Why does Facebook lag?

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Because their Android app is basically a poorly done, crappy port of their iPhone app that wasn't properly optimized for Android.

Jakiro201

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
That's the only thing I hate about Android. Apps and games are often ported from iOS or poorly developed. Guess I need an iPad for playing games in the future.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
That's the only thing I hate about Android. Apps and games are often ported from iOS or poorly developed. Guess I need an iPad for playing games in the future.

I've found that the great majority of games and apps, even if they are ports, are done properly. Its the few, big name, lazy developers that are pains. Facebook is among them. Mini Golf Match Up was terribly ported to Android, to the point I had to stop playing it even though I really enjoyed it because it simply crashed too often, took too long to load, and slowed my phone down too much when it ran in the background. Then you get apps like Candy Crush Saga, Cut The Rope, and Draw Something that are excellent ports. They may not follow Google's "Holo" design language, but they are fast, smooth and stable.

Jakiro201

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
I've found that the great majority of games and apps, even if they are ports, are done properly. Its the few, big name, lazy developers that are pains. Facebook is among them. Mini Golf Match Up was terribly ported to Android, to the point I had to stop playing it even though I really enjoyed it because it simply crashed too often, took too long to load, and slowed my phone down too much when it ran in the background. Then you get apps like Candy Crush Saga, Cut The Rope, and Draw Something that are excellent ports. They may not follow Google's "Holo" design language, but they are fast, smooth and stable.

Well I think Google have to work harder to attract more developers to Android. Lots of games and apps that I used to enjoy on iOS like Bastion and Manga Rock are not available nor they're planned to be written for Android.

bandityo

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
I have iphone5 and waiting no a ONE to arrive...but I really have noticed facebook lagging on the iphone...maybe its a faceook issue?

gtg465x

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
If you see a three dot menu bar at the bottom of the screen in an app, chances are the app is very poorly written by a developer who has no clue what they're doing, so you shouldn't be surprised if it lags. In general, avoid apps that show that bar if at all possible.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Well I think Google have to work harder to attract more developers to Android. Lots of games and apps that I used to enjoy on iOS like Bastion and Manga Rock are not available nor they're planned to be written for Android.

I don't think its so much a Google issue as a customer issue. People spend more money for apps on iOS than on Android. Google can't do anything to change that. If you want more quality apps, convince people to do their part by clicking on ads once in a while, not running ad blockers, and throwing developers a few bucks on a pro/upgraded/ad free version of apps they like and use. The last number I heard was that iOS users spend about 2.8x as much on apps as Android users. I generally buy at least one app a month, drop a few more dollars on in app purchases, and click through on ads once or twice a day. It helps attract quality apps.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Actually it's a 2.6x on Q1 2013. But the gap is narrowing. On Q4 2012 it was 4x. The prediction is that by the end of the year, Android will surpass iOS store on revenue.

App Annie Index: Market Report Q1 2013 - iOS App Store revenue 2.6x that of Google Play - App Annie Blog

My bad, 2.6 is what I had heard (was listening to a podcast while driving this morning). And yes it is narrowing, and yes it is projected to surpass iOS. Once that happens, it will make sense for developers to go Android first. I think we should all do our part to make that happen ASAP.

Tiago Silva

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
My bad, 2.6 is what I had heard (was listening to a podcast while driving this morning). And yes it is narrowing, and yes it is projected to surpass iOS. Once that happens, it will make sense for developers to go Android first. I think we should all do our part to make that happen ASAP.

Android users spend less then iOS mainly because Android users usually buy cheap phones and have less money. Of course there are exceptions like One and S4 users, but the truth is there is a lot of people dad's and people who have cheap Android who only use the phone to call and maybe using Facebook and that's it. The thing is it's not that these Android people will suddenly start to pay more, but it's so much more people having Android phones than iOS and even more, that even spending less money, the Google Store will give more revenue to developers. I also think changes wont be instantly visible, when Google surpasse iOS in revenue. I guess it will happen strongly in maybe two-four years when Android has positive racio of 2-4x of iOS.

Tiago Silva

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Also one reason is that piracy dont help. It's easier to piracy apps on Android, no need to jailbreak, just install download piracy apps from torrents. And fragmentation doesn't help either. It's more difficult to ensure the same app works for the entire universe of Android then iOS.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Also one reason is that piracy dont help. It's easier to piracy apps on Android, no need to jailbreak, just install download piracy apps from torrents. And fragmentation doesn't help either. It's more difficult to ensure the same app works for the entire universe of Android then iOS.

U really sound like a fanboy wit all this misinformation u are spitting out smh. U apple heads only enjoy a new phone once every year and its always the same ole same ole maybe wit one or two new things android had for AGES lol. Meanwhile Samsung and HTC are innovating every year wit all new headsets.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.2 using Tapatalk 2

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I agree it won't be instant, but I don't think it will take more than 2 years. The point about cheap phones is also true, but I think we are going to see a shift in that. I think more cheap phones (maybe not in the US, but in the rest of the world), will shift more towards Windows Phone from Android because Windows Phone runs better on low end hardware than Android does. Its not as heavy an OS so it provides a better user experience on cheap hardware, and MS is already seeing high uptake in countries where the low end market is essentially the entire market. Piracy will remain a big concern and the only real way to combat it is through always connected apps that check a software ID # against your devices IMEI or some other unique ID. Its not a perfect system, but it could slow down piracy.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
I am just hoping that facebook get's it together and update their app to support the holo guidelines, particularly overflow ... I am so tired of the 3 dots.

go3go

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
facebook used to be awful on ios too until recently. Mine used to crash regularly, or freeze for long periods of time.

Tiago Silva

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
U really sound like a fanboy wit all this misinformation u are spitting out smh. U apple heads only enjoy a new phone once every year and its always the same ole same ole maybe wit one or two new things android had for AGES lol. Meanwhile Samsung and HTC are innovating every year wit all new headsets.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.2 using Tapatalk 2

lol... i am definitly not an Apple fanboy. I am a WP recently converted to Android. Just because i like more of Android that doesn't mean i think everythink is perfect with Android. Piracy is a problem from the developer perspective. Also just check fragmentation on google play reviews of apps. There are people complaing that some app dont work on their device and others on the same app saying the app is 5* on their other device.

I prefer Android for the openess and customization. That alone it's better to me then all the iOS closed environment.

XavierMatt

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
They so call themselves redoing the app in Native code. I felt the improvement but it still sucks. I think they need to start from scratch and follow the android design guidelines (as much as I hate saying that). It's sad that Facebook home runs smoother than the Facebook app.

Posted via Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabrieldavis