What is causing this email alert sound?

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
I'm starting to get really frustrated with this issue and I'm hoping someone can help. I use Enhanced Email as my mail client and I have all accounts configured to have a "silent" ringtone for alerts. Yet whenever I get an email when my entire phone isn't silenced there's a little "bong" notification sound. It's killing me to have that going on every few minutes. I don't have any accounts configured in the stock Mail client have disabled mail syncing in the Gmail app. Anyone have any advice?

Jaguarr40

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
Do you have 'Silent' configured in this 3rd party app with everything else in every email client either not configured and or turned off? i am only asking for clarity. If so it sounds like you have push email on in this client if you are getting the notification every few mins. Have you considered setting that to manual and maybe it will go away.

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Do you have 'Silent' configured in this 3rd party app with everything else in every email client either not configured and or turned off?
That is correct.

If so it sounds like you have push email on in this client if you are getting the notification every few mins. Have you considered setting that to manual and maybe it will go away.
I guess that's an option, thought I really need to see my most recent emails on my lockscreen. I just don't need to be alerted every time one comes in.

Jaguarr40

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
That is correct.

I guess that's an option, thought I really need to see my most recent emails on my lockscreen. I just don't need to be alerted every time one comes in.

Set it that way, I have mine set that way with the native client and when it gets too much I put in on full manual.

Jaguarr40

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
OK then do this since you know you have NO other email configured in any other program native or gmail.... Indulge me... Delete the 3rd party app and reinstall it setting it up as POP and try that. If you still get the sound you can always go back to IMAP. You can keep it undeleted, Set up gmail or your native app really with your personal email to check it to maybe isolate the problem. Good luck.

mballs4life

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
I was having a similar issue with certain apps on my phone, not sure if it's a bug or what. In the settings change the notification sound to silent and in your email account change the sound to default ringtone instead of silent. This worked for me so hopefully it does for you!

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
I was having a similar issue with certain apps on my phone, not sure if it's a bug or what. In the settings change the notification sound to silent and in your email account change the sound to default ringtone instead of silent. This worked for me so hopefully it does for you!
Interesting option, except that I do want to be alerted to SMS. Wouldn't this make the SMS notification silent as well? What makes this even more perplexing is that the alert sound I'm hearing isn't one of the ones that came preinstalled. I have no idea what it is.

mballs4life

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
Interesting option, except that I do want to be alerted to SMS. Wouldn't this make the SMS notification silent as well? What makes this even more perplexing is that the alert sound I'm hearing isn't one of the ones that came preinstalled. I have no idea what it is.

Hmmmm got me there lol. Still try it out and see what happens. And you can still be notified of text as long as you change the sound in the message settings to whichever ring you like.

holz75

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
i'm having the same problem with hotmail! whatever i try, hotmail always gives me that same sound even though I set it to silent! i'm going to try setting my default ringtone to silent, and then setting messages to have its own sound.

holz75

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
well, setting my default notification to silent definitely got rid of the "bong" notification! i just have to go into messages and set up an individual sound.

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
i'm having the same problem with hotmail! whatever i try, hotmail always gives me that same sound even though I set it to silent! i'm going to try setting my default ringtone to silent, and then setting messages to have its own sound.

Please post back here with your results.

TimmyB

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Hey, adrian, sorry I'm late to join in here, but maybe can offer some help. We (my wife and I) just picked up our One's on Friday night. Yesterday (Sunday), my wife's phone made a loud chime and buzz. She said that it had been doing that all day, even though she had no notifications showing, and she had silenced her ringer. When I looked at the app called "Missed Call Reminder", I found that it was still trying to tell her about an SMS message that she knew had come in, and cleared the notification, but had not actually gone to the message itself. When I cleared that off, the annoying sound cleared. Is there any chance that THIS is the sound you are hearing? Just a thought, hope it helps. Good luck!

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
I wish it was. The alert is definitely associated with email delivery. I'm going to run some tests tonight to see if different accounts act differently.

holz75

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
hey! did you see my previous comment? i set my default notification to silent and then individually set notifications for each message or email program. that helped get rid of the "bong" sound that hotmail was giving me.

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
hey! did you see my previous comment? i set my default notification to silent and then individually set notifications for each message or email program. that helped get rid of the "bong" sound that hotmail was giving me.

Ok I'm trying this now. I assume this will work, but I still want to figure this out.

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Tried this, didn't help. I'm probably going to end up resetting it to factory defaults and setting it all up again. Either that or throw it against a wall.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2