HTC One not for me, not now anyway. HOLD UP! Now it is.

shadrap

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Long story short. I paid a premium to get the ATT HTC One early. Like you guys, I am a phone fanatic and an early adopter. So, why did I not keep it? First lets talk about the good.

Positve
Build quality: All of you have heard about it and it is undoubtedly one of the best build qualities ever. Much better without a case, than with though. Size is great without, with a case for me it's just too much.

Screen: Wow. Just looks phenomenal, best screen ever.

Sense 5: For the most part I liked it. This phone is generally blazing fast. Fastest I have ever used.

Blinkfeed: Works great, but you kinda need to be into RSS feeds or social networking for it to be worthwhile.

Camera: Coming from an iPhone 5. I believe the camera was good for normal use. Great in low light.

Zoes: Works as advertised.

TV Remote: Loved not looking for the remote and easy to setup. More options would be great.

Negative
Sense 5: I am not sure why HTC has not figured out multitasking by now. I use my phones for business. In fact, my business is almost entirely done through apps. For example: While feeling out forms, if a call comes in or I switched to text messaging for a few minutes. All of the info on my forms would be lost. The app would restart and the information I was working on would be gone. This is not acceptable for business. Especially seeing has how I am back to using a Galaxy S2 that does multitasking with ease. Also, sometimes the buttons, Back and Home become unresponsive. I am not sure why and hope that it can be fixed during an update.

Camera: The camera app for the HTC One will not allow you to change MP. My job requires smaller sized photos. Usually 2.0MP. There is no option to change the size.

Battery Life: My work requires quite a bit of screen on time. The battery drain to 57% within 2 hours. For me, this was not acceptable.

So, all in all. This is a great phone. Just for me and my use it did not workout. If the multitasking issue and the unresponsive button issue is fixed. I would most certainly reconsider.

Last edited:

htowngator

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Re: HTC One not for me, not now anyway.

Two hours to 57%? No way

You must have been in a terribly weak signal area or something to have it drain that badly even under heavy use.

RobbyRob

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site

I've been using mine non stop since it got here at 2pm and it's 10 now. I am JUST hitting 10%. I think its in your head. And multitasking. It's android. You will always have problems with something. But all the positives out weigh the negatives. You should look at the iPhone I hear they are dropping the price because of falling stocks.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

shadrap

May 17, 2010
Visit site

Two hours to 57%? No way

You must have been in a terribly weak signal area or something to have it drain that badly even under heavy use.

That is what I thought, but the use was very heavy. Navigation for about 30 minutes. Then 1.5 hours using forms on an app. Again consider the screen was on the whole time. I do not fault the phone, as much as I do the usage, but this was my experience.

Acelx

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site

If the user is not happy let him /her return the device

It's always a love hate thing with HTC

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

Long story short. I paid a premium to get the ATT HTC One early. Like you guys, I am a phone fanatic and an early adopter. So, why did I not keep it? First lets talk about the good.

Positve
Build quality: All of you have heard about it and it is undoubtedly one of the best build qualities ever. Much better without a case, than with though. Size is great without, with a case for me it's just too much.

Screen: Wow. Just looks phenomenal, best screen ever.

Sense 5: For the most part I liked it. This phone is generally blazing fast. Fastest I have ever used.

Blinkfeed: Works great, but you kinda need to be into RSS feeds or social networking for it to be worthwhile.

Camera: Coming from an iPhone 5. I believe the camera was good for normal use. Great in low light.

Zoes: Works as advertised.

TV Remote: Loved not looking for the remote and easy to setup. More options would be great.

Negative
Sense 5: I am not sure why HTC has not figured out multitasking by now. I use my phones for business. In fact, my business is almost entirely done through apps. For example: While feeling out forms, if a call comes in or I switched to text messaging for a few minutes. All of the info on my forms would be lost. The app would restart and the information I was working on would be gone. This is not acceptable for business. Especially seeing has how I am back to using a Galaxy S2 that does multitasking with ease. Also, sometimes the buttons, Back and Home become unresponsive. I am not sure why and hope that it can be fixed during an update.

Camera: The camera app for the HTC One will not allow you to change MP. My job requires smaller sized photos. Usually 2.0MP. There is no option to change the size.

Battery Life: My work requires quite a bit of screen on time. The battery drain to 57% within 2 hours. For me, this was not acceptable.

So, all in all. This is a great phone. Just for me and my use it did not workout. If the multitasking issue and the unresponsive button issue is fixed. I would most certainly reconsider.

These are reasonable. It does not sound like the phone is best for your uses. Unfortunately for the battery life your only option is either a RAZR maxx on Verizon or one of the external battery tanks.

The multitasking issue is odd, because htc handsets haven't done that in a year or so. How long were you on the call for? If it was an extended period that may explain why.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

HOLLYWOODANT215

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site

Haters are going to hate!

Remember what the doormouse said, feed your head!

How can u say he is hating?? He sharing his experience with the phone.... I've killed battery's fast also.... He posted a lot of the positives everybody knows about, he owns the phone now so real world usage can differ from these reviews and blogs....

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

These are reasonable. It does not sound like the phone is best for your uses. Unfortunately for the battery life your only option is either a RAZR maxx on Verizon or one of the external battery tanks.

The multitasking issue is odd, because htc handsets haven't done that in a year or so. How long were you on the call for? If it was an extended period that may explain why.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Galaxy Note 2 also has some pretty outstanding battery life from what I hear. Not Razr Max levels, but well above average.

Gathomblipoob

May 6, 2010
Visit site

How can u say he is hating?? He sharing his experience with the phone.... I've killed battery's fast also.... He posted a lot of the positives everybody knows about, he owns the phone now so real world usage can differ from these reviews and blogs....

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Hater=different opinion.

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site

Galaxy Note 2 is probably the best choice based on your job. Battery life is excellent, easy multi-task and lots of camera settings.

Thanks for a very clear review based on your experience.

Sent from my SCH-I925 using Android Central Forums

mcpricex

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site

If it is not for you its a shame, especially as you have seen the best bits for yourself.

Out of interest, how does the battery life compare to your iBone? My One battery is actually getting better after the first two weeks so maybe it is a case of going through the charging cycle a few times. Unfortunately any touchscreen phone is going to suffer poor battery life if the screen is on so much, obviously some more than others, but that is the price we pay for the devices we choose. In your case, if that is what you need then I think you either need some kind of mobile charging or something with a removeable battery so you can carry a spare.

Interesting that you say you used the nav function, in my experience gps is a real juice guzzler and I never use it in the car without a decent charger. ! Cheap chargers can actually supply less power than gps consumes, trust me been there, nothing worse than getting lost with a flat phone even though it is plugged into power. Is it possible that you left the gps switched on after your journey was finished?

Haven't experienced the multi tasking issue so can't comment but you do make a good point about the camera, it seems like such a basic function that I never realised it wasn't there. Interesting that you can change the video resolution but not the still camera? Maybe there is an alternative app that can do the job.

hodan

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site

That is what I thought, but the use was very heavy. Navigation for about 30 minutes. Then 1.5 hours using forms on an app. Again consider the screen was on the whole time. I do not fault the phone, as much as I do the usage, but this was my experience.

So 2 hours of on screen time got you to less than half? Meaning you would've gotten roughly 4 hours of screen time on a full charge...let me guess, the two hours you get with your SGS2 is fine because of the removable battery? As for the resolution , that sounds like a real problem, I'm surprised there isn't a software solution. I thought the multitasking issue was fixed. If not, that's a problem. Hopefully you enjoy your S4(it's big too though)!

eak1570

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site

I thing my HTC one has amazing battery life...better than my Iphone5(but I phone charge time is faster) I can use the one all my day.....and this is the best phone you can get right now...maybe the one isn't the right phone for u..

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site

Appreciate the OP sharing their experience and listing legitimate reasons for returning. I will say that getting 2 hours on screen time with 30mins being GPS and down to 57%, that's pretty good considering how phones are nowadays. I always tell people, if you can get 4 hours of on screen time with any high end phone, you are doing good. Anything above that is exceptional, considering. Good luck to you.

HushH

May 11, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for the real world feedback shadrap. Just picked mine up this morning and look forward to putting it through the paces. As a couple others suggested, I would highly recommend trying out the Note 2.

snookasnoo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

If you read what he said he came from an iPhone. Sounds like he has a battery or phone issue. I seriously doubt he is imagining things. Since Apple is raking in 70 to 80% of smarpthone profits they seem to be doing quite well. Everyone should have that problem. Their stock "issues" are due to manipulation.

I've been using mine non stop since it got here at 2pm and it's 10 now. I am JUST hitting 10%. I think its in your head. And multitasking. It's android. You will always have problems with something. But all the positives out weigh the negatives. You should look at the iPhone I hear they are dropping the price because of falling stocks.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2