Battery maintenance

bcurt10

May 8, 2011
Visit site
I read somewhere on this forum that we should let the battery on the One run down to red and then charge all the way up. Is this true? If so, is this something that should be normal practice or just in the 1st week while the battery is being ?conditioned??

During the work week I?m a heavy user, but I?m at my desk most of the time so I can keep it plugged in. Generally after work I just top off the battery occasionally when it?s getting low and then leave it on the charger overnight.

If leaving the phone on the charger all day and occasionally topping it off other times will cause the battery to deteriorate then I may need to return the phone in favor of one w/ a removable battery. I could probably live w/ the routine above short term, but not longer than a week or so.

Last edited:

Jaguarr40

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
I read somewhere on this forum that we should let the battery on the One run down to red and then charge all the way up. Is this true? If so, is this something that should be normal practice or just in the 1st week while the battery is being ?conditioned??

During the work week I?m a heavy user, but I?m at my desk most of the time so I can keep it plugged in. Generally after work I just top off the battery occasionally when it?s getting low and then leave it on the charger overnight.

If leaving the phone on the charger all day and occasionally topping it off other times will cause the battery to deteriorate then I may need to return the phone in favor of one w/ a removable battery. I could probably live w/ the routine above short term, but not longer than a week or so.
Batteries that are in these devices removable or not in order to get the full potential you have to do a few things first on your phone like check back lighting and when the screen timing is set to off after you finish doing something, How you get mail like push or manual and you get the idea.

Having said that the best thing you can do is use your phone often because the electrons in the cell of the batteries need to stay excited and move around. The other real big thing I always do with mine at least several times a month to cycle my battery is that I let it run down until my phone turns off and then start charging it. This will help cycle and condition the battery. Hope this was helpful to you and good luck with your new HTC One. This procedure is really for any Smartphone and not just the HTC.

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I posted this another thread earlier this morning. Hope it helps to shed some light on the battery in your new phone:

Technically they can be overcharged, but realistically the hardware and software in your device keeps that from happening. You also don't ever need to "condition" a lithium-ion or lithium-polymer battery when you use it by fully draining and then completely charging it after every use. You should, however, allow it to charge to 100% the first time it is put on a charger, but you want the charge cycle to be long, say beginning at less than 50% charge, so that the software can calibrate itself to the individual battery. The software has to learn how to gauge the actual battery life and that requires a few charging cycles. Even when you hit 100% it is okay to leave it on the charger. The system recognizes the charge and will actually slowly discharge the battery a bit and then charge it back to 100%. This keeps the battery from overcharging and helps the system calibrate itself to the battery.

And there isn't really a charge memory like you would get with NiCad batteries, but there is something called a digital memory in a lithium battery. It doesn't require the constant full-discharge that a NiCad does because it's not an issue with the battery chemistry perse, but every month or so (like your battery guy suggests) it is a good idea to fully discharge the battery before a complete charge. It actually helps the system keep the battery gauge calibrated, because it loses some of it's accuracy after lots of shorter charging cycles.