Observations from an iPhone refugee

rgfcpq

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
I decided to jump ship from the Apple iPhone and move to the Android world after the lack of innovation and the high price on Apple's part. Here are my observations on the HTC One phone and on making the jump to Android.

THE HTC ONE
The good --------
I like the design. A lot. The phone looks and feels great. This is only the second phone I have bought sight unseen and have not been disappointed.

The screen is awesome. Occasionally, though out of the corner of my eye I notice a bit of flicker. Not enough to bother me though.

Ran pixel test -- screen is exceptionally clean -- no dead/stuck pixels that others may be seen

LTE works well and is fast. Telephone reception is as good as my iPhone 4S. Both are on AT&T.

Best sound you will get on a cell phone. Good enough for listening to music in a hotel room, but not as good as devices like Monster Clarity or the Jambox which will fill a hotel room nicely. It's as good as one can realistically hope for in the form factor.

I have observed none of the other manufacturing defects others have noticed like gaps between pieces or rough edges.

Included a set of decent looking headphones -- an unexpected surprise.

The Not so Good --------
Battery life is ok, but not awesome. This may be due to the fact that I am messing with the phone a lot as I figure it out and have not tuned the apps/settings.

Tried using the HTC Sync Manager on my Mac and can't get it to work. I have my iTunes files and music and movies stored on a network server. I keep getting the "Choose a folder on your computer" error and it refuses to then connect to the server. Even though I use Google Music, and I can download it to the phone through the app, I can't gain access to them in the HTC music app nor can I use an mp3 as a ringtone. Overall, my impression is that Sync Manager is worthless as a result.

Blinkfeed needs a lot more options other than the limited selection. Kind of worthless right now, but would use it if they had the content I wanted. Flipbook on iPhone is superior.

HTC backup is not working. Instructions are non-existent. I will just buy one of the others like Carbon or Titanium.

Unable to get the 25gb of Dropbox in the promotion. It's supposed to somehow appear after you sign in through the HTC One.

The swipe keyboard is crappy, but the default one is decent enough for starters. Will probably upgrade later.

Lot's of confusion with Letstalk when ordering -- delays and mis/non - communication. This experience was subpar and need not have been -- just like the flakiness of the extra "features" above that are subpar. They won't beat Apple with these, but may be above other Android sellers.

ANDROID
With the display/sleep setting set to "auto sleep" it quickly locked the phone and turned off the screen. It took a while to find the settings to prevent immediate locking. Until then, and when using the face unlock, it would not allow me to unlock the phone without disconnecting calls I was on. I assume this is an Android problem and not unique to the One.

It took a while to figure out the desktop and how to arrange apps. The combination of widgets also seemed somewhat confining in terms of which widgets could be put on which pages -- it's not obvious why 1 can be on a given page and not another.

Still have not figured out how to make sure apps are not needlessly running in the background. On the iphone, it was easy. Still not clear to me in Android how to do this. All I have found is to stop the processes, which I am guessing is the only answer, but would seem to introduce instability in to the OS.

Really wish there was a way to configure the screens from a laptop as opposed to the device itself. Apple iTunes lets you move screens, put apps in folders, etc. on the phone, doing it from within iTunes. Having to do that all on the phone screen is a bit of a pain.

Summary.....
I really like the HTC One. It is the best phone on the market. They have a ways to go though in the whole order, apps, etc. experience. I like Android because of all the configuration possibilities. After I get the phone exactly the way I want it (as opposed to the way Apple says I should want a phone to work) I am sure it will be great, and I am happy with making the jump. Those seeking simplicity and just a decent, working phone will probably be disappointed because the out of the box experience is not as good as Apple's.

sergeantandroid

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
Good read, thanks RG. I think that the basic compatibility with users computers may be the biggest problem android has. Can anybody tell me why Samsung needs special applications to connect with a Mac while my old LG phone did it without a problem? Perhaps someone can explain why Samsung Kies prevents you from syncing with your Galaxy with any other program. At least you know that when you plug your iPhone into the computer, it's (most likely) going to connect to iTunes.

Viva Terlingua

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
What is it you like better than the iPhone? I'm considering switching, but the main reason is I want the larger screen. There's not really anything else I feel is lacking from my iPhone for my needs.

fz1jmp

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
What is it you like better than the iPhone? I'm considering switching, but the main reason is I want the larger screen. There's not really anything else I feel is lacking from my iPhone for my needs.
I'm an x-Iphoner and can give you my reasons for jumping to the One. Let me start with swype which I used to type this message twice as fast as I could of on my ip5. The virtual keyboard is larger and works better for me. And the fantastic large screen. Widgets? I set up some Nfc tags. But just for fun cause I got llama which automatically sets my settings based on location!! Can't do that on my old phone. The notification pull down is heads and shoulders more functional. The amount of customizations are insane and oh yeah no ITunes!!! I can play what I want. I moved from ios last Friday and I could not imagine going back. It's of course up to what we are looking for, they are both insane devices.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

isitme

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure why htc sync isn't working for you. I was able to use the iphone transfer option and load my contacts and pics from my last iphone backup.

Anyway, I'm a newb poster here ( usually just read all the info offered) . I was so anxious to get the One I bought a 32 gig to use while letswait decided when my 64 would actually ship.

mysidx

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Could use the Airdroid app to rearrange apps and stuff from any computer.

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums

rgfcpq

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure why htc sync isn't working for you. I was able to use the iphone transfer option and load my contacts and pics from my last iphone backup.

Anyway, I'm a newb poster here ( usually just read all the info offered) . I was so anxious to get the One I bought a 32 gig to use while letswait decided when my 64 would actually ship.

I was, for some reason, able to upload the iphone backup info like you, but it won't connect to my itunes files and mp3's on my network drive. Further, my mac won't recognize it as a usb device so I can't dump mp3's directly on it. I can, however, access and download mp3's to the device through my google music app.

rgfcpq

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm an x-Iphoner and can give you my reasons for jumping to the One. Let me start with swype which I used to type this message twice as fast as I could of on my ip5. The virtual keyboard is larger and works better for me. And the fantastic large screen. Widgets? I set up some Nfc tags. But just for fun cause I got llama which automatically sets my settings based on location!! Can't do that on my old phone. The notification pull down is heads and shoulders more functional. The amount of customizations are insane and oh yeah no ITunes!!! I can play what I want. I moved from ios last Friday and I could not imagine going back. It's of course up to what we are looking for, they are both insane devices.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Ditto. I like the customization, the quality of the hardware, the bigger screen, the overall degree of innovation occurring in Android, nfc, etc. I haven't experienced much yet with widgets, but they are a good example of the customization available. You can "tweak" a lot more -- which is a plus if you like that sort of thing but can be a steeper learning curve. Companies like HTC and Samsung overlay elements to differentiate and to some extent cover up the need to tweak to land at an iPhone like experience, but for the most part these can be over-ridden or modded to your heart's content.

rgfcpq

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
The Dropbox promo - I believe it depends on particular carrier... AT&T decided not to offer it, not sure why.
As for closing background apps - have you tried double-tapping the "home" button?

Yeah, that may be the problem, even though I have the developer edition of the phone, the fact that I have it on the AT&T network may be creating the problem. Still, that's not what I was expecting because it is not "tied" to AT&T.

ICEmayne

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm also a former iPhone user. I skipped the whole HTC sync option and opted to start from scratch. Love the phone so far and couldn't be happier with the jump from iOS.

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums

Viva Terlingua

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
All this talk of customization reminds of the old windows mobile vs. palm debate. Sure you could customize windows mobile more, but the Palm OS always seemed easier to use to me.

Ventura726

May 16, 2012
Visit site
I have gone back and forth between iPhone and various Android devices. There are good things about both. I always use the car analogy. Iphone is like a Toyota Camry. It's good, reliable, does what it's supposed to do, but kind of "safe." Android phones are more like import tuner cars. You can tweak them a lot more to get better performance, flashier extras, and make them more "you" but you also run a greater risk of instability. As far as battery life, that was the one thing that any of my iPhones never had an issue with, where most of my Androids have fallen short. I think it's pretty good on the One so far but I usually need at least a week to really tell. First 2-3 days are always filled with constant tinkering and testing so you must wait til that dies down to give a true assessment.

mcpricex

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
I use a LAN compatible file browser (ES File explorer in my case) to access my network drive directly from my devices. I can listen to music and watch video without having to physically transfer it, which saves space. If i want to take anything with me the transfer times are probably longer over wifi than they would be over a usb connection, which is only an issue if you are moving loads of data, but the convenience of having full access to all the media on my network without having to go through another device more than makes up for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adelinachau53674