Better notifications???

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I can't stand HTC one default message notification where it scrolls through the message in the status bar, I wondered if there is any iOS style notification bubbles or anything else better than the default notifications

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums

Russ Smith

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I can't stand HTC one default message notification where it scrolls through the message in the status bar, I wondered if there is any iOS style notification bubbles or anything else better than the default notifications

Yea sms pop up. Can reply from it without leaving current app too

Sent from my awesome HTC One B-)

tat21985

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
I use GO sms on my GS3, tons of personalization options, and there is a setting for status bar privacy, where it just displays "new message"

swarlos

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
I use GO sms on my GS3, tons of personalization options, and there is a setting for status bar privacy, where it just displays "new message"

+1 GO SMS is awesome so is Handcent those were my go to SMS apps when I was on android. You'd think by now that Stock Android and iOS would have freaking popup reply.

Sent from the collector home world.

prissysox

Trusted Member
Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
+1 GO SMS is awesome so is Handcent those were my go to SMS apps when I was on android. You'd think by now that Stock Android and iOS would have freaking popup reply.

Sent from the collector home world.

Pop up notifications are annoying to some people. That's why they're in the notification bar. It was actually a selling point of Android, BB10 and (my dearly departed) webOS

tat21985

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
I prefer pop up notifications, I send/receive 300 texts a day. For me, it makes it easier than having to go through the motions of opening my messaging, opening the thread, then replying to the message

frodriguez96

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I prefer pop up notifications, I send/receive 300 texts a day. For me, it makes it easier than having to go through the motions of opening my messaging, opening the thread, then replying to the message

If you are on 4.2+ you can just slide the notification bar and use two fingers on the message and hit reply for a pop up. No need to open the app or even unlock the phone (Without a security lock) to reply to a message.

I find pop ups really annoying, and especially while in another app like a game.

tat21985

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
If you are on 4.2+ you can just slide the notification bar and use two fingers on the message and hit reply for a pop up. No need to open the app or even unlock the phone (Without a security lock) to reply to a message.

I find pop ups really annoying, and especially while in another app like a game.

I can see your point on the dislike for popups. In Go SMS, you shut off the pop ups while gaming, if you so choose. I personally like to be able to personalize as deep as I can, and Go SMS goes WAY deeper in customization than the stock messaging.

Last edited:

prissysox

Trusted Member
Jun 11, 2010
Visit site

4.1 or higher.

robsawalker

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I have started using facebook messenger, which has Chat-heads which you can turn off. It has now taken over from my standard messaging....

LTrane

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
I bought Knock2+ but couldn't get it to work for anything other than Google Voice on the HTC One. I emailed the developer but got nothing back so i've uninstalled it. Also, you have to activite it in the Accessibility settings and this causes the lock screen on Sense 5 to act differently. I use the stock Productivity lockscreen which should allow you to scroll through notifications without unlocking the screen but, it appears that on Sense 5, anything that requires activation in Accessibility causes the lockscreen to attempt to unlock at the slightest touch without needing to drag up. This might be cool for some but not with my lockscreen of choice. Just installed Missed Call/SMS Alert app. So far, so good but doesn't pop up anywhere or turn on the screen, it just plays a reminder sound.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I bought Knock2+ but couldn't get it to work for anything other than Google Voice on the HTC One. I emailed the developer but got nothing back so i've uninstalled it. Also, you have to activite it in the Accessibility settings and this causes the lock screen on Sense 5 to act differently. I use the stock Productivity lockscreen which should allow you to scroll through notifications without unlocking the screen but, it appears that on Sense 5, anything that requires activation in Accessibility causes the lockscreen to attempt to unlock at the slightest touch without needing to drag up. This might be cool for some but not with my lockscreen of choice. Just installed Missed Call/SMS Alert app. So far, so good but doesn't pop up anywhere or turn on the screen, it just plays a reminder sound.

Knock2+ looks pretty neat. But it would just kill my battery. Sometimes I don't check my messages for hours. So I guess for me its no good. But still a very cool app!

Prandroid81

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
I hate popup notifications. So distracting. Notifications are my favorite thing about my switch to android from ios. Also ios tended to drop notifications sometimes while android shows everything

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Keep battery life in mind when you switch to pop up notifications on the screen. I had Tango for awhile and it managed all my SMS traffic and had pop up and reply features. It was a battery hog to keep that thing running in the background so I turned it off. Also, like many on here. I found it annoying to have my messages popping up while I was using my phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995