HTC One owns the S4 on pocketnow.com

svinyard

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
I really like the One and it is the better overall phone as PocketNow has alluded too. I've had ever HTC flagship since the OG EVO and the s3 samsung as well. HTC really dropped the ball years back. The 3D sucked and the One X had no where near the performance of the S3 in Sense 4. Sense has been slow for a long time and lagged under stress. Couple that with the task management debacle and it was a flawed device.

NOW, the One and Sense 5 is a awesome with none of these flaws. I use AOSP but mainly for the performance. I don't need it anymore. Sense 5 has that on the One and I don't get stuck with a garbage camera like AOSP has.

NOW, S4 vs One isn't nearly as lopsided as it should be though. Samsung just rehashed stuff and added more gimmicks that aren't needed. The One did not kill it in the Camera software. I think the tech is right but their Camera software is halfa$$ implemented. The forced blinkfeed was a fail. No SD card was a fail. Battery is also a fail. If you are going with an embedded battery, MAKE IT BIG, and it won't be a fail. Instead they barely increased it. That was the real fail here. I know the phone still gets great life but SmartPhones today eat Batteries for lunch and not including an amazing battery in your life saving (company saving) product was weak. I know these aren't complete fails but still...imagine if the One had a big battery and SD slot and no BlinkFeed and AMAZING Camera app. It would truly be "The One". Instead, its just better than Samsungs S4 by a small margin.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Take away the aluminum vs. plastic argument and those guys sound like fan boys. Once cases are put on each phone then the strength of One and weakness of S4 are equalized. Some peeps like BoomSound and buttoned down/stripped Sense. Some peeps like bells and whistles and an endless array of settings. Personally, I'd rather have all the "gimmicks" and the ability to shut them off than not have them at all.

fernandez21

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
They sound bitter and now and more like the iphone crowd e.g. "extra features are gimmicks" "who cares about removable batteries and sd cards?" and "by this phone is so much better looking"

I personally buy phones based on capabilities and that's where the one falls short.

Why couldn't they come with new features besides blink feed?

Do something to stand out.

If the one had Samsung's features, removable battery (as all phones should have), it would be the best phone ever.

People always told this lie that "without a removable battery you can get a larger capacity battery inside the phone so it results in better battery life" but then look what happened - Samsung proved it to be a lie, they have the bigger battery AND is removable. Tell another lie HTC!

Funny how phones have been made out of plastic for YEARS but it's a crime when Samsung does it...

Whenever you're on top of your game it's always someone less fortunate that has a major problem with it

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

The plastic thing is because things evolve over time and Samsung hasn't evolved with everyone else. Also, the quality of the build of the plastic isn't up to par anymore. The Nokia Lumnia, HTC first, and HTC 8x are what a plastic phone should feel like in this day and age. If you take away specs, the build of the high end and expensive GS4 is the same as low end, low priced android phone, and that's why reviewers are complaining.

Jakiro201

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
People are uber excited about the One speakers. I've heard them, and they are nice (still small/tinny sounding), but other than trying to show it off by showing freinds/fam video/sound clips,do people really plan on utilizing the speakers day to day? I know for me, I use my phone to talk to people via the earpiece, listen to music via headphones, and that' pretty much makes up 99% of my sound usage. So yes, some folks love to brag to people about "how cool" this new feature is, but at the end of the day, how often do you need to use tiny stereo speakers on a phone??

You just sound like you don't want anybody to enjoy HTC features. If it's true then I don't need to waste my time for your jealousy. Just so you know, not everyone is like you. I enjoy the speakers a lot and so do my friends, they were really impressed because they are as loud as the laptop ones. Enjoy raging from threads to threads, I am just gonna enjoy watching videos and movies with them outstanding speakers.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
They sound bitter and now and more like the iphone crowd e.g. "extra features are gimmicks" "who cares about removable batteries and sd cards?" and "by this phone is so much better looking"

I personally buy phones based on capabilities and that's where the one falls short.

Why couldn't they come with new features besides blink feed?

Do something to stand out.

If the one had Samsung's features, removable battery (as all phones should have), it would be the best phone ever.

People always told this lie that "without a removable battery you can get a larger capacity battery inside the phone so it results in better battery life" but then look what happened - Samsung proved it to be a lie, they have the bigger battery AND is removable. Tell another lie HTC!

Funny how phones have been made out of plastic for YEARS but it's a crime when Samsung does it...

Whenever you're on top of your game it's always someone less fortunate that has a major problem with it

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

That argument falls flat. Phones have done plenty of things for years. Made calls. Then texts. Remember ringback tones? Etc. Just because it happens for years does not mean that a company should not seek new ways to improve its product. To me, Samsung's inability or wonton refusal to upgrade its manufacturing processes, design language, and materials is a negative. For you, the One not having a removable battery or external storage is a negative. In the end, we prefer what we prefer.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
That argument falls flat. Phones have done plenty of things for years. Made calls. Then texts. Remember ringback tones? Etc. Just because it happens for years does not mean that a company should not seek new ways to improve its product. To me, Samsung's inability or wonton refusal to upgrade its manufacturing processes, design language, and materials is a negative. For you, the One not having a removable battery or external storage is a negative. In the end, we prefer what we prefer.

Why does Samsung need to "upgrade" their manufacturing processes? are you an expert at this? Is there evidence that their devices are less reliable than other companies? The use of plastic is a choice on their part but in no way means it is defective or in need of upgrade as you suggest.

If I were Samsung and I looked at the RUNAWAY success that the "cheap, plasticy, child's toy" Galaxy series has become I'd say the market has spoken and Samsung is giving consumers what they want.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Take away the aluminum vs. plastic argument and those guys sound like fan boys. Once cases are put on each phone then the strength of One and weakness of S4 are equalized. Some peeps like BoomSound and buttoned down/stripped Sense. Some peeps like bells and whistles and an endless array of settings. Personally, I'd rather have all the "gimmicks" and the ability to shut them off than not have them at all.

True for some but some people like their phone naked so it matters. My S3 is naked :).

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Why does Samsung need to "upgrade" their manufacturing processes? are you an expert at this? Is there evidence that their devices are less reliable than other companies? The use of plastic is a choice on their part but in no way means it is defective or in need of upgrade as you suggest.

If I were Samsung and I looked at the RUNAWAY success that the "cheap, plasticy, child's toy" Galaxy series has become I'd say the market has spoken and Samsung is giving consumers what they want.

Am I an expert? No. I'm not an expert as much as you're not an expert or anyone else in this thread is an expert. I've simply owned a Samsung device for ~ 1.5 years, and based on my own experience, the fit and finish of HTC devices is vastly superior--in my hand, in my use, and in my opinion--to Samsung.

What do I base that on? 4 different Galaxy Nexus devices since I took ownership. Each for a flaw in the manufacturing process, may it be red fibers under the screen, screen burn in, faulty buttons, a volume rocker that inexplicably stopped working, and an overly noisy and creaky chassis.

What else do I base that on? Each and every review of these two devices. No matter which device "wins out," one constant is how impressed everyone has been with the One, its design, and its finish.

Samsung is a for-profit company. They are much, much better at being a company than HTC has been. They sell phones easier than most of us can breathe. They do plenty right. But to fall back on "if it's not broke, don't fix it" defeats the very purpose of innovation.

Let's talk about innovation, shall we? Where does Samsung innovate? Features. S Voice. Hover. S Translate (sp?). The Camera. Camera Software. The evolution of AMOLED screens. Where do they not innovate? Well, depending on preference, screen technology, design, software, and build. Google launched the Galaxy Nexus without a physical home button. Remember, the Nexus device is a reference device. It's Google's sermon on what it believes Android should be and where Android should be directed. The Galaxy Nexus is without an external SD slot (however, there is an /sdcard folder). The Galaxy Nexus is without a home button. From ICS forward, Android shifted its priorities from over the top abundance and gaudiness to stripped down, pure, and simple. Look at Gingerbread. Look at ICS. Look at Jelly Bean. Notice the difference? GB was stripped away, beautified, and simplified, begetting ICS. ICS was improved internally and then with additional features, resulting in JB.

Now, look at the manufacturers. Sense 4.0 was a distinct and aggressive departure from prior versions of Sense. It, like most pieces of software, still had issues--primarily multi-tasking. But HTC decided to follow Google's lead and they started to simplify, beautify, and strip down Sense. This resulted in a very, very usable OS, but without the burdens of RAM/resource intensive features that waste device capability. The One X, porous finish aside, was an incredible device. Its screen was otherworldly, easily besting other screens by a very unscientific comparison.

(See also Motoblur, particularly the version in the newer RAZR HD models.)

What did Samsung do? Iterative hardware evolution. They increased the internal specs, giving the GS3 an enormous amount of horsepower. But it needed it. Have you ever compared TW and AOSP from a resource consumption perspective? TW taxes the device more than any other mainstream skin. The GS3 came with 2 gigs of RAM. At first, people were shocked--what the hell would you use it for? And then, once people dug into TW and used it, it became apparent: in order to future proof the GS3, it had to withstand Samsung piling stuff into TW. It can't do that without gobs of RAM.

What else did Samsung do? They created that blue finish, which while looking fairly awesome, it was marred by build quality issues in the first batch (remember the white blotches? I do, and surely the forums' archives do). They kept the home button. They kept the SD card slot. Samsung made a conscious choice to not follow Google. It resulted in a tremendous amount of sales, so from a business perspective, they succeeded. But remember, the GS3 was built on the surprise of the GS2. That device was the first Samsung device that captivated Android. Remember, again, HTC had that early lead. The Incredible was arguably the first widely popular device, with Verizon doing its best to tout the Incredible as an iPhone competitor (until it received the iPhone 4 in the fall of 2010).

HTC has "failed" because its business side was simply a mess. The Thunderbolt should have never been released. But, for its faults, it was daring. I believe it was Verizon's first 4G phone. Unfortunately, the tech did not support 4G LTE nearly as well as it does now. Batteries were chewed through in mere hours, the finish was easily marred, and I've yet to see one currently that has its kickstand intact. They then released somewhat lackluster EVO devices, further pushing their "market cache" down while Samsung had the GS2/Skyrocket/Epic. Before you blinked, by late 2011, HTC had fallen and Samsung placed itself in a position to become synonymous with Android to the casual user. This is the position we inhabit currently.

Samsung took further leads from Apple (aside from some mild to moderate patent infringement). They kept the same design language in its big devices--namely the Galaxy series. For someone like me with poor sight, it's hard to distinguish a Note 2 from a GS3 from afar. They're the same thing at a glance, except one is a tad bigger. Obviously, folks are buying this, and Samsung, as a business, has no reason to depart. But that does not mean it is the best, a term which is measured by variables neither you, I, or really anyone else can objectify. It means that they found what works and will maintain that "attack." Samsung has become complacent with its position--and why not, it's working. But complacency will ultimately breed devolution, because without a will to change and to adapt, or without risk in innovation, other technologies and products will surpass it. The first iPhone--and heck, iPhone 4--was arguably the best mobile device ever created at the time. Look how far we have come from that time! The iPhone spurred innovation, resulting in the Android we see today, Windows 8, even Blackberry 10. Do you know why Apple "loses" sales (if one could even call it that?)--because folks like myself and countless others want something different. Samsung no longer stands for different. It stands for success. It stands for complacency. It stands for safe. Buy a GS4 and you won't have to worry, for you already know the faults, defects, and positives of the device. That's great for business and great for casual users. But for those surfing on the fringe, as many hobbyists are, it becomes harder and harder to justify siding with a company so seemingly pleased with itself that it has stopped taking risks.

HTC took a big risk with the One. So far, the reviews from early adopters and the media are very positive. It will not beat Samsung. Heck, it might not even save HTC. But you know what it did? It took a shot for the moon. HTC decided that it was going to build a device with an eye towards perceptive hardware quality. That meant metal. You know how "wrong" that is? Well, look at all those Macbooks, like the one I'm typing on right now. They sell for a few reasons, including the fact they are gorgeous and crafted from metal. Some folks find inherent pleasure in touching a metal device. I love metal, personally--both musically and materially. What else did HTC do? It further improved the One X's gorgeous screen, increased it to 1080p HD, and demolished Apple's own retina standards. They stripped Sense further, added a few key features, and have bet the house on their device. Will it work? We'll find out in a year.

But what's shocking about this, personally, is the One doesn't remind me of an iPhone. You know what it reminds me of? The GS2. I only wish (and hope) that Samsung decides to go back to that type of work for future devices. In its current lineup, the Note II is easily the most impressive and innovative device. A phablet is a hard sell for a lot of users (I have small, Mediterranean hands), but the Note II took an OK product (sorry, Note fans) and drastically improved it. The Note III, for me, will be the true measure of where Samsung stands. Not as a business. But as an innovative technology enterprise. So from that perspective, I could only hope that they see the One and decide that "going for broke" can yield results and inspiration.

(Any and all spelling and grammatical errors remain my own.)

Last edited:

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site

True, but there is a segment of the market that wants a different product. In addition, the S3 was clearly the best phone so many people were willing to accept the look and feel of the phone becuase there was not a viable altenative. Now there is. Many people will choose the One based on the difference in look and feel. Arguing about it is pointless.

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Am I an expert? No. I'm not an expert as much as you're not an expert or anyone else in this thread is an expert. I've simply owned a Samsung device for ~ 1.5 years, and based on my own experience, the fit and finish of HTC devices is vastly superior--in my hand, in my use, and in my opinion--to Samsung.

What do I base that on? 4 different Galaxy Nexus devices since I took ownership. Each for a flaw in the manufacturing process, may it be red fibers under the screen, screen burn in, faulty buttons, a volume rocker that inexplicably stopped working, and an overly noisy and creaky chassis.

What else do I base that on? Each and every review of these two devices. No matter which device "wins out," one constant is how impressed everyone has been with the One, its design, and its finish.

Samsung is a for-profit company. They are much, much better at being a company than HTC has been. They sell phones easier than most of us can breathe. They do plenty right. But to fall back on "if it's not broke, don't fix it" defeats the very purpose of innovation.

Let's talk about innovation, shall we? Where does Samsung innovate? Features. S Voice. Hover. S Translate (sp?). The Camera. Camera Software. The evolution of AMOLED screens. Where do they not innovate? Well, depending on preference, screen technology, design, software, and build. Google launched the Galaxy Nexus without a physical home button. Remember, the Nexus device is a reference device. It's Google's sermon on what it believes Android should be and where Android should be directed. The Galaxy Nexus is without an external SD slot (however, there is an /sdcard folder). The Galaxy Nexus is without a home button. From ICS forward, Android shifted its priorities from over the top abundance and gaudiness to stripped down, pure, and simple. Look at Gingerbread. Look at ICS. Look at Jelly Bean. Notice the difference? GB is stripped away, beautified, and simplified. That begot ICS. ICS was improved internally and then with additional features, resulting in JB.

Now, look at the manufacturers. Sense 4.0 was a distinct and aggressive departure from prior versions of Sense. It, like most pieces of software, still had issues--primarily multi-tasking. But HTC decided to follow Google's lead and they started to simplify, beautify, and strip down Sense. This resulted in a very, very usable OS, but without the burdens of RAM/resource intensive features that waste device capability. The One X, porous finish aside, was an incredible device. Its screen was otherworldly, easily besting other screens by a very unscientific comparison.

(See also Motoblur, particularly the version in the newer RAZR HD models.)

What did Samsung do? Iterative hardware evolution. They increased the internal specs, giving the GS3 an enormous amount of horsepower. But it needed it. Have you ever compared TW and AOSP from a resource consumption perspective? TW taxes the device more than any other mainstream skin. The GS3 came with 2 gigs of RAM. At first, people were shocked--what the hell would you use it for? And then, once people dug into TW and used it, it became apparent: in order to future proof the GS3, it had to withstand Samsung piling stuff into TW. It can't do that without gobs of RAM.

What else did Samsung do? They created that blue finish, which while looking fairly awesome, it was marred by build quality issues in the first batch (remember the white blotches? I do, and surely the forums' archives do). They kept the home button. They kept the SD card slot. Samsung made a conscious choice to not follow Google. It resulted in a tremendous amount of sales, so from a business perspective, they succeeded. But remember, the GS3 was built on the surprise of the GS2. That device was the first Samsung device that captivated Android. Remember, again, HTC had that early lead. The Incredible was arguably the first widely popular device, with Verizon doing its best to tout the Incredible as an iPhone competitor (until it received the iPhone 4 in the fall of 2010).

HTC has "failed" because its business side was simply a mess. The Thunderbolt should have never been released. But, for its faults, it was daring. I believe it was Verizon's first 4G phone. Unfortunately, the tech did not support 4G LTE nearly as well as it does now. Batteries were chewed through in mere hours, the finish was easily marred, and I've yet to see one currently that has its kickstand intact. They then released somewhat lackluster EVO devices, further pushing their "market cache" down while Samsung had the GS2/Skyrocket/Epic. Before you blinked, by late 2011, HTC had fallen and Samsung placed itself in a position to become synonymous with Android to the casual user. This is the position we inhabit currently.

Samsung took further leads from Apple (aside from some mild to moderate patent infringement). They kept the same design language in its big devices--namely the Galaxy series. For someone like me with poor sight, it's hard to distinguish a Note 2 from a GS3 from afar. They're the same thing at a glance, except one is a tad bigger. Obviously, folks are buying this, and Samsung, as a business, has no reason to depart. But that does not mean it is the best, a term which is measured by variables neither you, I, or really anyone else can objectify. It means that they found what works and will maintain that "attack." Samsung has become complacent with its position--and why not, it's working. But complacency will ultimately breed devolution, because without a will to change and to adapt, or without risk in innovation, other technologies and products will surpass it. The first iPhone--and heck, iPhone 4--was arguably the best mobile device ever created at the time. Look how far we have come from that time! The iPhone spurred innovation, resulting in the Android we see today, Windows 8, even Blackberry 10. Do you know why Apple "loses" sales (if one could even call it that?)--because folks like myself and countless others want something different. Samsung no longer stands for different. It stands for success. It stands for complacency. It stands for safe. Buy a GS4 and you won't have to worry, for you already know the faults, defects, and positives of the device. That's great for business and great for casual users. But for those surfing on the fringe, as many hobbyists are, it becomes harder and harder to justify siding with a company so seemingly pleased with itself that it has stopped taking risks.

HTC took a big risk with the One. So far, the reviews from early adopters and the media are very positive. It will not beat Samsung. Heck, it might not even save HTC. But you know what it did? It took a shot for the moon. HTC decided that it was going to build a device with an eye towards perceptive hardware quality. That meant metal. You know how "wrong" that is? Well, look at all those Macbooks, like the one I'm typing on right now. They sell for a few reasons, including the fact they are gorgeous and crafted from metal. Some folks find inherent pleasure in touching a metal device. I love metal, personally--both musically and materially. What else did HTC do? It further improved the One X's gorgeous screen, increased it to 1080p HD, and demolished Apple's own retina standards. They stripped sense further, added a few key features, and have bet the house on their device. Will it work? We'll find out in a year.

But what's shocking about this, personally, is the One doesn't remind me of an iPhone. You know what it reminds me of? The GS2. I only wish (and hope) that Samsung decides to go back to that type of work for future devices. In its current lineup, the Note II is easily the most impressive and innovative device. A phablet is a hard sell for a lot of users (I have small, Mediterranean hands), but the Note II took an OK product (sorry, Note fans) and drastically improved it. The Note III, for me, will be the true measure of where Samsung stands. Not as a business. But as an innovative technology enterprise. So from that perspective, I could only hope that they see the One and decide that "going for broke" can yield results and inspiration.

(Any and all spelling and grammatical errors remain my own.)

One of the best posts I've read in the forums....

Sent from my HTCONE using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

mstrblueskys

Q&A Team
Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
People are uber excited about the One speakers. I've heard them, and they are nice (still small/tinny sounding), but other than trying to show it off by showing freinds/fam video/sound clips,do people really plan on utilizing the speakers day to day? I know for me, I use my phone to talk to people via the earpiece, listen to music via headphones, and that' pretty much makes up 99% of my sound usage. So yes, some folks love to brag to people about "how cool" this new feature is, but at the end of the day, how often do you need to use tiny stereo speakers on a phone??

I actually would have agreed with you before I got my One. Now that I have it, I use it all the time. Same with the Zoe feature.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Much to agree with and well said and done. HOWEVER, it is simply false to say Samsung is not innovative in HARDWARE and SOFTWARE.

Samsung was absolutely mocked when the Note 1 came out. They took a chance and created an entire market where none previously existed. The followed that up with the Note 2 was was/is a SPECTACULAR success by any measure and now everyone else is hopping on the phablet bandwagon.

With the S4, they wisely(IMHO), built on the success of both the S3 and Note 2 borrowing and building on each. The innovation comes from somehow increasing the screen size, doubling the resolution, increasing battery size all the while making the device smaller and lighter. Oh and sticking in an excellent 13mp camera with features up the wazoo. That is the very definition of innovation. You say they need to upgrade their manufacturing I say BS. They will crank out 70-100 million S4s and further establish themselves as THE alternative to Apple. Perhaps they will even eclipse google/android. It's a fair question as to whether that's a good thing or not.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Much to agree with and well said and done. HOWEVER, it is simply false to say Samsung is not innovative in HARDWARE and SOFTWARE.

Samsung was absolutely mocked when the Note 1 came out. They took a chance and created an entire market where none previously existed. The followed that up with the Note 2 was was/is a SPECTACULAR success by any measure and now everyone else is hopping on the phablet bandwagon.

With the S4, they wisely(IMHO), built on the success of both the S3 and Note 2 borrowing and building on each. The innovation comes from somehow increasing the screen size, doubling the resolution, increasing battery size all the while making the device smaller and lighter. Oh and sticking in an excellent 13mp camera with features up the wazoo. That is the very definition of innovation. You say they need to upgrade their manufacturing I say BS. They will crank out 70-100 million S4s and further establish themselves as THE alternative to Apple. Perhaps they will even eclipse google/android. It's a fair question as to whether that's a good thing or not.

Didn't the GS3 have 720p? They didn't double the resolution, nor the PPI. The device is thinner and smaller and all that--but that's a natural progression of technology, not necessarily Samsung's innovation of technology. Look at any phone now and then any phone a year ago. All "flagship" devices have followed that lead, particularly Apple.

And like I said, the Note "series" is where Samsung innovates. No one gave phablets a shot and the very idea of the phablet was panned by such luminaries like Gizmodo. The Note itself is an OK device and a decent first step. The Note II absolutely blows it out of the water.

Piling "features" and having iterative, natural hardware progression is not innovation, at least how I understand and believe it to be. It's going with the times and adapting ever so slightly so that the current consumer base can be satisfied with the upgrade. Radical changes and revolutionary leaps in tech, which Samsung has not utilized since the Note, are where manufacturers take risk and innovate.

So it's not simply false. If anything, it's a matter of perspective and how one interprets innovation. For me, and I believe I clearly laid this out in the prior post, Samsung does only so much to guarantee business success. It adds features to reassure Samsung users that it's doing "enough" to keep and maintain their business strategies. For me, that's not innovation, and it's following the same path Apple has followed. Unfortunately, Apple's stock has fallen dramatically since their last "innovation," and that alone should be a clear signal to Samsung to get back to their GS2 and Note ideologies.

If anything, Samsung has become Android's Apple, except Samsung has chosen not to focus on design, build, and materials.

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site

Then there's people like me who think both of you are right and that ALL those things are negatives, making the choice between the two difficult as each falls short in some way.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Didn't the GS3 have 720p? They didn't double the resolution, nor the PPI. The device is thinner and smaller and all that--but that's a natural progression of technology, not necessarily Samsung's progression of technology. Look at any phone now and then any phone a year ago. All "flagship" devices have followed that lead, particularly Apple.

And like I said, the Note "series" is where Samsung innovates. No one gave phablets a shot and the very idea of the phablet was panned by such luminaries like Gizmodo. The Note itself is an OK device and a decent first step. The Note II absolutely blows it out of the water.

Piling "features" and having iterative, natural hardware progression is not innovation, at least how I understand and believe it to be. It's going with the times and adapting ever so slightly so that the current consumer base can be satisfied with the upgrade. Radical changes and revolutionary leaps in tech, which Samsung has not utilized since the Note, are where manufacturers take risk and innovate.

So it's not simply false. If anything, it's a matter of perspective and how one interprets innovation. For me, and I believe I clearly laid this out in the prior post, Samsung does only so much to guarantee business success. It adds features to reassure Samsung users that it's doing "enough" to keep and maintain their business strategies. For me, that's not innovation, and it's following the same path Apple has followed. Unfortunately, Apple's stock has fallen dramatically since their last "innovation," and that alone should be a clear signal to Samsung to get back to their GS2 and Note ideologies.

If anything, Samsung has become Android's Apple, except Samsung has chosen not to focus on design, build, and materials.

We will have to agree to disagree.

Actually, HTC has become Android's Apple(without the success). They created a device that appeals to the fashion conscious and people concerned with the image their phone projects. It's in every review, consumer and professional, people are enamored with the looks more than anything. On top of that, HTC totally watered down the OS and made it simple and locked down, much like iOS. I was and am astonished at how simplistic Sense is and how few settings are available to be tweaked. HTC even failed to include the settings toggles on the notification shade. HTC threw in some clever buzzwords like Blinkfeed and UltraPixel and Boomsound just like Apple.

My 17 year old daughter is lusting after my One to show off to her friends. That I think is what HTC is going for and I respect that but whether it will be successful remains to be seen.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
We will have to agree to disagree.

Actually, HTC has become Android's Apple(without the success). They created a device that appeals to the fashion conscious and people concerned with the image their phone projects. It's in every review, consumer and professional, people are enamored with the looks more than anything. On top of that, HTC totally watered down the OS and made it simple and locked down, much like iOS. I was and am astonished at how simplistic Sense is and how few settings are available to be tweaked. HTC even failed to include the settings toggles on the notification shade. HTC threw in some clever buzzwords like Blinkfeed and UltraPixel and Boomsound just like Apple.

My 17 year old daughter is lusting after my One to show off to her friends. That I think is what HTC is going for and I respect that but whether it will be successful remains to be seen.

You know how much I care about fashion? :p

For the locked down, Welcome to HTCdev strongly, strongly, strongly disagrees with you.

Blink Feed isn't just a clever buzz word. I hate skins and have found a lot of use in having that information up front. I am disappointed about the toggles, but that's a 4.1.2 v. 4.2 thing, which will be addressed in an update.

For the Apple comparison, it's only apt for superficial comparison (which you exemplify with the fashion comments). If you look at the business side of things, and Apple's work since the iPhone 4 (the last innovative iPhone, Siri be damned), Samsung and Apple are tracking each other tremendously well in almost every approach.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463