Installing Titanium Backup on Developer edition of HTC One

rgfcpq

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
I am looking to install Titanium Backup on the Developer edition and thought it would be straightforward. Unfortunately, it's saying the phone isn't rooted. I was thinking it would have been, but apparently that is not the case. I have gone through a number of threads on rooting the HTC One, but none seem to call out what to do uniquely with the Developer edition. Any help is appreciated -- this is my first android phone and I am getting all this sorted out for the first time.

Thanks,
Ray

mysterygirl

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I think you're mistaking root access for an unlocked bootloader. They are different, with the DE having an unlocked bootloader.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

rgfcpq

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
I think you're mistaking root access for an unlocked bootloader. They are different, with the DE having an unlocked bootloader.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

I guess you're right. But I thought a "developer edition" of a fun would have been ready for mods. Thanks

rgfcpq

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Check out my thread. It has the info and takes you to the links where you can flash recovery and root. Since you're already unlocked this flash custom recovery via the toolkit or manual process and then flash root.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=275194

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums

Thanks for the reply and offer of help here. This is WAY more confusing sounding than it probably is, given my newness to Android. All I am trying to do is have root access to the phone to enable Titanium backup and have flexibility to make other changes down the road. What it appears I am doing, if I understand the instructions, is re-flashing the rom with 1 of 3 different non-stock roms -- is that correct? If that is indeed the case, will I get OTA updates applied as HTC releases them for my Developer Edition phone?

With this in mind, your instructions are still a bit confusing to me. You suggest there are 2 ways to do the rooting, but then you say "I?ve actually used the one click tool to flash recovery and then finished up with the manual method to flash root as this was the only way it worked for me." I am not sure how to interpret this and what it means if I choose one of the methods and it fails -- I am not experienced like you are. Assuming I clear this hurdle, which of the 3 roms do I pick -- I just want the core experience with as few "glitches" as possible and continued OTA updates?

Lastly, this thread at [TOOL] HTC One (M7) All-In-One Toolkit V1.2 [4-11-2013] [PERM ROOT][Noob-Proof] - xda-developers also suggests folks are having a lot of problems doing all this, which makes me even less inclined to attempt this now.

Any simple way to do this would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Ray

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the reply and offer of help here. This is WAY more confusing sounding than it probably is, given my newness to Android. All I am trying to do is have root access to the phone to enable Titanium backup and have flexibility to make other changes down the road. What it appears I am doing, if I understand the instructions, is re-flashing the rom with 1 of 3 different non-stock roms -- is that correct? If that is indeed the case, will I get OTA updates applied as HTC releases them for my Developer Edition phone?

With this in mind, your instructions are still a bit confusing to me. You suggest there are 2 ways to do the rooting, but then you say "I?ve actually used the one click tool to flash recovery and then finished up with the manual method to flash root as this was the only way it worked for me." I am not sure how to interpret this and what it means if I choose one of the methods and it fails -- I am not experienced like you are. Assuming I clear this hurdle, which of the 3 roms do I pick -- I just want the core experience with as few "glitches" as possible and continued OTA updates?

Lastly, this thread at [TOOL] HTC One (M7) All-In-One Toolkit V1.2 [4-11-2013] [PERM ROOT][Noob-Proof] - xda-developers also suggests folks are having a lot of problems doing all this, which makes me even less inclined to attempt this now.

Any simple way to do this would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Ray

Well since I'm pretty experienced with rooting, once I got custom recovery I didn't need the tool to root my phone because from there I know how to do it myself. You are already unlocked so all you need to do is flash custom recovery then root. Stop worrying about ROMs they are a non factor for what you need. You can do it with the tool or follow the manual instructions. Then you flash root, again you can do it with the tool or follow the manual instructions. And users may have problems that relate to not having the drivers installed, different firmware versions or whatever. That doesn't mean it won't work for you because a lot of people have used it successfully including myself. So try not to overcompicate it. You need to work on getting custom recovery on your phone and the tool worked perfectly for me. So I would say to actually try them following the instructions closely.

Also I suggest you read my other thread for basic info. This will help understand what all this stuff means which will help make those threads make sense to you. Good luck.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=275160

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781