How do you get rid of the stupid menu bar

craigrn16

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
I tried to Google it but I can't find an answer. Just bought my One yesterday and it is the only thing that annoys me.

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums

Led Zappa

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
I tried to Google it but I can't find an answer. Just bought my One yesterday and it is the only thing that annoys me.

You can't. I'm shocked you couldn't find an answer. It appears to be a decision by HTC and unless the apps are updated to the latest Google specs you will get a menu bar.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
You can't. I'm shocked you couldn't find an answer. It appears to be a decision by HTC and unless the apps are updated to the latest Google specs you will get a menu bar.

Google wants all oems to get rid of menu keys and adopt the onscreen menu which you see in some app (3 dots). So apps that havent been updated will have the bar. Phones with menu keys will not.

CaCHooKaMan

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Only way is to use a mod with a custom ROM. My back button now functions as the menu button when you hold it so the black bars are gone from apps that haven't been upgraded yet.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

It has nothing to do with htc and everything to do with developers being lazy and not updating their apps in over a year to match Google's guidelines.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
It has nothing to do with htc and everything to do with developers being lazy and not updating their apps in over a year to match Google's guidelines.

Well, to be fair, HTC could have avoided this by using on-screen buttons.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site

Agreed. HTC actually has it setup correctly and configured correctly so when apps are updated they don't need to make changes. But for other companies that don't they will have to update theirs. This is HTCs way of having the system flexible in anticipation of what most apps will be. It's unfortunate that devs haven't update all their apps yet. And with a company like Samsung still using menu keys, developers will continue to drag their feet.

Led Zappa

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
I didn't mean to infer that HTC was at fault. I simply pointed out that their changes led to the issue that isn't seen on other phones that haven't moved in this direction. I agree they did the right thing.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Google needs to pull an apple and set a hard date after which they will not accept apps that don't properly use the overflow apis.

jmwein

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I just don't understand how an app like Facebook with major developers that has been updated numerous times STILL has the ugly black menu bar!

CreeperCode

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
I rooted and installed a custom ROM that allows you to long press the back button to see the menu. Menu bar doesn't show in apps now.

There's no way to do it without a custom ROM.

pgood4

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
Is there root for the AT&T version already?

Yes, just unlock at htcdev and then follow the root instructions. It was reported that it would not be unlockable via htcdev, but it was still working on Friday afternoon.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
They focused on Home not mobile apps

Not. Their are FAR more three button android phones in the wild than the handful of Ones with two buttons so it makes no practical sense for money to spent changing apps.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Not. Their are FAR more three button android phones in the wild than the handful of Ones with two buttons so it makes no practical sense for money to spent changing apps.

No practical sense for them to follow Google's Holo design guidelines? Remember, Google, not Samsung, makes Android.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
No practical sense for them to follow Google's Holo design guidelines? Remember, Google, not Samsung, makes Android.

Obviously if google felt it was a big deal they would put pressure on the manufacturers to switch to 2 buttons phones and pressure developers to update. I don't think google gives a snot. That's why HTC's decision to go to 2 buttons is so bewildering.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci