HTC is better, my take. Own G4 and HTC One

CSI Guy

Feb 25, 2009
Visit site
OK, I own the G4 and the HTC One and after using both I realize how nice the HTC One is when actually using it in the real world. When using the HTC outside you can still see the screen very
well. Just turn your turn your back to the sun and it is great. The G4 is almost non readable in any bright light. If you turn up the brightness all of the way then you can see it somewhat but then your are burning up the battery. I love the fit and finish of the HTC but that is personal. Having 32 gigs memory for programs is very useful. I am down to 8 gigs on the HTC after loading my programs and would like to load more. On the HTC, I have 24 gigs left for programs and anything else that I need. I use Dropbox for photos and files. I don't use any of the new fancy fitness features etc. so those don't matter to me.

Those are just a couple of things that I realized after using both phones. So if you are on the fence about which one to buy, I suggest the HTC One.

mysterygirl

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the observations. I love my One. I may grab an S4 for my work phone. Although I'm actually tempted to get a second One. The One is a truly fantastic phone, I'm not a fan of TW, and I don't mind throwing some additional support to HTC. Will go try the S4 today.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

John Lawson

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
it was lack of FM radio on the G4 which was the deal breaker for me.

Regardless of how fantastic both phones are, this is important to me, but probably in a minority.

HTC One ordered, migrating from Samsung G2.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Having had a s3 and Note II, I woke heartedly agree with the brightness problem on the s4. It is hard to see in direct sunlight. Luckily for me, I rarely use it outdoors, but if outdoor usage was important, I would certainly pick the one over the gs4.For me though, I love the bigger screen of the note 2 and the removable battery and external sd card. Most of my storage is media, so I just put all that on my sd card.

I do like the materials of the one better, as well as the front speakers. If htc came out with a note like device with removable media and battery, then I would have bought that over my note 2.

Obviously different needs for different people, get whatever phone that suits your needs.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Having had a s3 and Note II, I woke heartedly agree with the brightness problem on the s4. It is hard to see in direct sunlight. Luckily for me, I rarely use it outdoors, but if outdoor usage was important, I would certainly pick the one over the gs4.For me though, I love the bigger screen of the note 2 and the removable battery and external sd card. Most of my storage is media, so I just put all that on my sd card.

I do like the materials of the one better, as well as the front speakers. If htc came out with a note like device with removable media and battery, then I would have bought that over my note 2.

Obviously different needs for different people, get whatever phone that suits your needs.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

Agreed. I still need to check out the Galaxy S4 and the HTC One in store but if the S4 is like the S3 (which I know it is) in direct sunlight it's very hard to see.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

Regardless of how fantastic both phones are, this is important to me, but probably in a minority.

That's important info to me. I like FM radio to listen to games blacked out on internet. Does everyone have the issue with capacitive keys requiring multiple tries?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

bigtnew

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site

This was incredibly important to me as well.

Mello_Asian

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Hey, CSI Guy. Since you've owned both phones, would you mind replying to my post on deciding on whether I should get the One or the S4 if I'm looking for which one would help me more for school purposes?

All the details are in the post.

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
That's important info to me. I like FM radio to listen to games blacked out on internet. Does everyone have the issue with capacitive keys requiring multiple tries?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
I don't really have too much issue with the capacitive keys, though I do have a little bit here and there. It isn't that they're not functioning - it's that the active spot on the digitizer is very small, basically just slightly larger than the icon itself so your touch has to be fairly accurate. I've seen threads about the post-release update that's beginning to push out and people say this is one of the areas that really improves.

dtblair24

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Interesting because I read how they increased the brightness by like 60% or something like that in the S4. I will definitely take the outdoor visibility issues info consideration because I hate trying to use my S3 outside

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Interesting because I read how they increased the brightness by like 60% or something like that in the S4. I will definitely take the outdoor visibility issues info consideration because I hate trying to use my S3 outside

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Whereas the S3 was complete unreadable in bright sunlight the S4 is greatly improved and even in bright South Florida sun I have no trouble seeing the screen even with sunglasses on. I wouldnt let that be a factor in your decision.

richv77

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
What about the camera? I can't see going from a 8 megapixel camera ( on my S3) to a 4 Ultra pixel camera.

-Rich

OK, I own the G4 and the HTC One and after using both I realize how nice the HTC One is when actually using it in the real world. When using the HTC outside you can still see the screen very
well. Just turn your turn your back to the sun and it is great. The G4 is almost non readable in any bright light. If you turn up the brightness all of the way then you can see it somewhat but then your are burning up the battery. I love the fit and finish of the HTC but that is personal. Having 32 gigs memory for programs is very useful. I am down to 8 gigs on the HTC after loading my programs and would like to load more. On the HTC, I have 24 gigs left for programs and anything else that I need. I use Dropbox for photos and files. I don't use any of the new fancy fitness features etc. so those don't matter to me.

Those are just a couple of things that I realized after using both phones. So if you are on the fence about which one to buy, I suggest the HTC One.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Will my Samsung desktop charger work with the One?

-Rich
Since micro usb is pretty much industry standard it should work fine for charging.

What about the camera? I can't see going from a 8 megapixel camera ( on my S3) to a 4 Ultra pixel camera.

-Rich
The pictures will be better in low light situations and not as good in bright situations but the pictures will still look good with either device.

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site

-Rich

I directly compared an S3 with the HTC One this weekend. Indoor portrait, moderate light. The One was sharp and clear, the S3 was fuzzy/blurry in comparison. So, going from the s3 camera to the One is a clear upgrade at least for indoor, moderate light, portraits. I would assume the advantage grows as light diminishes and wanes as the light increases.

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Since micro usb is pretty much industry standard it should work fine for charging.

The pictures will be better in low light situations and not as good in bright situations but the pictures will still look good with either device.

Someone also pointed out that the S4 is difficult to see in bright light, so framing photos is more difficult. I can't speak from direct experience on that though.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Someone also pointed out that the S4 is difficult to see in bright light, so framing photos is more difficult. I can't speak from direct experience on that though.

I don't own the device either I just know those answers from being on the forums at nauseum. Yes the screen is not as good in sunlight but many people either don't have a problem or they must likely tilt the screen away from the sun. I think this is something you need to test yourself as everyone has a difference experience. I use the Note II and the display is not as bright as the GS4 and I don't have problems with sunlight when my brightness is cranked up but many others do.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThatDude