GPS on/off on HTC One

R4GE46

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi Folks,

were can I enable GPS on the HTC One? I have donwloaded Eye in the Sky but the GPS doesn't work?

Thanks for any help!

Rage

vbockius

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Also...you do not need to turn gps off anymore since ice cream sandwich, you can leave it on and it won't do anything until an app needs it....

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Also...you do not need to turn gps off anymore since ice cream sandwich, you can leave it on and it won't do anything until an app needs it....

That's true but GPS comes on for apps that don't really need it. For instance if you have location services on and youre using maps or local then that's sufficient. But if GPS is on as well it kicks in thus using more battery for apps and functions that doesnt really need it at the moment because location services through mobile data is all that is needed. So yes, it doesn't turn on unless a location service is needed. Problem is that GPS isnt needed for most location services. I wish it only kicked in for those apps that actually needed GPS and mobile data location services are not sufficient such as GPS. I don't need it to turn on when I use Google local though.

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums

vbockius

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
but for the 2 seconds it takes to find you, i haven't seen any better battery life turning it on and off, for me its not worth toggling it, I play ingress alot lol

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
but for the 2 seconds it takes to find you, i haven't seen any better battery life turning it on and off, for me its not worth toggling it, I play ingress alot lol

Yeah I agree. I don't think it makes a ton of difference but I wish the OS was much more smarter managing the radios. Usually I'm on local for 5 mins at a time and the gps is engaged the entire time but mobile data starts and stops according to what you're doing. So I guess, like most things, depends on the user lol.

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums