Anyone had luck getting AT&T to drop the exchange restock fee?

brnc

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
So, I have an S4, and it's Ok, but coming from an iPhone 5, the S4 seems super leggy. I played with an HTC One in the store today, and not only does the OS seem much cleaner, but the phone seems a lot snappier too. I know there's a $35 restocking fee for returns, but when I asked if I could exchange they said the 35 fee is still there. I called AT&T directly and they confirmed. :(

Makes no sense to me, since they're still getting the contract out of me. Anyone know any magic words or had any personal luck getting this fee removed? If they won't I'll just pay the fee and return it, then go to best buy instead.

aokusman1

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Restocking has nothing to do with the contract. I think it's bull****. My friend got the iPhone 3gs free on contract, a week later he realised it was crap and returned it. He had to pay $35 restocking fee on a phone that was free.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Paying a restocking fee on a free phone is crazy. But of course we understand why they do it. Anyhow, the only want you may be able to get them to swap it for you without a fee is if you really let them know you're having problems with the phone. They may help you out there. If not, consider the 35 bucks a rental fee lol.

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums

SteveISU

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
They also have to ship the S4 back to Sammy for them to make it a refurb. You also temporarily reduced their stock by one S4 that they can sell.

brnc

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I agree it's technically fair for them to charge it due to costs incurred. However, when the competition (Best Buy) has no such fee, it just makes them look bad. I'll pay it and consider it a cheap lesson learned: don't buy from the ATT store.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If people didn't abuse the return system we wouldn't have to pay it. Too bad people have to buy and return phones to see which they like best. Ruins it for the rest of us

bosshaug12

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
So, I have an S4, and it's Ok, but coming from an iPhone 5, the S4 seems super leggy. I played with an HTC One in the store today, and not only does the OS seem much cleaner, but the phone seems a lot snappier too. I know there's a $35 restocking fee for returns, but when I asked if I could exchange they said the 35 fee is still there. I called AT&T directly and they confirmed. :(

Makes no sense to me, since they're still getting the contract out of me. Anyone know any magic words or had any personal luck getting this fee removed? If they won't I'll just pay the fee and return it, then go to best buy instead.

Strange. Ive had my One exchanged two times now and no restocking fee either time. Walked out with a new phone each time at zero cost to me.
Are you going to a corporate store?

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Is buying a phone and then deciding you don't like it abusing the system?

No. But there are costs associated with returning used devices that, because of those that have abused it, att is no longer willing to swallow.

Awake

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
If you're not a corporate customer they will charge you the restocking fee, that is the case with Sprint. Not sure about other carriers. I'd imagine it's the same policy.

accatx

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Consider yourself lucky that America is still so incredibly customer-friendly. Most places outside the US are much much tougher on returns, and more often than not will not accept a return on anything other than a completely unopened and resellable product.

My guess is that it won't be long before many US retailers will be forced to start charging restocking fees too.

I bought my S4 from the AT&T store because I really like a couple of the knowledgeable folks there but my wife's next phone will come from BBY because she will, being a woman, most likely change her mind and change phones after 24hrs because she can't hack how Samsung have out-innovated the crap out of Apple and be one of the rare breed that switch back from a new generation smartphone to a paltry iPhone 5 :)

obnpolo

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Strange. Ive had my One exchanged two times now and no restocking fee either time. Walked out with a new phone each time at zero cost to me.
Are you going to a corporate store?

They won't charge you if you're exchanging out for the same phone. I've exchanged and am on my fourth HTC one. They only do it if you're changing to a different phone.

luvsmobile

Luvzmobile
Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
Is quite a simple explanation "Abuse". For years I watched customers buy the cheaper phone on Monday knowing that when they get paid Friday, just pay the difference. That's just one example of how the system was abused. Abuse is the reason for the higher deductibles for insurance replacements.
Not saying I necessarily agree with it but it's big business and the carriers are in it for profit not loss. Since they all do it what can you do. As far as best buy goes, I would imagine mobile is used as a door buster to get you in there to put customers in front of the many other products and services that make them money. The carriers lose money on all fronts when selling phones. It's all about the balance sheet.

Posted via Android Central App

rudy1986

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
That's why I always go to best buy. I had the same issue with the note 2. I exchanged it for another phone and they didn't charge me restocking fee.

Posted via Android Central App

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Cheer up, what's $35 when you only sign a Two Year Contract (vs Three) and have the option of Unlimited Data (6GB).

Up we have 30 Minutes or 14 Days to return it but I'll gladly give it up.

Anyways..

As for the fee, have you tried call AT&T customer service? It was the first and last time I deal with a Bell Store, I was in the area so pre-ordered the S4 but when I picked up they charged my $35 for Processing Fee. I called Bell up and explained how ridiculous it was and they credited my account.

Brandon Neer

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
My wife got a job at a hospital that provided a discount on our ATT bill. The account was in my name so we had to switch it to her name. They charged me $18 twice for switching account holder names on two phone lines. They only have this charge in the store. If you switch names online its free.

Needless to say I called and complained until they credited my account back. I'm sure you could do the same with this. They're usually good about seeing it your way if you're persuasive enough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy