HTC Music Player can't find Google Play songs

clevendore

May 1, 2013
Visit site
The HTC Music player cannot find the songs that I downloaded from Google Play Music? I can't find them either using ES File Explorer although they always show up in the Google "Play Music" app. I've configured the songs that I downloaded from Google "Play Music" to download to the phone and they show as "Pinned" in the "Play Music" app. Lastly I confirmed that the music is on the phone by playing them with "Play Music" while the phone is is airplane mode. I want the default HTC music player to play these songs since that player is available from the lock screen and blink feed. Anybody know the trick ?

SteveISU

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Google play music is cloud based and can't be downloaded for protection rights. If you want a hard copy of your music on the phone connect it to HTC sync manager and select the playlists/songs you want it to import from on itunes.

clevendore

May 1, 2013
Visit site
Google play music is cloud based and can't be downloaded for protection rights. If you want a hard copy of your music on the phone connect it to HTC sync manager and select the playlists/songs you want it to import from on itunes.

Thanks for reply but I don't think that's accurate. Here's a quote from the google link below. "Not online? No problem. You can select specific albums, artists and playlists you want to have available when you're not connected. And the songs you've recently played will automatically be available offline." Introduction to music on Google Play - Google Play Help

As I mentioned in my original post, the songs play in Google Play Music even when I'm in airplane mode so I'm confident that the songs are on the phone *somewhere*.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
The HTC Music player cannot find the songs that I downloaded from Google Play Music? I can't find them either using ES File Explorer although they always show up in the Google "Play Music" app. I've configured the songs that I downloaded from Google "Play Music" to download to the phone and they show as "Pinned" in the "Play Music" app. Lastly I confirmed that the music is on the phone by playing them with "Play Music" while the phone is is airplane mode. I want the default HTC music player to play these songs since that player is available from the lock screen and blink feed. Anybody know the trick ?

Play music files can be downloaded on the computer. You are limited into the number of times but they can be downloaded on the computer as MP3 and used however you like.

To the OP, you can't play google music files on your phone in other players. When you select the items to be on your phone, what you're really doing is caching your music on your phone and not downloading files. What you'll have to do is download the files on the computer as MP3s and then drag and drop the files back on your phone and then the music player will be able to play them. This is why I don't purchase music from the play store because I use powerAMP and I don't have the time to get doing the "workaround".

SteveISU

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Hmm, I was told it was due to piracy issues. I knew you couldn't transfer songs on your device from google music to the stock player or a SD card.

clevendore

May 1, 2013
Visit site
Play music files can be downloaded on the computer. You are limited into the number of times but they can be downloaded on the computer as MP3 and used however you like.

To the OP, you can't play google music files on your phone in other players. When you select the items to be on your phone, what you're really doing is caching your music on your phone and not downloading files. What you'll have to do is download the files on the computer as MP3s and then drag and drop the files back on your phone and then the music player will be able to play them. This is why I don't purchase music from the play store because I use powerAMP and I don't have the time to get doing the "workaround".

Thanks scorpiodsu.
So you can download songs to a PC but not a phone? That really diminishes some of the very cool features on this phone. Where do you buy your music from to avoid this problem?

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Hmm, I was told it was due to piracy issues. I knew you couldn't transfer songs on your device from google music to the stock player or a SD card.

It could be for privacy reasons but on your PC any music you buy on play music can be downloaded. Already done it several times. Even when you set up music manager it askes you if you want to auto download music to your computer to sync with iTunes.

EDIT: Says songs can be downloaded twice Download music from your library - Google Play Help.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks scorpiodsu.
So you can download songs to a PC but not a phone? That really diminishes some of the very cool features on this phone. Where do you buy your music from to avoid this problem?

Honestly, I used some of the free music apps in the play store and download music for free. I still manage my music in iTunes so any music I purchase there I just sync it with my phone. But again, I get most music for free to avoid having to sync. I would think with Amazon MP3, it wouldn't be like google music, so maybe try that?

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
If you download songs to your computer from the Google web player you can only do it twice. If you download them to your computer through the Google Play Music Manager then the 2-time limit does not apply. The same holds true for downloading them to your phone - there is no limit to the number of times you can put them on there using the Google music player. The issue is that Google downloads them to a hidden directory so that you can't find them and no other music player can see them. I don't really understand the rationale behind this, but it is what it is. The easy workaround is to have everything on your computer and then transfer them to your device through Windows or Mac or through HTC Sync Manager. This way the songs are put into an easily accessible directory. The option to stream everything is always available as well, but I like to have physical copies of everything as well as having copies of everything in the cloud.

yapkuen

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Thanks scorpiodsu.

I buy all my music from Amazon MP3, though they are not without their share of glitches as well (recently I've been unable to play the cloud versions of many songs I purchased in 2009 and earlier, and the only resolution they could come up with was for me to call them with a list of every file that's not playing so they could re-load the files into my Cloud account, which is absurd).

ALWRXY

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
So all my music I've paid for in other words I can't use on my original beats boomsound player? That is crap. I had to download play music which then I'll get charged another $10 a month extra to listen to songs I've purchased I may as well go back to the I phones I never had this problem with them. Oh and for like my first few I paid for they went on to my player but not no more?

hodan

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site

You're way off. Head on back to iMore.

hodan

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
So all my music I've paid for in other words I can't use on my original beats boomsound player? That is crap. I had to download play music which then I'll get charged another $10 a month extra to listen to songs I've purchased I may as well go back to the I phones I never had this problem with them. Oh and for like my first few I paid for they went on to my player but not no more?

Read BigDinCA's post above. You can download purchased music from Google Music and do whatever you want with it.

monkmullen

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
I ran into this issue too when I first got my One.

I bought two albums from the Play store and only after hat did I realize I could only play them on. The Google Play Music app. That wasn't a problem until the app stated glitching big time during playback, even with cached songs.

So I just used the Google Play on my PC to download the music into my computer, then used the HTC manager to get those songs directly onto my One.

Now I use Amazon MP3 to get my music (can download songs directly onto phone) , and avoid any cloud based services altogether. I'm sure some out there are fine, but my experience with the Google Play Music app left a real bad taste in my mouth.

Posted via Android Central App

monkmullen

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Also, the stock music player works fine after that (don't have to use Google Play Music), but in went ahead and got Power Amp, which is miles better, in my opinion.

Posted via Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo