is:

F-stop f/2
Exposure time 1/1832 sec
ISO - 100
Focal length 4mm
35mm focal length 28
Flash mode - No flash, auto
Contrast - Normal
Brightness - 7.836468
Exposure - Normal
Saturation - Normal
Sharpness - Normal
White balance - Auto

There was no EXIF data for the right half of the photo. Talking out my rear, I think the right-half of each photo is a result of HTC's implementation of metering and exposure adjustment. In my experience, I was able to duplicate the results by focusing on the brightest area in the frame, which lowered the exposure. If I focused on the darkest area in the frame, the exposure was increased. I'm not sure which parameter changes during this process?. Pardon me if I mixed up terminology, but that is the best way I can describe it.

In a nutshell if I want the picture to appear darker, I would change the focal point to the brightest area in the frame prior to taking the picture. Likewise if I want a picture to appear brighter. Assuming default settings and I don't have the ISO value locked.

Edit: I'm not sure if when you manually change the focal point, how large the area is for spot-metering vs. letting the camera decide the focal point.

You do know that if you change the ficus area with a tap of your finger, you then switched from center weight metering to "spot" metering, right?

The image is only taking an exposure dead center of the box.

In before you edited

sent with my 2 year old HTC evo3d

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
But yeah, most reviews suck...the camera is quite complex and deep that a normal person could still learn some quirks a month after.

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
You do know that if you change the ficus area with a tap of your finger, you then switched from center weight metering to "spot" metering, right?

The image is only taking an exposure dead center of the box.

In before you edited

Yeah thanks, that was the term I was trying to explain. With the term ultrapixel I'm assuming the average user would expect stellar performance in all conditions, even though it's meant for low light conditions.

mmohn01

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
The Lumia 920 camera is the best part of that phone. I'd still have it if it weren't for the bugs in the software. After my 3rd 920, I just couldn't keep taking it back for another one. I really like Windows Phone and Android, but Android wins in the OS stability department. That camera even took low light pictures. This is a pic I took with the 920. There isn't a camera out there that can touch that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1366330324948.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1366330324948.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 30

JoshieMSU

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
The Lumia 920 camera is the best part of that phone. I'd still have it if it weren't for the bugs in the software. After my 3rd 920, I just couldn't keep taking it back for another one. I really like Windows Phone and Android, but Android wins in the OS stability department. That camera even took low light pictures. This is a pic I took with the 920. There isn't a camera out there that can touch that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

Disagree. Nice shot, fine at that size, mostly. However, even at that size, one can see loss of detail and noise throughout the branches and such. This is nitpicking (pixel peeping?), sort of, but you DID say that no other camera (even assuming smartphone only) can compare, which is simply not true at all.

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
The thing I find really cool its the front facing camera its a wide lens! You can hold the phone and no more trouble getting two people in it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress