Swype vs SwiftKey

Jakiro201

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
Over the past few weeks I've been trying out these 2 keyboards and overall I'm pretty happy with both of them. For me the Swiftkey is a better choice because its flow feature seems to fit me better. Just curious to know your thoughts on them :)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

fz1jmp

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Over the past few weeks I've been trying out these 2 keyboards and overall I'm pretty happy with both of them. For me the Swiftkey is a better choice because its flow feature seems to fit me better. Just curious to know your thoughts on them :)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Being somewhat new to both keyboards, I used the standard one for about a week then replaced it with Swiftkey and got so used to that swipe typing I have a hard time getting used to typing without it. It seems to learn your style and once I got used to it, I type much faster.

CleverHaiku

May 31, 2013
Visit site
No Japanese on Swiftkey yet... I mistakenly paid for the full version after reading a blog post saying that Swiftkey 4 offered Japanese support. Nope...

I need to use two languages daily for work (and because my fiancee is Japanese), so Swype wins because they offer Japanese. However, the Swifkey interface is much more appealing to me, so they will win me back if they ever adopt 日本語. I just hope they do it soon.

bigtnew

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Swype needs google voice integration. That dragon partnership they use is annoying. I got a refund within 15 mins.

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

RenoD2010

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I have only ever used SwiftKey (writing this using Flow) so I can't offer a comparison to Swype. I CAN tell you how much I like SwiftKey over the stock LG and Android keyboards though. I got the paid version as a free app through Amazon which is even better.

The only thing I wish SwiftKey had was a dedicated ".com" key for typing email addresses.

From my LG Optimus G E970

ectoren

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
I have both, but I prefer Swiftkey. Living along the US-Mexico border, means communicating bilingually. Spanisn and English back and forth. With Swype ya have to hold the spacebar button to change the language and choose it. And back and forth. That get tiring fast. With Swiftkey you don't worry about that. Actually, HTC stock keyboard bests Swype in this regard. You just hit the ES/ENG button once and change language.

robsawalker

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Hmn, Swype fan here. I tried using Swiftkey, but it just seemed to only try and predict words and didn't swipe input. Am I missing something? Because I'm happy to try it again if you can swipe with it. It's word predictions were, for me, hopeless. I love swype.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Hmn, Swype fan here. I tried using Swiftkey, but it just seemed to only try and predict words and didn't swipe input. Am I missing something? Because I'm happy to try it again if you can swipe with it. It's word predictions were, for me, hopeless. I love swype.

They have updated swiftkey and it now has an option called "swiftkey flow" which is basically their version of swype for their keyboard.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
I used to use swype, but have swithched to swift key - not sure wihich I like better. Swift key has great predictive abilities that make going back to swype hard but some words it just won't swipe. In those cases it is a hassle as you delete and go back and try again thinking you just swiped wrong, but nope, just wont do that word, so you go back and manually peck in the word.

Swipe at least always showed the right word left most in the list of choices so if you really meant to type a strange word or name or abbreviation, you could easily confirm it and even add to your dictionary. Swiftkey wont just won't allow certain common words to be swiped at all.

I also liked swipes little double letter enter system. So used to that that I offen try it in swiftkey.

dragonsamus

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I loved Swype but I've since moved onto SwiftKey. I got the app for free from the amazon app store free app of the day. I used the HTC keyboard for a bit but eventually switched.

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
For swiping style typing I much prefer swype to swiftkey. I've been a swyper for a couple years and then gave swiftkey a try for about 6 months. On both my gnex and my S4 I just found that swype was faster and more responsive and accurate when comparing both using swiping style input.

c613m

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
I made the jump to Swiftkey from stock, can't comment on Swype but I don't know why I never used Swiftkey before! It's so much better than the stock!! Being this is my first non-iPhone, I was hesitant to spend money on a keyboard app, but wow. Blown away how much better it is!

mrbootcrm

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I used to use swype, but have swithched to swift key - not sure wihich I like better. Swift key has great predictive abilities that make going back to swype hard but some words it just won't swipe. In those cases it is a hassle as you delete and go back and try again thinking you just swiped wrong, but nope, just wont do that word, so you go back and manually peck in the word.

Swipe at least always showed the right word left most in the list of choices so if you really meant to type a strange word or name or abbreviation, you could easily confirm it and even add to your dictionary. Swiftkey wont just won't allow certain common words to be swiped at all.

I also liked swipes little double letter enter system. So used to that that I offen try it in swiftkey.

Funny, I was going to say the same thing. I still don't know which I prefer. I used swype since it came to the OG EVO but gave swiftkey a try a while back when they added the swiping funtion. I love the look of swiftkey and it's pretty good about prediction, but like you said sometimes putting in a word is near impossible. I keep trying to personalize it but it seems to falter on things I say often. Like if I start a sentence with "Was" as in "Was driving, sorry" it almost always puts "Says" instead. I might go back to swype but my friend who also has a One had HUGE lag spikes with swype so I'm a little weary now. I do love the idea of swiftkey but honestly swype is just better at deciding what word you are trying to type now, not what sentece you are trying to form, like swiftkey. I guess I'm just hoping they update swiftkey to be better because overall I like it better, just not overwhelmingly so.

jova33

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm testing out SwiftKey, but for some reason it keeps putting soft for swift, which doesn't make sense because I'm swipping over the 'w' for swift.
Also, swype seemed more forgiving to accidents and misspellings and would figure out what you're trying to say better. This next word prediction on SwiftKey is really annoying too.

Sent from my wireless telephonic device.

jova33

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I had to go back to Swype after a day. Trying to type an important message and swift key kept misspelling crap.

Sent from my wireless telephonic device.

henryfool3

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I'll throw my hat in the ring and say SwiftKey is my choice. Been using it for years now. Best predictions, easy to use and set. Bottom line, it works really well. And flow is a nice touch.

Just my take.

Posted via Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucharmer