Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gwappa
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default HTC One Unlocked Developer Edition (64GB) - Help a girl out!

I have a question that I think will be pretty basic for the level of awesomeness that exists on this site. Please bear with me as I am not nearly as smart at this stuff as you guys are. I'm moving to Brussels in about 6 weeks and need a new phone. It has to be unlocked so I can use it with a European SIM card. I really want the HTC One because I've had an HTC phone for the past 6 years and haven't had any problems with them. Not to mention that it looks amazing. However, I do have some concerns with the lack of external memory. I don't think the 32 GB will be enough for me, and it looks like the only option for the 64 GB is the Developer Edition. I understand that it comes with an unlocked bootloader and that this may invalidate some external apps because of invalid DRM security keys. My question is, for someone that isn't going to install a new ROM or hack anything, will this be a problem? I just want a regular old cell phone with a lot of memory. I'm not smart enough to unlock and lock or root and unroot stuff.... so I'm not sure if by choosing the Developer Edition I'm getting in over my head. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Global Posts
    191 Global Posts

Default Re: HTC One Unlocked Developer Edition (64GB) - Help a girl out!

Not really an issue at all that you have an unlocked bootloader. It just allows you flash different roms onto the phone. You can use it just like a regular HTC One.
    CR6 likes this.

Welcome to the forum! gwappa nailed it, you'll be fine regardless of it being a developer edition. Good luck with your move to Brussels!

tap'n

I'm considering this version too. When they say some apps might not work, what exactly are they referring to? And are there any other ramifications/things to be aware of when getting the DE?

Hi, moving to europe is nor a big deal for a phone :-)
    Beside, you mix 2 things, unlocked phones ie free-to-choose-operator and rooted phones ie free-to-modify-operating-system.
    If you choose the HTC developpers edition, you will have an unlocked + rooted phone where you only need unlocked.
    This phone is a very good choice anyway as the One is, at this very moment, the best of smartphone, even better than the S4 (I have one of each and I compared myself)
    The only issue when moving to Europe (as all phones are multi band now) is the 4G (LTE).
    The US protocole is different of rest of world consequently an US phone won't be able to connect 4G in Europe and vice versa.
    You are right for 64gb, with 32 you would be a looser :-)
    For this reason I initially choosed the S4 (with 64gb sd card) but I managed to get a European 4G 64gb ONE. This is why I have both.
    Feel free to contact me if you need : fgae at club-internet.fr
    Appologize for english...
    MacGyver

You might need to do a little research on radio frequency compatibility, an email to the provider you will use in Brussels would be a good first step. Tell them what phone you are interested in using on their network and it might help to list the devices supported frequencies.

I think (but I am no expert) that LTE will not work there as the developer version is intended for the US market place; from a GSM perspective you should be ok

Better make sure that is a lot of dough to spend before making sure it will work for you .