The HTC One Ain't Getting No OTA Updates....?!?

AGReklaw

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
This is the response to my questions to the folks at HTC:

"We certainly understand wanting to make sure you can keep your HTC One up to date despite the unlocked bootloader and can provide some information to help answer your questions.

Unlocking the bootloader on any HTC device actually prevents the phone from receiving official updates. This is because OTA updates are signed and phones with unlocked bootloaders will not be able to verify the signature."

"In regards to your concern about the 64GB unlocked version, the bootloader cannot be reverted to a locked state; nonetheless, you should have no trouble whatsoever with DRM if you do not use the device for not legal purposes.
Please reply to this email if you have further questions or concerns." --- I doubt this last statement...

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Actually that might be true, lg does the same thing with their phones. When you flash a stock ota, it checks for a locked bootloader and if it fails it won't flash.

They probably won't update it because it's branded a developer phone. They figure the devs that buy it will support it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I find it hard to believe that an unlocked dev edition HTC one won't receive ota updates. It would be too easy for HTC to build an update an have it look for key apps and recovery. If those are missing the update will fail. I believe that's why a few apps are deleted from the locked devices when you use the HTC dev unlock. But then again what do I know I'm just shooting off the hip HTC could decide that they don't want to update that device and leave it to the root community to keep it up to date.
Edit
Looks like at the beginning the rep was talking about the HTC dev unlock. Which will delete key apps and keep you from receiving ota updates. But that's different from the pre unlocked developer devices. Those are essentialy unbranded devices sold with an unlocked bootloader that support att frequencies. I see no reason why they can't send ota updates out for that as long as your running the stock recovery and have a fully stock system image.

AGReklaw

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
I made it clear in my message which phone I was talking about. The respondent could not have thought I was talking about using the devkit to unlock a phone.

Posted using Google's Nexus One
(Still waiting for a Nexus with enough storage.)

AGReklaw

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
Okay, there seem to be some confusion at HTC...
I sent another message to clarify what was what. Below is our exchange...

My message:
"I would like some clarity in my question and your answer... If I bought the 64GB HTC One Developer Edition, which is already unlocked, it will not be able to to be updated over the air (OTA)? Is there any other way for the phone's firmware and/or OS to be updated by HTC?

Your earnest and prompt reply is greatly appreciated."

HTC's Support Response:
"Thank you for your response. As of right now, we cannot determine what, if any, updates would be released for the phone. This is information is not available until an update is close to being released.

For right now, we can only recommend that you keep watch on our website at HTC or our Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/HTC for information on as it becomes available."

Well... I don't know about them ones...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johndoe11