HTC One: Concerns with Concert Photography last night

roneill

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site
I went to a concert last night. It was my first test of the HTC ONE for concert photography. In most of the pictures I took, the singer appeared too hot/white. I tried to play with some of the settings, but in the midst of a concert, I wasn't too successful. I did notice a lot of people with GS3's and Iphone taking pictures near me and the singer was clear in the pictures. Could the concert lighting be too much for the Megapixels of the HTC ONE?

Last edited by a moderator:

Blaalad12

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Re: Concerns with Concert Photography last night

I went to a concert last night. It was my first test of the HTC ONE for concert photography. In most of the pictures I took, the singer appeared too hot/white. I tried to play with some of the settings, but in the midst of a concert, I wasn't too successful. I did notice a lot of people with GS3's and Iphone taking pictures near me and the singer was clear in the pictures. Could the concert lighting be too much for the Megapixels of the HTC ONE?

Post some pics?

EverNap

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site

https://share.htc.com/afdcpYKR3 Most of the pictures, the singer was washed out like this. Other people would get clear pics.
I don't have the One, but is there any way to set exposure by tapping on the screen or something? The phone seems to be setting the exposure based on the wrong points. Have you tried focusing on the singer before clicking the photo?

mo-bile#AC

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site

That's photo is terrible. So much for the ultrapixel gimmick.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Looks like the shooter maybe zoomed in?

And as said below, did the shooter tap to focus on the singer first?

frellingfrakker

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site

Also, what mode were you using? Normal or night mode? Flash or no flash, etc.? There are just too many variables at play to just "blame it on the phone".

mstrblueskys

Q&A Team
Dec 21, 2011
Visit site

I recently took this phone to a concert too. Here are my results.

Also, did you go with friends? Can you get the pics from their phones too to compare?

Sent from my HTCONE using Android Central Forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1366827382827.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1366827382827.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 60
  • uploadfromtaptalk1366827410714.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1366827410714.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 54
  • uploadfromtaptalk1366827425991.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1366827425991.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 64
  • uploadfromtaptalk1366827442653.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1366827442653.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 54

roneill

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site

I tapped on the singer multiple times to focus on her.. I switched from normal to night time a few times. The rest of the pictures would be ok except when the spot light was on the singer which was most of the show.

My point is that everyone sitting around me had good pictures of her and not so bright like the majority of my pics.

roneill

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site

The lighting at your concert was nowhere near the one that I went to. You can tell in yours when the singer was under the light, he was completely white also.

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site

Well, it appears that the One is metering the whole scene, which results in the singer being overexposed, while the rest of the photo is not. 2 solutions - use HDR or manually change the exposure, looks like at least 1 to 2 stops. After a few pictures you have to be able to evaluate what you have and adjust to get the most out of any camera. My guess is the S3s did not register any of the scene other than the singer as the S3 processor would ignore the dark areas.

This could be something they could work on to enhance the software, but in any case, if you want the photos to turn out you will need to learn to adjust the settings whn neccessary.

mo-bile#AC

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site

I tapped on the singer multiple times to focus on her.. I switched from normal to night time a few times. The rest of the pictures would be ok except when the spot light was on the singer which was most of the show.

My point is that everyone sitting around me had good pictures of her and not so bright like the majority of my pics.

Did you use the digital zoom in any or all of these pics?

ksavaiano

May 8, 2012
Visit site

The first pic I posted of her hovering was without a zoom. The others had some zoom. Zooming did affect the singer and how white she was but not much.

HDR mode would definitely solve that problem. I took a GREAT HDR shot a day or so ago from outside on my patio. I had the patio lights on but couldnt really see in to the grass and the phone captured way more detail then i could even see with my eyes

EverNap

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site

HDR mode would definitely solve that problem. I took a GREAT HDR shot a day or so ago from outside on my patio. I had the patio lights on but couldnt really see in to the grass and the phone captured way more detail then i could even see with my eyes
How does the HDR photo work? Does it work even in Night mode? I'm curious, because I know that in Night Mode, the camera typically does longer exposures, so taking two/three 'longer' exposure shots for HDR would create a lot of ghosting wouldn't it?

Thanks

ksavaiano

May 8, 2012
Visit site

How does the HDR photo work? Does it work even in Night mode? I'm curious, because I know that in Night Mode, the camera typically does longer exposures, so taking two/three 'longer' exposure shots for HDR would create a lot of ghosting wouldn't it?

Thanks

Well there was a small amount of ghosting on my dog as he was jumping but i will post the picture here in a few minutes. You cant set it to "HDR-night" mode there is just night OR HDR. In my experience when i took the night shot it definitely captured the area near me very well, but the HDR shot captured the background perfectly

Unfortunately i didnt keep the night mode shot for comparison

ksavaiano

May 8, 2012
Visit site

As you can see, there is some ghosting, but considering i couldnt see the back wall at ALL with my eyes i am quite impressed. Definitely not the best picture as i was just messing with the camera

Sent from my HTCONE using Android Central Forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1366831759120.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1366831759120.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 24

EverNap

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site

As you can see, there is some ghosting, but considering i couldnt see the back wall at ALL with my eyes i am quite impressed. Definitely not the best picture as i was just messing with the camera
Nice! I'm sure the pic would've been much better if it had only inanimate/slow-moving objects.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MickTavia