Voice Control on the One

DioramaMaker

May 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm eager as can be to finally ditch my iPhone 4 and go to Android. Love it on my Asus Transformer Infinity 700 and can't wait to have it with me on the go. I don't know the ins and outs as well as I should, but I'm hoping to change that soon. That being said I'm in the same S4 vs. One debate as a lot of people (Though quite frankly the One was my first choice till the S4 was officially revealed), so I know all the arguments and sides being taken, and that's exactly what I'd like to avoid here, and just get capability knowledge. :)

That being said, as the thread title implies, how much voice control is available on the One? Of course I get the features of Google Now, but how does that extend into the phone's ecosystem? Does Google Now work for voice texting and hands free calling? If not is there a good supplement? Thanks guys!

Led Zappa

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Voice texting etc... etc... etc... Every time I clicked the voice on google last night and said "Warriors" it gave me the current score. Watching Hockey instead. Love it.

DioramaMaker

May 2, 2013
Visit site
That doesn't look too bad. It's a bit "robotic" compared to some of the other voice assistants out there, and the lack of integration might be a bit of a pain, but if you set it up before driving it shouldn't be too big an issue. I also like that is was from early 2012...perhaps it's improved in a year? Only adndroid device is a wifi Transformer Infinity, so testing it can't be on my end, for now. But I like the looks of it so far.

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, the voice is better now and is male instead of female. Based on my initial use it does a good job of identifying my contacts correctly. When it speaks them back, it sometimes mis pronounces but gets the right contact anyway. Quite smooth actually.

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
regarding Sonalight Text by Voice

Yeah, the voice is better now and is male instead of female. Based on my initial use it does a good job of identifying my contacts correctly. When it speaks them back, it sometimes mis pronounces but gets the right contact anyway. Quite smooth actually.

This app does work with google voice to send texts, which is the only one I have found that will do this, but it doesn't read or display texts recieved to your google voice number. Their web site indicates they are working on this but who knows if it will ever happen.

Hush Martin

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Use the HTC car app. If you don't "have" it, use the quick shortcut creator app to make a shortcut to it. The app is on the phone, just hidden. The car app does all the texting by voice stuff you could want.

Awake

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
After you press and hold the Home button to bring up Google Now say "Google". The voice control will now be activated. In my opinion it works really well.

Awake

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
I just read some info about Dragon. Looks pretty cool, but the description said that it is always on. What does that do to your battery life?

There is an option to toggle on the listen feature or you can keep it off, the problem I've found when the phone connects to your cars Bluetooth it will toggle on the listen feature. It is a huge battery drain.

DioramaMaker

May 2, 2013
Visit site
regarding Sonalight Text by Voice

This app does work with google voice to send texts, which is the only one I have found that will do this, but it doesn't read or display texts recieved to your google voice number. Their web site indicates they are working on this but who knows if it will ever happen.

I'm new to texting on android (not android itself - Tablet), is a Google voice number akin to iMessage? Or do you assign your own number to Google?

This app is making google search not respond, for me anyways.

Strike against I suppose.

Use the HTC car app. If you don't "have" it, use the quick shortcut creator app to make a shortcut to it. The app is on the phone, just hidden. The car app does all the texting by voice stuff you could want.

Thank you! I was unaware this existed, my only time with the phone has been in store so far, in fact, I didn't even know HTC had a driving assistant. How is it? Is the functionality solid and non-buggy?

Dragon Assistant is awesome, from Nuance, the makers of Swype, it's new.
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s?id=com.nuance.balerion&hl=en&token=apeD8VFC

Downloading it to my Transformer Infinity Tablet. Wanna mess with it a bit.

After you press and hold the Home button to bring up Google Now say "Google". The voice control will now be activated. In my opinion it works really well.

And this works for text messages? Like I said, I've been using my tablet's Google now and I find it only to work with Google search, I can't find how to get it to work with device functionality itself. Maybe I'm just doing it wrong...never too late to learn! :)

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm eager as can be to finally ditch my iPhone 4 and go to Android. Love it on my Asus Transformer Infinity 700 and can't wait to have it with me on the go. I don't know the ins and outs as well as I should, but I'm hoping to change that soon. That being said I'm in the same S4 vs. One debate as a lot of people (Though quite frankly the One was my first choice till the S4 was officially revealed), so I know all the arguments and sides being taken, and that's exactly what I'd like to avoid here, and just get capability knowledge. :)

That being said, as the thread title implies, how much voice control is available on the One? Of course I get the features of Google Now, but how does that extend into the phone's ecosystem? Does Google Now work for voice texting and hands free calling? If not is there a good supplement? Thanks guys!

Be prepared. The One makes the Infinity feel painfully slow.