Headphone controls?

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Anything with a volume slider should work as they manipulate the volume in line rather then on the device. Now the pros and cons of having two entirely separate volume controls is another conversation.

aaronlam

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
FINALLY FOUND!!!

I can confirm that these: HTC Wired Tangle Free Stereo Headset - Black have volume control buttons that work.

It's model HTC RC E240... flat wire with the mic higher up on the right side.

Volume buttons work like an iPhone. + raises volume. - lowers volume. middle button answers calls. double click middle button goes to next track. click and hold middle button activates speech search or Google Now. PERFECT.

Honestly... this should be included with the phone instead of some crippled headset. $39.99 is just a rip off but oh well. I am just happy I finally found a pair of headphones that control the volume... none of the apps or others worked for me.

Attachments

• IMAG0004.jpg
    IMAG0004.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 48

Peter Venkman

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
FINALLY FOUND!!!

I can confirm that these: HTC Wired Tangle Free Stereo Headset - Black have volume control buttons that work.

Volume buttons work like an iPhone. + raises volume. - lowers volume. middle button answers calls. double click middle button goes to next track. click and hold middle button activates speech search or Google Now. PERFECT.

Honestly... this should be included with the phone instead of some crippled headset. $39.99 is just a rip off but oh well. I am just happy I finally found a pair of headphones that control the volume... none of the apps or others worked for me.

It's nice to know these work, but the ones included with the One are not "crippled." They have one button for one-button operations. HTC never promised a multi-purpose remote, and they were free.

aaronlam

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Not talking about the ones that came with the phone. I bought another HTC headset that had 3 buttons but those controlled the tracks and not the volume. It was an older model. It was $5 gamble but none of this is specified on their website.

Those headsets that came with the phone aren't free. They are built into the price of the phone. Every iPhone comes with a headset that controls volume and call pick up and has for the last 5 years. I believe the SIII/IV do to. I like this phone but a company that only holds 9% of the market share... should pay attention to some of these details.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Koss sells an inline adapter that allows you to control volume for cheap if you don't want to buy need head phones

I personally went with a pair of koss that had them already just cuz I love the sound quality. The particular pair I got were a little pricy (50$) but I really like em

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

59er9er

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Not talking about the ones that came with the phone. I bought another HTC headset that had 3 buttons but those controlled the tracks and not the volume. It was an older model. It was $5 gamble but none of this is specified on their website.

Those headsets that came with the phone aren't free. They are built into the price of the phone. Every iPhone comes with a headset that controls volume and call pick up and has for the last 5 years. I believe the SIII/IV do to. I like this phone but a company that only holds 9% of the market share... should pay attention to some of these details.

I agree 100% with you. Sure these 3 button sets cost a little more than the single button, but when competition is bundling 3 button control with their premuim phones, HTC would be wise to follow suite with their premium phone. BTW aaronlam, do these sound the same as the included earphones or do they sound any better?

aaronlam

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I agree 100% with you. Sure these 3 button sets cost a little more than the single button, but when competition is bundling 3 button control with their premuim phones, HTC would be wise to follow suite with their premium phone. BTW aaronlam, do these sound the same as the included earphones or do they sound any better?

I honestly never opened the ones that came with the phone... since they didn't come with volume or track control. It's oddly an important feature for me... I walk over an hour a day plus running and always listen to music or podcasts so I have really gotten used to that control with my phone in my pocket.

The headphones sound as good as any in ear headphones that I have used. A little better with deeper bass than the Apple earphones (not the new ones which I haven't used). These LOOK almost identical to the ones packaged including the flat wiring... except black rubber pieces vs red.

MarkMessinger

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone tried Headset Button Controller from the Play store?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kober.headset&feature=more_from_developer#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEwMiwiY29tLmtvYmVyLmhlYWRzZXQiXQ..

There is a free trial to make sure it works. It's supposed to configure a one-button headset remote for nearly every possible function. I didn't expect HTC to bundle a decent app that could arrange the number of clicks to a certain response, but I'm curious if any app can overcome this.

Thanks for the tip about this app, Peter Venkman. It's the first one I've found in the Play Store that works with my HTC One. I'm not using Sense (instead, I use Nova Launcher). But a double-click, on the other headset control apps I'd tried always initiated a redial on the phone.

Also, this app helps to deal with the need to use different music apps. Since Headset Button Controller allows for creation of different profiles and can be selectively assigned to individual or groups of music apps, I find I can deal with how these different apps handle button clicks. Some apps have settings that deal with button clicks, others do not.

. . . but, is $2.99 too much to pay, for the full version of Headset Button Controller? I leave that topic for some other thread.

Jon Leunen

May 17, 2013
Visit site
FINALLY FOUND!!!

Thanks for finding these! Do you know if voice controls are included? Can I hold the middle button and say "Call Kate" and actually have it make a call? Or does it only do search? I run a lot so this is actually quite important to me. My phone is in an armband when I run and I don't want to have to take it out and look through contacts.

I just upgraded from an iPhone 4 this week and I'm actually quite peeved at HTC. The One is supposed to be a premium phone and the included headphones only have play/pause and redial functions. I'm about to shell out an extra $40 for headphones and I still don't know if it will have all the functionality of the ones included in my old phone. I don't think interface/controls should be something any manfacturer should go cheap on.

aaronlam

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for finding these! Do you know if voice controls are included? Can I hold the middle button and say "Call Kate" and actually have it make a call? Or does it only do search? I run a lot so this is actually quite important to me. My phone is in an armband when I run and I don't want to have to take it out and look through contacts.

I just upgraded from an iPhone 4 this week and I'm actually quite peeved at HTC. The One is supposed to be a premium phone and the included headphones only have play/pause and redial functions. I'm about to shell out an extra $40 for headphones and I still don't know if it will have all the functionality of the ones included in my old phone. I don't think interface/controls should be something any manfacturer should go cheap on.

Ugh. No. I've come to realize I love a lot of what Android and this phone can do but miss some things I had become dependent on.

If the phone is unlocked from his home screen... holding down the power button will activate the speech/search feature. Which will make calls but as far as I know, can't control the music player. I used to tell my iPhone: Play running mix and it will start that playlist. BUT, if the screen is locked or off, then it won't activate the speech/search feature.

Haven't figure out a way around this. Just getting used to switching the phone off vibrate and turning on my music before going on my run... maybe 4.2.2 will bring some changes. Or iPhone 6 will be great. The Sept iPhone looks like a rehash of iPhone 5 which I hate.

aaronlam

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

Hmm.. those look cool but probably not going to run with those on :)

Yes... I understand that bluetooth controlled phones work great. For what it's worth... the Bluetooth connection in my car with a Sony headunit works great as well... including track control on the headunit.

Jon Leunen

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Ugh. No. I've come to realize I love a lot of what Android and this phone can do but miss some things I had become dependent on.

If the phone is unlocked from his home screen... holding down the power button will activate the speech/search feature. Which will make calls but as far as I know, can't control the music player. I used to tell my iPhone: Play running mix and it will start that playlist. BUT, if the screen is locked or off, then it won't activate the speech/search feature.

Haven't figure out a way around this. Just getting used to switching the phone off vibrate and turning on my music before going on my run... maybe 4.2.2 will bring some changes. Or iPhone 6 will be great. The Sept iPhone looks like a rehash of iPhone 5 which I hate.
Thanks for the info. That hurts. It hurts me deep. Between work, running, and the gym I probably have my earbuds in about five hours a day. I need to be able to control my phone without the screen. Yesterday, I took my earbuds out completely and ran in silence. That's why I googled for a solution today and found this thread. So much emphasis in tech is on voice recognition nowadays and voice control is old hat for Apple. I'll sleep on it first, but I guess I'll have to return this phone.

MartyB79

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
Just use winamp... Free version and enable headset control in settings.
one click play/pause, 2 clicks next track, 3 previous track..
works perfectly on my HTC one that I just got today :-D
I have same headphones as pic.. one button control only.

Let me know if it works for you!

MartyB79

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
Nevermind. Worked like a charm yesterday but today back to redialing.... Don't have a clue why... So I guess a good playlist is the only simple solution!

MartyB79

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
Would be nice if there was a way to double click volume ctrl to skip forward/backward. There should be an app for that :). But didn't find one ...

Last edited: