Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Back Microphone Issue (when on Speakerphone)

Hi All,

I am finding an issue with my HTC One when the speakerphone is on. The recipient is having trouble hearing me unless I put the back microphone very close to my mouth. From what I can tell when the speakerphone is turned on, the back microphone turns on while the front one turns off. If I do not put the back microphone close to my mouth, I can barely be heard on the other side. For example, I put the HTC One face down on my desk and the distance between the back microphone and my mouth is probably 1.5-2 feet away. At this distance, I cannot be heard unless I short a bit loud. The back microphone literally has to be 1-2 inches away in order me to be heard clearly using a normal voice. If I have the screen facing me, meaning the back microphone is facing away from me, then it's nearly impossible for the other party to hear me. This is the only problem I have encountered with my HTC One thus far. Everything else works like a charm.

Does anyone else have this kind of issue when using the speakerphone? Is there some settings I can try?

Thank you.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,876 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

Default Re: Back Microphone Issue (when on Speakerphone)

Quote Originally Posted by SwiftNinjaDog View Post
    Hi All,

I am finding an issue with my HTC One when the speakerphone is on. The recipient is having trouble hearing me unless I put the back microphone very close to my mouth. From what I can tell when the speakerphone is turned on, the back microphone turns on while the front one turns off. If I do not put the back microphone close to my mouth, I can barely be heard on the other side. For example, I put the HTC One face down on my desk and the distance between the back microphone and my mouth is probably 1.5-2 feet away. At this distance, I cannot be heard unless I short a bit loud. The back microphone literally has to be 1-2 inches away in order me to be heard clearly using a normal voice. If I have the screen facing me, meaning the back microphone is facing away from me, then it's nearly impossible for the other party to hear me. This is the only problem I have encountered with my HTC One thus far. Everything else works like a charm.

Does anyone else have this kind of issue when using the speakerphone? Is there some settings I can try?

Thank you.
    I've only made one call using the speakerphone, and the other party didn't report any issues with being able to hear me.

Quote Originally Posted by SwiftNinjaDog View Post
    Hi All,

Thank you.
    I have experienced this as well. A similar situation is when I've been driving in the car with the phone on speakerphone, and the a/c is blowing against the back microphone. I think it's messing up the noise-cancelling ability of the phone and causing a distortion for the other person. Same thing with the phone on the table.

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    12 Global Posts

I have the exact same problem. This is a warranty replacement. My previous HTC One was working fine.
    In speakerphone, I have to get very close to the back microphone. Otherwise the other person can't hear me.
    Did you ever get to fix this problem? I'm wondering if it's a firmware issue or what. My phone is for AT&T and I currently have a stock Google Experience RUU on it with OTA updates.