Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Default Re: HTC One overheating!

This swedish tech site tested a bunch of phones and it does seem like the One gets pretty hot.

Source: Samsung Galaxy S4 - En värdig tronföljare - Batteritid och temperatur - www.NHW.se
    wolfiexox likes this.

I've recently started having the same thing happen to me. It mostly occurs during video heavy app usage (music app with lyrics displayed over a changing background). It's hottest down by the bottom left of the screen, just over top where the SIM is at. I've started getting SIM problems (occasional random "Preparing SIM" messages popping up during video playback) and I've notice three dead pixels down in that area of my screen which definitely weren't there when I got the phone initially.

The heat is definitely a problem for me. I understand phones get hot but this is untouchably hot and it's noticeable through the front touch screen. I'm beginning to think my screen is less touch sensitive there as well but don't really know how to test that. I know that in GSam Battery Monitor (recently installed) when I hold the phone upright (portrait mode) I can't get the left ( < ) arrow to work at the top, next to the in app image of the battery (which takes you from the 'battery temp' screen back to the 'battery left' screen. That could be an app-specific problem for me, though.

Has anyone been burnt? I've had mine get pretty hot. Some times a bit uncomfortable but it is aluminum and it's not so hot that it is damaging. My laptop gets hot also. It's just the way it goes.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Like i said before... For me it does get hot (approx 110 degrees) if i'm doing several intensive things at the same time. Other than that its not to bad

Global Posts
    622 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by samanbabah View Post
    Hi I have been using my HTC One for about 4 days now, and I have noticed that it overheats! I wanted to know if anyone else got this issue. It basically starts to get really warm when I download something, or play games like "Where is My Water"
    It's AT&T 32GB rooted
    They all get warm. Especially when gaming. Don't worry at all.

Posted via Android Central App
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.
    TomsAndroid likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Topgonzo View Post
    Has anyone been burnt? I've had mine get pretty hot. Some times a bit uncomfortable but it is aluminum and it's not so hot that it is damaging. My laptop gets hot also. It's just the way it goes.
    Mine will get pretty hot (uncomfortably so) just while sitting on my desk usually because it's searching for a signal or some process in the background that I can't identify. So much so, that the screen is HOT (not warm, I know the diff), the battery starts to drastically discharge and sometimes while charging the red charge light will start flashing at which point I have to shut down the phone and let it cool down.

Phones with lots of cores will get hot, just like a laptop and desktop.

It is nice to hold outside in the winter time
    What would be cool (pun?), would be to implement something like Asus Ice technology that they use on their aluminum laptops to make the laptop cool to work on even as it gets hot elsewhere(have one, it's great to work on compared to my Dell). The common parts that are constantly touched feel cool and heat is dissipated elsewhere.

while playing heavy graphic games, phone can go upto 50 degree normally. It will not cause harm to device.

im having 'heat issues' i just did a google hang out video chat and when i was done my phone was hot to the point it was making my palm sweaty. I notice when it gets hot the battery life begins to drain quickly. It gets hot playing games like candy crush, which to me doesnt seem like its that hardware intensive. Carmaggedon is another game it does it as well, but I can expect it on that one.

Global Posts
    103 Global Posts

I have Battery Monitor installed which displays the battery temperature and sounds an alert when it gets too hot (the default threshold is 40c). My One regularly hit 40c on the car even when not charging, and my concern is when it's over 40c for extended periods. This Cimo hardback case seems to make it heat up even more - or at least retain the heat.
    xtn

Global Posts
    711 Global Posts

Most all cases are insulating. Unless you find one that's made of thin copper and has fins all over it.
    Thanked by:

Hey guys, just got a One a few days ago.

My phone has gotten really hot so far. When I was driving home from work yesterday, I was streaming MLBTV radio through my FM transmitter and when I got home, the temperature was 131F according to GSam. Scalding hot to the touch. Today, I did the same for a bit and it got up to 113 so I turned it off. Within a couple minutes it dropped down to 104 or so. After I got home, within 5 minutes the phone got down to 93, which I'm assuming is a bit more normal.

Is this something worth taking the phone back and swapping it? Will those temperatures hurt the internals of the phone?

Global Posts
    243 Global Posts

I'm wondering about heat too. Seems GSAM is set up to give a "hot battery" warning at 90f and 120f. My ONE reaches 90f just sitting in my pocket in areas where cell reception is poor. 90f isn't that high is it?

I know this thread is pretty old but my HTC is overheating and battery draining too. There's heat from heavy use, then there is overheating - I know the difference. In my case, it started after two updates to the OS in recent weeks. I'm in Australia on the Telstra network so the 4.2.2 update only came through recently. Then one from HTC - that's the one that buggered the phone.

Symptoms - started running very hot when playing games while charging - very hot. Battery draining faster than normal in days prior to this.

Actions: Turned off, let it sit, restarted. Found that android system was using 50 - 80% of the battery. Followed some forum threads, removed certain location features, deleted candy crush :-) and it seemed to fix it.

Result - seemed better for a week or so, now it's just drained 25% in 1h38m with moderate use.

Commentary: Frustrating that you can't pull the battery out! Might need to rethink HTC next time for that reason. Wondering about some bad interaction between two updates? Planning to factory reset. Will advise outcome.

I think this is a big defect. It is unacceptable getting a problem like this with this phone.

First of all, the phone have to be made to not ask anyone to turn it off. It is not any phone, it is a smartphone, you use it in many situations, to play games, to manage your time, to read emails. So, I can't accept that I have to turn it off because the main porpose is to allow me to use it unconditionally.
    2nd, if the company decides use aluminum to build it, it is their responsible to make a good product, without this defect. I read in another topic, a guy saying that he had this problem but He thinks the software was updated and the defect was fixed. So we can request an update too.
    3rd, if the warn not get out the phone, it is possible to do a big damage on CPU. So, watch out on your phone.

I got this problem 3 times. Once it was when I let it charging over night. Second I let a game running and my battery was in low power message displayed. The last one, it was I let it on my bed for 30 minutes, when I got back it was difficult to hold it,

I always turn it off and wait, but it is a deplorable and I nnaceptable I have to do it to not break my phone.

I only read about half-way down the comments and stopped because I think most people were missing your point. My phone has been overheating as well since I downloaded the latest update (this was after I had to replace my device after it irreperably froze on the HTC one screen when I originally tried to update to the new OS). "Overheating" means more than "getting warm." It means that if you touch the back of the phone, it is uncomfortably hot and if you attempt to talk on it, it is uncomfortably warm. It is a problem even though everything appears to be working fine simply because no other phone (cell or landline) causes such discomfort when holding or talking on it. Although I do not know how to resolve it, I wanted to post to let you know that I am experiencing the same thing and will likely trade it in for an insurance replacement before Thanksgiving if the issue continues.

Now that the winter is starting up in Michigan, my aluminum phone gets really cold!!! Like uncomfortably holding ice cubes cold!!!. jejeje.
    Banned

Sounds like a toaster shame have you tried to switch phone off then on and is all your notification turned off

Banned

To be honest I download listen to music check my emails all at the same time not hot at all and my benchmark is higher than a HTC one is 25924

I have the HTC ONE since it came out. It always gets pretty warm because of the Aluminium Case. But here recently, it is getting alot hotter. 118 degrees after playing 4 lives in Candy Crush this morning. When I go to advanced settings on my battery, it does give the status of the battery as "Overheat" and is RED although the performance of the phone is still good. Scares me since the battery is sealed.

Quote Originally Posted by samanbabah View Post
    Hi I have been using my HTC One for about 4 days now, and I have noticed that it overheats! I wanted to know if anyone else got this issue. It basically starts to get really warm when I download something, or play games like "Where is My Water"
    It's AT&T 32GB rooted

While the HTC one heats up with continuous use, Sprint Customer Service*checked and told me that 135°F is the danger temp. My 2 phones each reach the 110° range and have never exceeded 115°. My concern is how the coming Summer temps. Will effect my phones. I don't see myself holding onto a phone that even approaches 120°. HTC R&D dropped the ball this time

Mine just hit 49.2 Celsius (120 Fahrenheit) today while plugged into my car charger watching Netflix on full brightness. I noticed the charging light started blinking then picked up my phone and it was hot as hell!

Immediately pulled up the charging status and it said "overheating". I shut the phone down, turned on my cars AC and held it in front of the vents till it cooled off lol.

4th entry down shows the temp at that point...

I am new to android, but, I just bought an HTC One M8 from Verizon, there was a problem with the device shutting down and trying to re-boot, also I noticed after 15 days of fighting this problem that it was very warm (stemming from the battery area.) I had in a very secure case, but that was not the issue, with it trying to reboot all the time, but I had logged after 8-9 days a call with tech support, they said I needed to clear temp. files and all, well after this happened again after a factory re-set, I took it back to Verizon, since I had logged this problem with tech. support, they gave me a new phone (get this, I talked to the store before and they said that they would give me a re-built phone, what.. for new price?) Anyway, if anyone has a problem with heating or re-booting, it is a software issue. The new One M8 that verizon gave me had some features that the previous phone didn`t have and some of the programs were not fully functional in the original device, I noticed this with a different and new phone. However, I want to disable some pre-loaded apps, but I am afraid to do this for fear of messin` the software. Hope this helps, Make them give you a new device, it is faulty software, in my opinion.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast