Help HTC One Camera Won't Focus

Demo3019

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Downloaded the BofA app & attempted to take a picture of a check to deposit online.

After attempting to focus on the text of the check a few times and taking the picture, which came out blurry every time, I gave up and closed the app and went about with other business.

Few hours later went to take a regular picture while outdoors and found that the camera would not "focus" even when changing the scene settings or pressing on the screen to manually define a focal point.

Thinking this was strange behavior, seeing as how I was able to take about 30 clear pictures while manually focusing before, went ahead and closed all apps, changed view modes, changed camera scenes, toggled from video to picture modes, restarted the phone several times and checked for available updates to the firmware. All with no luck.

Stuck now where the camera can?t be used at all because every picture/video is blurry.

aokusman1

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Haha I did this exact same thing with a check and my BOA app yesterday. I just tapped and it focused. The camera however looses focus more than any camera I have ever used, even when doing video.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

franko515

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
To the OP, when taking a picture of a check use macro mode or text mode (since you're fairly close to the object) it's in the settings under scene

To the second poster, make sure the option to lock focus in video mode is unchecked

I hope this helps you both ;)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Demo3019

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately it seems as though it's where "the damage is done". Reverted back to original mode (since that attempt last week) and even still it won't focus on objects/faces 2 feet from me.

Daniel Grint

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem. When I open the camera and attempt to take a picture of some text it'll focus for about 2 seconds then I'll hear a small click sound and the focus goes all blurry and it won't focus anymore. Other times it just won't focus at all.

I'm wondering if there's a problem with the focusing motor in the camera?

stiphy

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
My camera worked great for the first 14 days and then on day 15 it stopped focusing. Touching the screen would adjust the iris for lighting but not the focus.

I brought it back to Sprint today and the manager looked up the issue and said there was a known software glitch that gets it into this state and that he couldn't figure out a way to get it out of the state. He said he was advised that a software update would be coming that would prevent this state from happening. Not sure how accurate it is but the manager did replace my phone despite being 3 days past the 14 day exchange period without any hassel and the new one is working great.

I took an update immediately after getting the new phone that was released this weekend, not sure if a fix for this is in this update or if it will be in a future one. I hope that I have better luck with my new unit and the problem doesn't reappear.

Sean

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
My camera worked great for the first 14 days and then on day 15 it stopped focusing. Touching the screen would adjust the iris for lighting but not the focus.

I brought it back to Sprint today and the manager looked up the issue and said there was a known software glitch that gets it into this state and that he couldn't figure out a way to get it out of the state. He said he was advised that a software update would be coming that would prevent this state from happening. Not sure how accurate it is but the manager did replace my phone despite being 3 days past the 14 day exchange period without any hassel and the new one is working great.

I took an update immediately after getting the new phone that was released this weekend, not sure if a fix for this is in this update or if it will be in a future one. I hope that I have better luck with my new unit and the problem doesn't reappear.

Sean

Wouldn't that be covered well beyond the 14 day return period?

VaxPrime

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
Went for a drive taking snaps one afternoon about 2 weeks ago, worked really well, posted up to G+ feed on the fly, then suddenly after about 50 photos things became blurry, I noticed the HTC One was quite warm, and I assumed it was because of the battery drain, I let it cool by holding it in front of the aircon vent and after about 5 minutes it operated normally again, but then only for a short while, and it has never managed to autofocus since. I hope you guys find a solution, I am in Africa and not looking forward to being without my Mobile for any length of time waiting for repairs.

rabbat_amer

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
So after much research, apparently a lot of the new HTC cameras do not focus. A firmware defect/bug or what ever you call it.
Did you happen to find a solution ?

stiphy

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
So after much research, apparently a lot of the new HTC cameras do not focus. A firmware defect/bug or what ever you call it.
Did you happen to find a solution ?

Yes, unfortunately it was to get a replacement. I had to replace my initial one after 15 days. I then had to replace the second one about a month shy of it's 1 year warranty expiration. Sprint still charged me $75 to get the replacement which sucked but I wasn't going to complain too much as I live in the Virgin Islands and getting one shipped here from HTC would've been a nightmare (versus Sprint which let me keep my old one while the new one was on order and then swap them out when the new one came in a week later).

Sean

123pranish

Jan 22, 2017
Visit site
Re: Help HTC 728 Camera Won't Focus

My fone camera used to function well before..it used to focus on close up objects.last week I noticed my fone camera not focusing on close objects.I restarted my fone several times and even reset my camera setting. There is no difference noted.please help me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463