Contact Picture Issue

HunterKen7

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
I am doing exactly that. I went to gmail -> contacts and chose the option to change photo. Chose the photo to upload from my PC. Used the crop square to choose their face and saved. The photo updated immediately on my phone, but it is still showing the circles effect.

They are mostly all pictures saved from friends facebook profile pics. They are all fairly large photos but still all 72dpi. Is it because of the low 72dpi? Let me try with a photo taken with a camera.

Nope, it's not working. Don't get it.

NOTE: These all worked on my previous Jelly bean phone. I was using CM10.1 though.

Last edited:

HunterKen7

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
I see an option in the contacts app settings for "Download big contact photo on Wifi only". It is checked for me and I am on WiFi. Other than that, I don't know what the heck is wrong. I'm going to take a break and try other things when I get home.

Erik Pendleton

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
I see an option in the contacts app settings for "Download big contact photo on Wifi only". It is checked for me and I am on WiFi. Other than that, I don't know what the heck is wrong. I'm going to take a break and try other things when I get home.

Mine is checked too. I didn't see that setting before.

Erik Pendleton

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
I am doing exactly that. I went to gmail -> contacts and chose the option to change photo. Chose the photo to upload from my PC. Used the crop square to choose their face and saved. The photo updated immediately on my phone, but it is still showing the circles effect.

They are mostly all pictures saved from friends facebook profile pics. They are all fairly large photos but still all 72dpi. Is it because of the low 72dpi? Let me try with a photo taken with a camera.

Nope, it's not working. Don't get it.

NOTE: These all worked on my previous Jelly bean phone. I was using CM10.1 though.

I had the same issue with one of my contacts taken from a face book photo download. It was 72dpi as well. I used photoshop to resample to 120dpi using "bicubic smooter" option. Now it works perfectly.

HunterKen7

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
I had the same issue with one of my contacts taken from a face book photo download. It was 72dpi as well. I used photoshop to resample to 120dpi using "bicubic smooter" option. Now it works perfectly.

I don't get it. I went as far as uploading a random hi res landscape picture I found on google. This one to be specific:

http://www.webmastergrade.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/Blooming-Flower.jpg

Went into my gmail.com contacts, chose someone, change picture, upload, made the crop box as big as possible, done. The image shows up instantly on my phone, but it is still dots. I give up using gmail contact photos. I guess I will move all images over to my phone and add them locally.

X3TUjtj.jpg

Peter Venkman

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
HunterKen7... What is the resolution of the photos/images you are uploading via Gmail/Contacts? In previous posts, you stated 72dpi. You have to be uploading much larger images than 72dpi, preferably 256x256 or higher. Anything less runs the risk of HTC Sense putting the "dreaded" dots over a low-res image. If you upload a 256x256, or 500x500, or 720dpi image and you're still getting the dots, then something else is wrong with your device. You may want to go back to factory settings.

HunterKen7

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
HunterKen7... What is the resolution of the photos/images you are uploading via Gmail/Contacts? In previous posts, you stated 72dpi. You have to be uploading much larger images than 72dpi, preferably 256x256 or higher. Anything less runs the risk of HTC Sense putting the "dreaded" dots over a low-res image. If you upload a 256x256, or 500x500, or 720dpi image and you're still getting the dots, then something else is wrong with your device. You may want to go back to factory settings.

Have a look at my previous post. I linked to the exact image I tested with and you can see the results I got with it. I've been testing with other images that were 3000x3000.

Can someone try with that same image I linked to in the previous post? Go to http://gmail.com, edit the contact photo of someone in your google contacts to use that Blooming-Flower.jpg image and see what you get on your phone. I have already done a factory reset by the way.

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Have a look at my previous post. I linked to the exact image I tested with and you can see the results I got with it. I've been testing with other images that were 3000x3000.

Can someone try with that same image I linked to in the previous post? Go to http://gmail.com, edit the contact photo of someone in your google contacts to use that Blooming-Flower.jpg image and see what you get on your phone. I have already done a factory reset by the way.

EDIT - solved see this post http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc-one/270273-contact-picture-issue-2.html#post2764598

Last edited:

Thanan

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I never had google contacts, but I used to keep my contacts synced on my local outlook with my old Blackberry Bold 9900.

I synced them to my new HTC One from outlook using sync manager, but it came out either pixely or pretty grainy.

I just started putting high resolution photos onto my phone and manually selecting and cropping photos for each contact.

One thing that's kinda annoying is that when you do crop from an image on the phone, it will do auto-face recognition, and sometimes the face-recognition boxes won't always be perfect squares, it'll be a rectangular crop, and then when you try to adjust the crop, the aspect ratio stays in the form of a goddam rectangle, which then ultimately squishes the person's face into a square later on.....so dumb lol

I also don't like that in the "Contact Details View", the square image of the person, is stretched out, since the space to display the picture in the contact details view, is a rectangular shape.

JohnnyKat

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
I am still dying to know, too. Does anyone else use Google contact photos set via the gmail contact web page?

I just got my ONE and I'm having the same issue... I use Google contact photos through gmail and all my contacts appear with circles pixels, except the synced Facebook photos! HELP!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome