Going Back to iPhone 5

Viva Terlingua

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Re: Going Back to Iphone 5

Just got an HTC One yesterday, coming from an iPhone. My initial impression is that this is not a one handed phone. I have average size hands for a male, so it least half of all men and most women have smaller hands and I don't see how they can use this phone one handed. Just pressing the power button and then moving down to unlock takes 2 hands or you risk dropping the phone. I'll have to wait and see if I can get used to it since one handed use is very important to me. My favorite phone ever was a Treo Pro because I could do everything one handed on it very quickly and easily.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

Just got an HTC One yesterday, coming from an iPhone. My initial impression is that this is not a one handed phone. I have average size hands for a male, so it least half of all men and most women have smaller hands and I don't see how they can use this phone one handed. Just pressing the power button and then moving down to unlock takes 2 hands or you risk dropping the phone. I'll have to wait and see if I can get used to it since one handed use is very important to me. My favorite phone ever was a Treo Pro because I could do everything one handed on it very quickly and easily.
One handed use is very important yet you buy a new phone with almost a 5in screen? Lol. Okay.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Viva Terlingua

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site

One handed use is very important yet you buy a new phone with almost a 5in screen? Lol. Okay.

A lot of the reviews said you could use it one handed, but I'm not seeing it yet.

Things seem to take more steps as well on the One than they did on the iPhone. An example is calling a favorite. On the iPhone; 1. tap the phone icon, 2. tap the favorite icon, 3. tap the favorite itself and the phone dials the call. On the One; 1. tap the phone icon, 2 (maybe 3 or 4), swipe until you get to the favorites screen, 3. select the favorite, 4. select the favorites phone number and the phone dials.

I realize it doesn't sound like many extra steps, but done often enough it is.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

A lot of the reviews said you could use it one handed, but I'm not seeing it yet.

Things seem to take more steps as well on the One than they did on the iPhone. An example is calling a favorite. On the iPhone; 1. tap the phone icon, 2. tap the favorite icon, 3. tap the favorite itself and the phone dials the call. On the One; 1. tap the phone icon, 2 (maybe 3 or 4), swipe until you get to the favorites screen, 3. select the favorite, 4. select the favorites phone number and the phone dials.

Stock does this in as many if not less steps than the iPhone. Same goes for a lot of other things.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site

Circle launcher. Tap the circle, your selected pictures of you contacts open. Tap the picture, the call is made. Save a step or more because you won't have to scroll down to find that contact that isn't on the first screen for the iphone.

Plenty of other ways are available to accomplish this if you don't want to use circle launcher.

Use the power of android customization and widgets.

tqmcguire

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site

Being an iPhone user since 2008 and an "on again/off again" Android user since the Nexus One, I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that some things takes more steps on one than the other. Widgets are extremely useful for turning on and off various things like Wifi, bluetooth, etc, in one step and that kills iOS but aside from that and giving me a pretty way to see the weather and time they're just another thing in the way of me getting where I ultimately want to go. They're good if I just want to look at something but 90% of the time I want to interact with it. For example, if I use the Gmail widget to check my email but then want to read the email, I tap the message and it opens the Gmail app. I could've simply opened the Gmail app from my home screen instead of swiping left, looking at the widget and then opening Gmail. The 2Do widget is the same. I can see my list of tasks but if I tap it, it opens the app. I'm positive there are many more useful widgets out there, I was just using these as an example because I use them personally. Also, on the one-handed use; yes, the iPhone is easier to use one-handed but it's a smaller device. I got the One knowing it wouldn't be 100% useable with one hand but for the most part it's ok. It's something we know coming in and if it's a dealbreaker then we have to look elsewhere.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

Add your favorites to a secondary screen. 1 tap and it calls.

FishenFool

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site

But it was a puny 2.5" screen which is even smaller than the Pre and when I pick up my old Pre it feels like a toy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Jon Leunen

May 17, 2013
Visit site

I think if you watch a lot of videos, web browse, and take/share a lot of pictures the One is for you. You'll benefit from the large screen and amazing speakers. The camera features are some of the best on any phone.

If you like music and podcasts, make a lot of phone calls, and want the widest selection of optimized apps go with iPhone. It's widely supported and the multimedia functions just work. The iPhone 5 has the best battery life is that's important to you.

Shken

May 20, 2013
Visit site

I have last week changed from iPhone 5 to HTC One having had an iPhone since 2007, At the moment the only thing I miss is the ability to change the volume on music with both my soundmagic earphones and the apple ear pods, Does anyone know of a way to get volume working on an apple type remote? Very petty but its getting me annoyed !!! ;)

Viva Terlingua

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site

But it was a puny 2.5" screen which is even smaller than the Pre and when I pick up my old Pre it feels like a toy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Agreed. It wasn't much for watching videos or looking at pictures. But for texting, emails, adding events to a calendar, or working with tasks, it was hard to beat.

Somebody needs to make a phone with the small screen and physical keyboard on the front, and a full size screen on the back and you'd have the best of both worlds.

Viva Terlingua

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site

I think if you watch a lot of videos, web browse, and take/share a lot of pictures the One is for you. You'll benefit from the large screen and amazing speakers. The camera features are some of the best on any phone.

If you like music and podcasts, make a lot of phone calls, and want the widest selection of optimized apps go with iPhone. It's widely supported and the multimedia functions just work. The iPhone 5 has the best battery life is that's important to you.

I don't take that many pictures with my phone, I prefer a regular camera. I don't watch many videos and use earbuds when listening to music. So the iPhone would be my first choice. However, I had an iPhone 5 and had too much trouble with the wifi and returned it.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site

I don't take that many pictures with my phone, I prefer a regular camera. I don't watch many videos and use earbuds when listening to music. So the iPhone would be my first choice. However, I had an iPhone 5 and had too much trouble with the wifi and returned it.
That's strange, diid you try another unit? definitely not normal.

Kata Rina

May 8, 2013
Visit site

I have iPhone 5 so does my son
I just got the Samsung Galaxy S4 and I tested both with the iPhone being not used just standby the Samsung still lasted double

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site

I have iPhone 5 so does my son
I just got the Samsung Galaxy S4 and I tested both with the iPhone being not used just standby the Samsung still lasted double

In am sorry but that is just lies. No way its double. I've had both as well

Posted via Android Central App

Asec

May 21, 2013
Visit site

Decided to give Android another try with the HTC One, and I have to admit, whenever I run across an issue or a bug with it my instinct is to run back to the safe, familiar iPhone. I have to say that despite it being quite new out of the box, the HTC does lag noticeably more than my two-year-old iPhone 4S ever did, even when flipping through pages in the Kindle app etc. The iOS atmosphere may be a bit boring but its seamlessness is just unbeatable. And dear god I miss iMessage and simple things like being able to take a screenshot of a Snapchat without frustratingly spending 2 hours finding a method on the One (to no avail, I might add).

I really love this phone though and I'm going to try to stick it out, but coming from 3 years of constant 24/7 iPhone use, you really notice the difference in the little things. Anyone with tips on how to ease the transition, or how to make the One run as smoothly as possible (I'm new to Android so don't know many tricks/tips) would be much appreciated. I've definitely looked at guides and stuff you find on Google but those are mostly lists of "popular apps", many repetitive and unnecessary, and not detailed in user experience.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

Decided to give Android another try with the HTC One, and I have to admit, whenever I run across an issue or a bug with it my instinct is to run back to the safe, familiar iPhone. I have to say that despite it being quite new out of the box, the HTC does lag noticeably more than my two-year-old iPhone 4S ever did, even when flipping through pages in the Kindle app etc. The iOS atmosphere may be a bit boring but its seamlessness is just unbeatable. And dear god I miss iMessage and simple things like being able to take a screenshot of a Snapchat without frustratingly spending 2 hours finding a method on the One (to no avail, I might add).

I really love this phone though and I'm going to try to stick it out, but coming from 3 years of constant 24/7 iPhone use, you really notice the difference in the little things. Anyone with tips on how to ease the transition, or how to make the One run as smoothly as possible (I'm new to Android so don't know many tricks/tips) would be much appreciated. I've definitely looked at guides and stuff you find on Google but those are mostly lists of "popular apps", many repetitive and unnecessary, and not detailed in user experience.
There are big differences between how Android works vs. The iPhone. This article is good at explaining why you can get a bit of a studder with Android now and again.
http://fleetingtech.wordpress.com/2012/11/26/why-has-ios-always-been-smoother-than-android/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol