Help... Few questions about the Unlocked One

EverNap

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I have a 32GB unlocked One, and I will be gifting it to my dad at the end of this month. The phone will be used in the US on Tmo for the first 2 months, and then it'll be used in India (Airtel) when he goes back there.

1. Will the HTC One's updates be bound to the carrier is first associated with the phone? I have turned on the phone and used it on Wifi for YouTube and the browser, but haven't put any SIM card in it yet. Does that mean my phone is already activated, or do I have to do something else? If I use a Tmo SIM, will there be any effect when he goes back to India?

2. Will the phone's updates come based on the carrier's (Airtel or Tmo) schedule, or will it come directly from HTC when they release an update to that region?

3. My father doesn't tinker with the phone much, but is there any point in unlocking the bootloader now? If yes, how can I go about doing this? If I do unlock the bootloader, will there be any difference for updates? Like, will I have to unlock the bootloader every time? Will I lose all the data from the phone?

4. Will I be able to sign-in using my Google account for the few days before he comes here, and then sign into his account and give it to him? Will the apps that I downloaded using my google account get deleted?

If you can answer one/any of my questions, thank you for your help. Cheers.

Last edited:

Suda

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
1. The phone is activated, the carrier service isn't since you haven't put in the SIM. He can use a T-Mobile SIM for now until he goes to Airtel.
2. It will come from HTC, but it'll be based on the region the phone was initially purchased in. If it's a US phone then it'll get updates for it on the US schedule.
3. I wouldn't worry about doing it. Unlocking the bootloader and rooting only serves to tinker.

EverNap

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
1. The phone is activated, the carrier service isn't since you haven't put in the SIM. He can use a T-Mobile SIM for now until he goes to Airtel.
2. It will come from HTC, but it'll be based on the region the phone was initially purchased in. If it's a US phone then it'll get updates for it on the US schedule.
3. I wouldn't worry about doing it. Unlocking the bootloader and rooting only serves to tinker.
Thanks a lot. The trade-up offer by HTC said that I have to activate the phone before 30th April, so I was worried if I have to use a SIM or if I had to do something else.
Thanks for the info about the update and bootloader too. I'll pass on the unlocking part, and just tell him how to go about updating his OS as and when they arrive.

Also, will I be able to sign-in using my Google account for the few days, and then sign into another account later and give it to him? Will the apps that I downloaded using my google account get deleted?
Thanks again.

boxta

May 27, 2010
Visit site
yeah you can sign in for a few days... then sign in using his google acct.. and remove yours.. ...
though probably easiest if you set up with his account first... .. and you sign in as the secondary account.. then you remove yours and give it to him in a few days

EverNap

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
yeah you can sign in for a few days... then sign in using his google acct.. and remove yours.. ...
though probably easiest if you set up with his account first... .. and you sign in as the secondary account.. then you remove yours and give it to him in a few days
Hmm... ok. Thanks. I just wanted to try out a few apps (like dead pixel tester and all) before giving it to him.

I'll see if I can get him to tell me his account details, so that I can sign in with his account, without ruining the surprise. Thanks boxta

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC