GPS bug? phone died...

Dramer77

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
So yesterday i picked up my new AT&T 64g one from the store i preordered... i set everything up adjusted settings then used it till the batt drained to about 6% and gave it a full charge.... so i used it the rest of the day and was about to go to bed with 60% batt remaining... right before i went to bed i noticed the GPS icon in the notification bar, no apps were open and i looked through processes and couldnt find anything that had it running.. i tried restarting the phone 2 or 3 times to no luck.. so i went to bed around 1 am with 60% then woke up at 7am to my phone shut off and had 2% when i tried to restart it... I have no clue wtf caused it to do this .. its charging now the gps logo has not come back except when i use a app with that uses it but it promptly goes away when i close the app.... im clueless...

mcpricex

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
GPS is not controlled by apps it is either on or off, if it is enabled in the settings menu then it will be on all the time and will definitely suck the life out if your battery. Usually when an app wants to use GPS it will tell you if it is disabled and ask if you want to switch it on then take you to the settings page.

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
GPS is not controlled by apps it is either on or off, if it is enabled in the settings menu then it will be on all the time and will definitely suck the life out if your battery. Usually when an app wants to use GPS it will tell you if it is disabled and ask if you want to switch it on then take you to the settings page.
The OS keeps the GPS radio active all the time? That doesn't sound right. It should only be active when an app requests GPS data.

Dramer77

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site

i know its turned on all the time, what i mean is something was using it and it wouldnt shut off... even if i went into location setting and unclicked all the boxed for the gps...

PittsPgh

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
i know its turned on all the time, what i mean is something was using it and it wouldnt shut off... even if i went into location setting and unclicked all the boxed for the gps...

Check the built in task manager. See which app is running that might be using it and kill it x.

Then maybe open the app up and double check it's settings as well. Or do that before killing it.

BTW: Google plus loves the GPS.

Paul

Dramer77

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Check the built in task manager. See which app is running that might be using it and kill it x.

Then maybe open the app up and double check it's settings as well. Or do that before killing it.

BTW: Google plus loves the GPS.

Paul

there were no apps running