HTC One: Concerns with Concert Photography last night

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Re: Concerns with Concert Photography last night

Has NOTHING to do with "ultrapixel gimmick", as you say (why would you even say such pointless thing?) - just a software issue (probably the way light metering algorithm works right now), which can be improved with future patches...
He obviously said it because he's bored and hoping for a fight... but the new update rolling out to the European models seems to improve the camera performance quite a bit.

How does the HDR photo work? Does it work even in Night mode? I'm curious, because I know that in Night Mode, the camera typically does longer exposures, so taking two/three 'longer' exposure shots for HDR would create a lot of ghosting wouldn't it?

Thanks
It's just a series of photos taken at different exposures, in series with each other and then combined in one image. It's really made for taking pictures when there is a large range in the brightness of the frame. But you are correct in that motion will cause a blurry image, but only because one or more of the individual shots will show it and then use it in the final image. It's like motion when the shutter is open for a long time but not for the same reasons.

EverNap

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site

He obviously said it because he's bored and hoping for a fight... but the new update rolling out to the European models seems to improve the camera performance quite a bit.

It's just a series of photos taken at different exposures, in series with each other and then combined in one image. It's really made for taking pictures when there is a large range in the brightness of the frame. But you are correct in that motion will cause a blurry image, but only because one or more of the individual shots will show it and then use it in the final image. It's like motion when the shutter is open for a long time but not for the same reasons.
Ah.. thanks. I knew what HDR does, but didn't know how HDR would've helped in the OP's situation where the singer is moving. :)

Btw, any blogs or posts where there's confirmation of the update improving camera performance? And will the update be pushed to unlocked/Dev devices in the US too, or is it regional?

Thanks

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site

Well there was a small amount of ghosting on my dog as he was jumping but i will post the picture here in a few minutes. You cant set it to "HDR-night" mode there is just night OR HDR. In my experience when i took the night shot it definitely captured the area near me very well, but the HDR shot captured the background perfectly

Unfortunately i didnt keep the night mode shot for comparison

Before I got the phone, I read a comment that you could trick the phone into Night/HDR mode by going into one then the other or some such. I haven't tried it yet, but likely will now that I have it.

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site

Ah.. thanks. I knew what HDR does, but didn't know how HDR would've helped in the OP's situation where the singer is moving. :)

Btw, any blogs or posts where there's confirmation of the update improving camera performance? And will the update be pushed to unlocked/Dev devices in the US too, or is it regional?

Thanks
No reason it wouldn't make it to all of the devices out there. And I'm just going off of what I have seen people say in comment sections of various sites that have reported the update rolling out, including on the front page here. I was kinda' hoping some of our UK buddies here had gotten it and would let us know, but so far nothing in the forums.

CSI Guy

Feb 25, 2009
Visit site

Your light meter in the phone is setup for wide exposures. To get the singer perfect, you would need a spot meter. Or you could knock down the exposure a lot to get the proper reading on the singer as being your main point of interest.

EverNap

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site

^^ Yeah.. Thanks

I can't find any other comparison shots of before and after the recent EU update, but AndroidPit did a comparison and says the pics are improved dramatically. Obviously, take it with a grain of salt.

EverNap

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site

I would say it does. Now we can only hope it doesn't take 8mos to reach the US.
Yeah. I don't get it. Why is it delayed for US customers? The carrier-locked version getting the update late makes sense, but why are unlocked/dev phones blocked from getting the update?

I'm hoping it's just a staggered-release to prevent server issues, and hope the update will cross the pond soon :(

Blaalad12

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site

I haven't real everyones response on this issue but my own view is quiet simple... the htc one simply does not have a great camera and its a shame because (and again this is just my own opinion) if it did it would be the best phone of 2013 , My s3 camera was alot better then this BUT iam not someone that takes many photos and for me personally the camera is decent enough for what ill be using it for!! Alot of people in my view are put off the one because of its camera and the s4 is far superior in this particular department , Its a shame because the htc one IS a super phone!!

EverNap

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site

I haven't real everyones response on this issue but my own view is quiet simple... the htc one simply does not have a great camera and its a shame because (and again this is just my own opinion) if it did it would be the best phone of 2013 , My s3 camera was alot better then this BUT iam not someone that takes many photos and for me personally the camera is decent enough for what ill be using it for!! Alot of people in my view are put off the one because of its camera and the s4 is far superior in this particular department , Its a shame because the htc one IS a super phone!!
Just curious, have you compared shots from the One and the S3, and found that the One is inferior to the S3? The S4 camera isn't significantly better, is what I figured from reviews. Apparently, the S4 performs better in Brightly-lit scenes, and the One performs better in low-light scenes.

Blaalad12

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site

Just curious, have you compared shots from the One and the S3, and found that the One is inferior to the S3? The S4 camera isn't significantly better, is what I figured from reviews. Apparently, the S4 performs better in Brightly-lit scenes, and the One performs better in low-light scenes.

No admittedly i havent been able to compare but i have not taken one single picture with the one that i looked at and thought wow that looks nice where as i often recall feeling that with the s3, I do think the camera is decent and iam happy with it but i just feel my s3 was better!! I seen a video comparison of the s4 and one also and the video playback was waaaay better on the s4 but again, if you watch the one's playback on its own, you would say hmm not bad at all

Blaalad12

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site

I gotta be honest guys,iam surprised so many people think the one is better! Maybe i need to give the camera a stern test or do a comparison if i can get my hands on an s3! I took a shot with the one a few nights ago in pitch darkness using the flash and the result was honestly horrible, there was curtains in the picture and there was awful bluryness around the outline (if you get me)

irthesteve

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site

The first pic I posted of her hovering was without a zoom. The others had some zoom. Zooming did affect the singer and how white she was but not much.

Hey roneill. I'm sure you've given up on this topic long ago, but I had the same issue the other night at a concert. Just so bright and washed out due to the lights and got a ton of terrible photos. Turns out turning on ZOE completely fixed the issue, then all I had to do was choose the best frames from the ZOE video. Hope that helps if you ever see this message, haha

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech