Battery life while navigating

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
If you do some Googling, you'll see that Apple USB chargers work differently than standard USB chargers. In fact, a 2A output Apple USB charger may only put out 0.5A for an Android device.

cheeta186

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
you must have unlimited data still

Why is this a concern? I DO NOT have unlimited data anymore and use my phone for navigation all the time. This weekend I used it for navigation for about 14 hours and that only used 24 mb of data, which is no issue at all. Considering how much data everything else uses, that 24 mb will not hinder me at all.

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
If you do some Googling, you'll see that Apple USB chargers work differently than standard USB chargers. In fact, a 2A output Apple USB charger may only put out 0.5A for an Android device.
I'll take a look, I haven't experienced any issue with iOS charges in my home. The car charger I got wasn't device specific. Also, for some reason my battery usage seems to be getting better. I'm almost half way through the day and have a pretty full battery.

Jaggrey

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
This was an issue with the EVO LTE when it first came out, but in that case it was overheating and then refused to charge. After trying several chargers, I was able to solve the issue by using a Motorola charger. It at least will maintain the charge it had when initially plugged in and even charge it some, but it doesn't drain at all which is good. I'll add the link once I get back to a computer.

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE

dazjb

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
I use my old S3 car charger with mine and can use Google Nav or M8 without losing any charge. Over the space of an hour I would actually gain a few percent (not much, but some). Have screen brightness around 50% + bluetooth on for the hands free.

turb0wned

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Get a real car charger. End of this thread.

It's obviously going to charge slow using your head unit's usb. Their is absolutely no problem charging this phone while using GPS and streaming which a real car charger or the official HTC dock. I do it all the time.

Jaggrey

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
This was an issue with the EVO LTE when it first came out, but in that case it was overheating and then refused to charge. After trying several chargers, I was able to solve the issue by using a Motorola charger. It at least will maintain the charge it had when initially plugged in and even charge it some, but it doesn't drain at all which is good. I'll add the link once I get back to a computer.

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE
Here's the one I was referring to. Works perfect. Amazon.com: Motorola Vehicle Power Adapter micro-USB Rapid Rate Charger: Cell Phones & Accessories

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Get a real car charger. End of this thread.

It's obviously going to charge slow using your head unit's usb. Their is absolutely no problem charging this phone while using GPS and streaming which a real car charger or the official HTC dock. I do it all the time.
Reread the rest of the thread. I'm using a new, dedicated charger outputting 2A. I'll test it again on my commute home running GPS and blutoothing previously downloaded audio content. Screen will be between 50% and 60%, LTE on, mail checking in the background, power saver off.

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I bought these from amazon
and it made my phone(OG Evo) charge up literally twice as fast.

4.2 Amp Dual Micro USB car charger
Amazon.com: Lenmar AIDCU4 Dual USB Car Charger, High Output 4.2A for 2 iPads(4,3,2), iPhone 5, iPhone 4/4s, iPad mini, Samsung Galaxy S3, Galaxy S II, Motoral Droid RAZR MAXX HD, Amazon Kindle Fire, Barnes and Noble Nook, Google Nexus 7, Samsung G

And these Charge only Cables. Note:At first I used the above car charger with the Stock HTC Micro USB (Sync/Charge)cable.
It still charged at a normal slower rate. However, with these charge only cables. WOW. Big time difference.
Amazon.com: PureGear Charge-Sync Cable Only for Universal Micro USB - Retail Packaging: Cell Phones & Accessories
High quality cables too!

EDIT: I do notice that they changed the description to Sync/Charge cable.When I purchased my cables
The description said "charge only".
However, if you read the reviews people like me are reporting faster charge times and some dont?
I would contact the seller and ask if they are indeed still charge only cables?
I will say that the cables I purchased made a world of a difference.Even with GPS with 4G wimax my
phone would charge up at about 1-2% per minute.

Last edited:

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
In my test last night on my 45 min commute I only dropped 2% and that was using the headunit charger which is suspect as I don't know what the output is there. I'll do a similar test with the car power outlet charger tomorrow.

stevedebi

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
The only serious issue I'm seeing with this device is that the battery drains while charging plugged into my car head unit, while running google maps as my turn by turn. I'm about to go on my first real road trip with this device tomorrow and I'm pretty sure it will be dead a few hours into the drive simply by acting as my GPS and music streamer. Is this to be expected? Coming from an iPhone 4s where I could use TomTom or Google Nav and stream music while charging and barely touch the battery this is a bummer.

Any advice?

I had this issue with my Amaze 4G. I ended up using the BT handsfree and turning off the screen. I don't really need the screen anyway while driving, and the voice directions work great. I have found that it is the screen that is the key. I have not tried it with my One yet; I've gotten so used to using BT instead of the screen, I just do it auotmatically.

With Google maps one must realize that you are using the GPS, mobile data, and screen all at once. That is a lot of energy.