PLEASE HELP me: Issues with camera focusing in the dark

dandiele

May 30, 2012
Visit site
ok guys, I am on a mission to prove to HTC that this is not a case of crazy. I am having a real issue as well as my wifes phone and a few others on XDA. I apologize but I am going to paste a link to my thread on XDA and I am requesting that everyone PLEASE try this with there phones, and PLEASE contact HTC if this is happening to you.

PLEASE help me: Issues with camera focusing in the dark - xda-developers

I posted initially in the carrier related section (T-Mobile) but then today realized id have a better response in the non carrier related section. I am hoping that maybe even Phil will pick up on this and make it known world wide. HTC has been rude to me even after another guy wanted me to provide pictures. They say they have never heard of this issue, well ITS TIME FOR THAT TO CHANGE.

But briefly, My phone will not focus in the dark, like no light conditions. I understand most of us probably wont be taking pictures in the dark but we should be able to, and I have been able to in the past with other devices, and i've owned half a dozen android phones starting with the original droid. I'm now a t-mobile customer as of a few weekends ago and have the HTC one.

PLEASE let me know if your having this issue. Thank you so very much!!!

dandiele

May 30, 2012
Visit site
actually this is when i noticed it not working properly, however i take pictures of my dogs sometime in the dark, in funny sleeping position, at night camping and outdoors. i have never had a problem with other devices doing this. and like another guy said on XDA he tried to take a picture of a person in a life like costume at a movie theather ( i assume in the pitch black) and was not able to. the fact is we should be able to. I do understand this is nothing major to most of you but i have never had this issue on any other device. even my 400$ nikon digital camera has the red LED that lights up for this purpose, to enable auto focus in the dark or low light. The HTC one tries to but fails. and its like a what if thing, what if you ever needed to for an emergency situation? a security guard needs to document damage to something at night, I understand he'd have a flashlight but still. it should just work. every other phone has. :(

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
actually this is when i noticed it not working properly, however i take pictures of my dogs sometime in the dark, in funny sleeping position, at night camping and outdoors. i have never had a problem with other devices doing this. and like another guy said on XDA he tried to take a picture of a person in a life like costume at a movie theather ( i assume in the pitch black) and was not able to. the fact is we should be able to. I do understand this is nothing major to most of you but i have never had this issue on any other device. even my 400$ nikon digital camera has the red LED that lights up for this purpose, to enable auto focus in the dark or low light. The HTC one tries to but fails. and its like a what if thing, what if you ever needed to for an emergency situation? a security guard needs to document damage to something at night, I understand he'd have a flashlight but still. it should just work. every other phone has. :(

I would definitely take it back, if I were you. Just use you nikon for calls and texts.

dandiele

May 30, 2012
Visit site
I guess if you enjoy having faulty devices, thats fine. I am just going to exchange it for the S4. even today after talking to HTC about there keyboard while using the facebook app in landscape they acknowledged that there was infact an issue that I brought to there attention, that they never knew existed and thanked me for letting them know. Said they would not have know for a few months had I not called them. Have fun being there beta tester .

JRLasVegas

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I guess if you enjoy having faulty devices, thats fine. I am just going to exchange it for the S4. even today after talking to HTC about there keyboard while using the facebook app in landscape they acknowledged that there was infact an issue that I brought to there attention, that they never knew existed and thanked me for letting them know. Said they would not have know for a few months had I not called them. Have fun being there beta tester .

Must be user error, reset your device to factory settings. Mine is working fine, and about the landscape keyboard I have the same issue in Facebook, but new phones always have some issue. I am sure in the next update they will resolve the issue. Did you happen to notice that autospelling still spells it correctly?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Hush Martin

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
If you are using flash, use the regular camera mode. If you are using the camera in the dark (less than one candle's worth of light) you can use "night mode" with no flash and it will work-- but the camera speed will be MUCH slower and you have to let it take time to focus. Otherwise, use regular camera mode in low (but not dark) light conditions, i.e. a bar, movie theater. This is straight from my friend who works at ATT. A lot of people try to use night mode in low light and then get frustrated because it doesn't work like they expect.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Most modern camera sensors use active or passive autofocus methods which rely on contrast or phase detection. These methods are increasingly inaccurate as the amount of incoming light decreases, meaning that in low-light situations you need either a significantly more advanced sensor and autofocus processor or need to allow more time for the camera to focus properly. Whether or not your device is defective, you'll need to be patient when trying to take decent photos in the dark with a smartphone.

Here's a basic rundown of standard autofocus techniques on modern camera systems:

1. The autofocus processor reads the autofocus sensor and gauges the focus level.
  2. The autofocus processor makes a relatively minor change in the focusing distance.
  3. The autofocus processor again reads the autofocus sensor and analyzes the change in focus.
  4. The autofocus processor sets the lens to a closer or father autofocus distance based on the change in focus measured in step 3.
  5. Steps 2-4 are repeated until an acceptable level of focus is attained, otherwise focusing fails and you may end up with the 'focus hunting' behavior.

Not all compact camera systems (such as those in smartphones) work in precisely the same manner, but the underlying principles are the same.

The three most significant factors that affect focusing are the amount of light hitting the sensor, the contrast level of the subject on which you wish to focus, and camera or subject motion. Most people understand that. Here's what many don't get: these three factors are independent of each other. An autofocus system can still properly autofocus in low-light conditions if the subject has very high contrast, especially if the subject and camera remain relatively motionless. Rndomuser's comment about a glowing alarm clock screen is a good example of a subject with extremely high contrast, but the concept still applies if you don't have something nearby that is actively emitting comparatively bright light. Focus your phone's camera at the defined edge of an object, such as a table or someone wearing a white shirt. You'll have much better luck focusing in the dark if you do so.

If you can't get your One to focus properly in low-light situations, try doing some tests with high- and low-contrast subjects to see at what point it fails. When doing this, keep the phone and subject still. As pointed out above, it's hard to help if we can't tell at what light levels you're encountering problems. Furthermore, I know that the One's camera sensors have a unique hardware setup. I'm not as familiar with the intricacies as I'd like to be (and that will change when I get my hands on one), but it's possible that the One may have different low-light behavior than what you've experienced on phones in the past.

tdkirk7

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
ok guys, I am on a mission to prove to HTC that this is not a case of crazy. I am having a real issue as well as my wifes phone and a few others on XDA. I apologize but I am going to paste a link to my thread on XDA and I am requesting that everyone PLEASE try this with there phones, and PLEASE contact HTC if this is happening to you.

PLEASE help me: Issues with camera focusing in the dark - xda-developers

I posted initially in the carrier related section (T-Mobile) but then today realized id have a better response in the non carrier related section. I am hoping that maybe even Phil will pick up on this and make it known world wide. HTC has been rude to me even after another guy wanted me to provide pictures. They say they have never heard of this issue, well ITS TIME FOR THAT TO CHANGE.

But briefly, My phone will not focus in the dark, like no light conditions. I understand most of us probably wont be taking pictures in the dark but we should be able to, and I have been able to in the past with other devices, and i've owned half a dozen android phones starting with the original droid. I'm now a t-mobile customer as of a few weekends ago and have the HTC one.

PLEASE let me know if your having this issue. Thank you so very much!!!

I have noticed this too and thought maybe it was mine that was messed up. Guess its just the way the camera is... That sucks but coming from having the Samsung Galaxy S4 having a jacked up screen in low light situations I am not sure if its such a big deal that I want to return it... :/ But glad to know I am not the only one who found it odd and annoying.

dandiele

May 30, 2012
Visit site
I noticed along with HTC noticed that trace keyboard works just fine.
Must be user error, reset your device to factory settings. Mine is working fine, and about the landscape keyboard I have the same issue in Facebook, but new phones always have some issue. I am sure in the next update they will resolve the issue. Did you happen to notice that autospelling still spells it correctly?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

dandiele

May 30, 2012
Visit site
I am not asking for anyone to return anything, I am asking you to do what HTC asked me to have anyone with the issue do, call them. they want to have all the input they can on this issue. thats why I started the threads. I also realize not everyone is in the US but this link Select Your Region has various countires and if you click yours then click support if provides your support phone number :)
I have noticed this too and thought maybe it was mine that was messed up. Guess its just the way the camera is... That sucks but coming from having the Samsung Galaxy S4 having a jacked up screen in low light situations I am not sure if its such a big deal that I want to return it... :/ But glad to know I am not the only one who found it odd and annoying.

Last edited:

dandiele

May 30, 2012
Visit site
I tried using night mode per HTC's request and it does not work, takes a black photo.
If you are using flash, use the regular camera mode. If you are using the camera in the dark (less than one candle's worth of light) you can use "night mode" with no flash and it will work-- but the camera speed will be MUCH slower and you have to let it take time to focus. Otherwise, use regular camera mode in low (but not dark) light conditions, i.e. a bar, movie theater. This is straight from my friend who works at ATT. A lot of people try to use night mode in low light and then get frustrated because it doesn't work like they expect.

dandiele

May 30, 2012
Visit site
Instead of trying to call people various names (which is also what you tried to do on XDA forums), how about posting comparison photos of your devices in same lighting conditions?
Ok I can at least post the photos I had tested 3 of them in the dark situation doing everything I could to focus and one with the lamp on the lowest setting, like I said even though the flash lights up very low initially to try to light the subject enough to focus it does not focus. I understand I reacted improper to the other guy but he was basically just saying things to cause problems. and to be rude. which is not what I asked of any of you guys, in fact I was polite as possible.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l0d68armiibnhrm/2013-05-05 23.51.51.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hh60t3rqrbrfy2a/2013-05-05 23.51.57.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jgn6srm56ep55qa/2013-05-05 23.52.04.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/47jccxuyg8gbpau/2013-05-05 23.52.37.jpg

As you can see in these photos, the flash is plenty bright when it fires to light up the whole room however it does not light up initially bright enough to make a correct auto focus and the indicator doesn't even turn green, and touching the screen to manual focus turns it green but the flash doesn't light up so i know it isn't focusing.

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Ok I can at least post the photos I had tested 3 of them in the dark situation doing everything I could to focus and one with the lamp on the lowest setting, like I said even though the flash lights up very low initially to try to light the subject enough to focus it does not focus. I understand I reacted improper to the other guy but he was basically just saying things to cause problems. and to be rude. which is not what I asked of any of you guys, in fact I was polite as possible.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l0d68armiibnhrm/2013-05-05 23.51.51.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hh60t3rqrbrfy2a/2013-05-05 23.51.57.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jgn6srm56ep55qa/2013-05-05 23.52.04.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/47jccxuyg8gbpau/2013-05-05 23.52.37.jpg

As you can see in these photos, the flash is plenty bright when it fires to light up the whole room however it does not light up initially bright enough to make a correct auto focus and the indicator doesn't even turn green, and touching the screen to manual focus turns it green but the flash doesn't light up so i know it isn't focusing.

To be honest I thought you were trolling/making fun, going on about needing to take a picture of your clothes in the closet in complete darkness, funny dog sleeping positions, taking photos in a black movie theatre and needing it for emergency situations. Then complaining that even your $400 dedicated Nikon camera has an infra red focus lamp - as if a phone camera should be even more capable then a dedicated $400 camera. That was the point I decided you were just trying to get a reaction.

Now I see you are serious, and yes I agree they should do a preflash to obtain focus if the camera can't focus in a no-light situation. I just don't often take pictures when it is pitch black and the phone does focus with remarkably little ambient light. I am sure they could do this with software update. It won't be very useful to me becuase generally avoid taking a picture that needs a flash becuase I know it will look like crap and you will definately need a flash if it is completely dark.

Good luck getting them to add a preflash.

dandiele

May 30, 2012
Visit site
To be honest I thought you were trolling/making fun, going on about needing to take a picture of your clothes in the closet in complete darkness, funny dog sleeping positions, taking photos in a black movie theatre and needing it for emergency situations. Then complaining that even your $400 dedicated Nikon camera has an infra red focus lamp - as if a phone camera should be even more capable then a dedicated $400 camera. That was the point I decided you were just trying to get a reaction.

Now I see you are serious, and yes I agree they should do a preflash to obtain focus if the camera can't focus in a no-light situation. I just don't often take pictures when it is pitch black and the phone does focus with remarkably little ambient light. I am sure they could do this with software update. It won't be very useful to me becuase generally avoid taking a picture that needs a flash becuase I know it will look like crap and you will definately need a flash if it is completely dark.

Good luck getting them to add a preflash.
I appreciate that. The worst part is the phone does have a pre flash....it just doesn't work properly...

dandiele

May 30, 2012
Visit site
Thank you so much for testing this for me. Yours does do the pre flash also like mine too (i'm assuming) but doesn't actually focus?

I still feel I should reiterate the fact that HTC requested me, to request that you folks contact them "if this is truly an issue, in a sarcastic sort of manner" so if it bothers you in the slightest please contact them for me, for all of us. Thank you so much!
I've also tried taking a few photos myself in dark and yes, you're right - with no light at all it produces more blurry photos since there's no focus assist lighting feature (like, for example, on my previous Nokia Lumia 920, which, despite all of its drawbacks, has the best camera out of all modern phones). I agree that even though not that many people would want to take photos in total darkness - such feature is useful and if other phones (like Lumia 920) have it - so should the HTC. Shouldn't be that hard to utilize the existing LED flash for it, hopefully they'll add it with future software update...