Cracked Screen =/

bigtnew

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys, so I cracked my screen yesterday when my phone fell about 3 feet onto a gravel parking lot in a bumper case. The crack isn't bad it goes diagonally from top corner... I was crushed when it happened but life goes on. The phone still works but the main reason I got it was because it's so damn sexy. Oh well so my question is in time do you think HTC will be able to replace the screen, or a 3rd party repair shop. I wouldn't want to spend more than like 150ish. I think that's probably unreasonable. I can live with the phone as is. I ordered a matte screen protector from amazon that should be here next week. Hopefully this will hide the crack even just a little bit. I know I should have got insurance but I didn't so maybe in another 2 years I will. It's funny my Inspire held up 2 years 100s of falls and not a scratch! I'm talking falls way worse than what happened to my one. Kinda disappointed but can really only blame myself. So, really what am I looking at for a repair cost, if it's possible.

mcpricex

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
Initial reports are that the One is a female canine to repair, so if you do manage to find someone willing to take the job on, it might not be far off the price of a new phone.

You can drop a phone a hundred times without a scratch but it only takes one odd angle to do the damage.

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
That is why I don't use a case. I feel like I am more careful without one, and if you have one it can still break if dropped.

Sorry to hear about your luck though.

aokusman1

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys, so I cracked my screen yesterday when my phone fell about 3 feet onto a gravel parking lot in a bumper case. The crack isn't bad it goes diagonally from top corner... I was crushed when it happened but life goes on. The phone still works but the main reason I got it was because it's so damn sexy. Oh well so my question is in time do you think HTC will be able to replace the screen, or a 3rd party repair shop. I wouldn't want to spend more than like 150ish. I think that's probably unreasonable. I can live with the phone as is. I ordered a matte screen protector from amazon that should be here next week. Hopefully this will hide the crack even just a little bit. I know I should have got insurance but I didn't so maybe in another 2 years I will. It's funny my Inspire held up 2 years 100s of falls and not a scratch! I'm talking falls way worse than what happened to my one. Kinda disappointed but can really only blame myself. So, really what am I looking at for a repair cost, if it's possible.

The cost at this point will be way more than ,$150. You can still add insurance if you are on Att.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

bigtnew

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I got the phone at bestbuy. They wouldn't let me get the insurance after the fact. Would it be possible to get it from att even though the damage is already there?

bosshaug12

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
If you have a broken screen I would recommend contacting HTC for repair.
Working at a repair shop and having seen the ifixit teardown of the One, I can say that a repair shop would be utterly stupid for taking in your device for repair. Ive checked and the B Stock digitizer/lcd assembly is available but if repair shop were to try repair it I would think they would break it or do a really bad job, which would be bad for you since they might not replace the device if broken.

Just go through HTC, trust me.

bigtnew

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
As long as you purchased it within 30 days - shouldn't be a problem. And you don't have to get it from AT&T (their deductibles are pretty expensive), you can get it from SquareTrade, online.
They won't care if I immediately made a claim after filing for insurance. I've only had the phone for 15 days. Wouldn't that be suspect. I'm not trying to be shady wanna keep it all on the up n up. So it's possible to get insurance on a broken screen after the damage has occurred before 30 days have passed? Could I walk into an att store with the phone and have them work with me?

I'm just gonna live with the hairline crack as it doesn't seem legit to get the insurance now. I wasn't looking to commit any kind of fraud just was hoping maybe for a loophole or something. Squaretrade seems like it would be a viable option with the 125 upfront and then 99 dollar deductible. I just want to keep it all legal.

Last edited:

aokusman1

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Get the insurance from Att. Wait a week or to and file a claim. If you want you can say it's lost so as not to return the phone.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

clborden

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I did the same thing. I fell asleep on my couch, it slipped out of my pocket, onto the couch, then once I got up, onto the floor. Maybe a 15-18 inch drop? Anyway, it looked like a scratch, but there wasn't anything there that could've scratched it. Then I realized what it was...AT&T told me that HTC would not warranty the glass, but would fix it for $100. That's not too bad...it's actually cheaper than the deductible Asurion would charge you if you had used the insurance.

bigtnew

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I did the same thing. I fell asleep on my couch, it slipped out of my pocket, onto the couch, then once I got up, onto the floor. Maybe a 15-18 inch drop? Anyway, it looked like a scratch, but there wasn't anything there that could've scratched it. Then I realized what it was...AT&T told me that HTC would not warranty the glass, but would fix it for $100. That's not too bad...it's actually cheaper than the deductible Asurion would charge you if you had used the insurance.

I would totally get my screen fixed for 100 bucks. So you're saying I'd have to send it to HTC or is Att fixing it? Seems like 100 dollars is too good to be true.

Posted via Android Central App

Gothamoddisee

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Having scoured these boards (and others), I've found Worth Ave Group to be the best insurance deal for a 3rd party phone manufacturer that is well rated by the Better Business Bureau. You don't have to have to insure the phone immediately upon purchase with Worth Ave. and the deductibles are $50. When I signed up, my phone was in pristine condition so I didn't pay special attention to any clause about prior damage - but it's likely the same for all insurance carriers; when you file the claim you will be asked to provide the date of the "loss" you are seeking to address. Since this crack doesn't seem to bother you very much, here's a scenario that gets you a sparkling One and keeps you on the up-and-up:

1. Get insurance immediately
  2. Wait till another more pressing bit of damage occurs
  3. File a claim

That way you can honestly file a claim for damage resulting in a fixed (or more likely NEW phone), without approaching that Red Line of Moral Decay.

I would totally get my screen fixed for 100 bucks. So you're saying I'd have to send it to HTC or is Att fixing it? Seems like 100 dollars is too good to be true.

Posted via Android Central App