Still indecisive! HTC One or S4?

roberts68

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
I just got my s4 yesterday and cannot put it down
It is amazing technology
You can say all you want about Sl Samsung "gimmicks" but they are amazing
The latest TV commercial points out all the great technology this phone puts all others to shame!
But go ahead and get your One.

Sent from my amazing Samsung Galaxy S4... there is none better!

Mello_Asian

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
I just got my s4 yesterday and cannot put it down
It is amazing technology
You can say all you want about Sl Samsung "gimmicks" but they are amazing
The latest TV commercial points out all the great technology this phone puts all others to shame!
But go ahead and get your One.

Glad you like it! The thing about the air view and gestures is that I won't be using them, so I don't consider them as factors. But everything else it has (hardware, camera, display, etc.) I love.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I'll be going to Sprint tomorrow and deciding between the HTC One and the S4.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

Mello_Asian

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Have you gotten your phone yet? Curious to see what you think...
I haven't gotten it yet. The device should be here by Monday. I'll let you know what I think about it once I get my hands on it :)

I'll be going to Sprint tomorrow and deciding between the HTC One and the S4.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.
Good luck with that! But no matter which one you get, you're gonna have a great device on your hands!

ratchetjaw#AC

Oct 27, 2009
Visit site
I just switched from my HTC One for a few hours and went to run errands. As soon as I got back home, I went straight back to my HTC One, I like it that much. The G4 will be on the shelf as a backup. Nuff said!

My gs4 went back. Love the HTC One. I was going to keep it as back up but the HTC One for the starting position and won't need back up unless broken. Gs3 will back it up in that instance. Paid retail for it so didn't want it sitting around

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Cool James

May 6, 2013
Visit site
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey, everyone! My contract is close to its expiration, and I was wondering what phone I should get to replace my LG Optimus S. Both the HTC One and GS4 are great phones, and I'd be very complacent to get either one of them since they are a HUGH upgrade from the Optimus S.

However, as a high school student, I was wondering which of them would be much better/more helpful/more convenient for me in the next two years under a new contract. I'll be using my phone more for the camera, music player, more accessible games to pass time, and to help me with certain tasks with the browser or certain apps (searching up things, sparknotes, AP notes, etc.)

HTC Pros: pretty much everything; almost zero lag, audio quality, pretty good (but not great) camera & its features, design, 32 GB memory = more music and pics.
Cons: although overall it is much better than my current phone's and is amongst the top, the HTC's 4 MP camera is kind of what holds me back at times. Also, the no menu button might slightly bother me and the phone is almost irreparable if it breaks.

S4 Pros: better simplicity, better convenience, somewhat better camera than the One's, useful Multi-Window, it looks easier to use, reparable, expandable memory and replaceable battery
Cons: some minor lag issues, 16GB might not be enough (but its more than my Optimus S's 2 GB lol).

Note: those are from what I've heard/seen from reviews.
Anyways, sorry for making this post long! Please help me out with either experiences from these phones or with any info!

Thanks, and sorry if this might be the wrong thread.

You might want to include non expandable memory in the Cons section, just saying.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
I prefer the one over the S4. One of my favorite features of the one is this keyboard. It is freaking perfect and with the width of this phone it is a pleasure to type on. I also live boom sound. Playing games or watching YouTube videos are fantastic.

Sent from my HTC One

slayerpsp

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
I have the Htc one coming from Note 2 if you like to play a lot of ea gameloft games and dont root Htc is the way to go 25 gb of space for big games The gs 4 only 10gb of user space for games and apps if you dont root making the sd card slot good for only music and videos but there is programs out there that will move the games to the sd card GL TO SD works well but you need root. The hardware is about the same gs4 clocked higher but I have a custom kernel on mine clocked to 1.9 like the gs4. hard choice 50 bucks less for the one on Sprint made the choice a little easier and i really dont like the look of the gs4 to much like the gs3

BroadcastJunkie

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Here is my 2 cents. My buddy has the One I have the S4.

I've noticed lag on my phone with the touchwiz. but thats probably more due to the fact they rushed to get 4.2.2 on it more than anything. Everything else works beautifully.

Problems, I've noticed already with my buddies One, which I only see every so often.
Microphone issue. Sometimes the mic picks up lots of static. So say you are doing a google search... the mic will pick up static and not stop so your voice search doesn't do anything. Kind of annoying when you need an answer right NOW ;)

Camera,great in low light, but after that its basically a joke. Weird thing is, when you are going from a dark area to a lite up area the camera does some weird red color on all the black.. really funky.

but, that can all be fixed in updates, I would hope.

The biggest problem is signal... the s4 just gets better signal. We are sitting at the same spot in my house I have 4g he does not.
I'm in my basement have 4g, he does not.. if signal is important to you.. which probably is more than anything on the phone. my pick would be the s4.

Also to no, he did question switching to the s4.. and counted the days he had it.. only to find out he was a day too late.

Hope this helps some of you.. but as always to each his/her own.

happy phoning

EDIT

forgot to add that, there are also compatibility issues with games. Even though the phones have the same specs.. while the one is slightly underclocked to save battery. They should still handle the same games. Yet, the One can't download Vice City, because the phone isn't supported. It couldn't get Real Racing 3...

My experience with HTC was good at one point, till they started to forget about their phones after they put them out... I've had the Evo 3D, Evo 4G LTE, and I would talk about how crappy the plastic phones were that samsung put out.... was I wrong.

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
My GF has the s4. On build quality alone the One beats the S4 hands down. Samsung and their plastic junk is such a turn off to me. Can't deny the One next to the S4 blows it away. I had the s3 and hated the "nature UI" and touch wiz so when the S4 was announced, I never bothered looking at it on those two alone. Sense 5.0 is so much better than it was. It's very minimal.

StuartV

Allergic to Stupid
Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
If you're going to be stuck using it for 2 years, you should definitely get the S4. Or, after a year or so, plan on the battery in your One starting to seriously degrade and lasting half as long (or worse) on a charge before your 2-year contract is up.

peacekeeper05

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
The smart choice for a phone on a 2 yr. contract would be the S4.

Samsung is famous on supporting their phones faster and longer than any other OEMs. And the fact that the storage is expandable and the battery is replaceable should let you do more with your phone.

Camera is also better on the GS4. Battery is better, Web vbrowsing, gaming, just about everything is better on the GS4.

And since the GS4 is more famous, there is a big chance your friends will have one. It would be nice to share apps, ideas, accessories.. The world of Samsung Galaxy Phones are the best user experience you can get from any Android device.

NW_MrNotSoRight

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I am a HTC One user and a previous GS2,3 user, in fact I saw your post on my blinkfeeds and am responding to you using my HTC one. Sincerely speaking, I am loving the new sense five, I have used HTC thunderbolt and it was bad, but the new user interface is just brilliant. As a very social person, it is may more useful than I had expected. It updates you with all the information online without typing urls... It would be better if the options of blinkfeed websites are wider. I really wantBBC on it! But again the touch screen isn't as good as I have expected. It's responsive, but not as accurate, but at least better than my iPhone 5 which has a terrible accuracy due to the in cell touch tech...

sequoia462

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
Doesn't the S4 have screen spitting between 2 apps? That would be a good feature for a student (this coming from a fellow university student).

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for your post! Yeah, my dad ordered the HTC One already :)
I just hope to get the same great experience everyone is having with the phone because I'm gonna need whichever's best for the next two years. I'm mostly going to use the phone for the browser, along with a bit of social networking and camera (I'm not much of a heavy user of these as you'd expect), and I've seen on some videos that the S4 performed slightly better. Nonetheless, the difference isn't that great. It just basically comes down to how I feel about the HTC One when I get it. If I'm not feeling it like whenever I use a friend's S3, I'll exchange it for the S4.

As far as video quality, I think the HTC One is capable of really good video too. Take a look in the HTC ONE photos thread. There's an amazing example of some concert footage taken at Disney's Mad T Party. Looks and sounds excellent. I have yet to see an S4 video that looks and sounds as good.

kolyan2k

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Posted my thoughts on XDA:

I had the One since the 18th, liked most everything about it. It was smooth, no stutter or lag, gorgeous phone and awesome screen. I've always been a fan of Samsung (S2, Skyrocket, S3, Note 2). So I've been fighting a little devil in my head to try the S4, devil won and I exchanged the One for the S4 on Saturday. BIG MISTAKE! The S4 is laggy, Wifi signal repeatedly drops, TouchWiz use to be tolerable but now it's just a bloated septic tank of a OS. You could strip the 5% of whats left of Android out of the phone and it would stand on it's own. You expect to see android somewhere and but it's buried. I read another describe it as a 2003 HP computer with all the crap on here, that's pretty accurate. The S4 screen is gorgeous and the camera software is awesome, but the rest of the OS just wreaks. On paper it looks like a phenomenal device, in practice it's anything but. No premium device should lag this bad. I would equate the S4 to having a really hot chick sitting on your face and then ripping ***, totally kills the experience. I've loved their devices in the past and I thought I owed it to myself to try it, but now I'm stuck graveling back to the ATT store manager hoping he lets me do another exchange.

have you tried disabling animations in S4 ? When I played with S4 in store I noticed lag and it was gone right after that was disabled.

roberts68

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
I love my s4, I can't put it down.
You will love all the air gesture features, the camera, the split screen feature, it is packed, and Samsung supports their phones with updates and upgrades.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463