Syncing my iTunes music to the One

amroa

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
So, I've done some testing of various ways to get my playlists/music to the phone. I'm one of the iPhone converts, but I still have and like my iPad. And considering how hard it's been to simply get my playlist over, I have come to appreciate the ease at which iTunes did it with my iPhone.

I've found what I think is the ideal setup. Naturally, if you don't care about playlists, just copy your files over to the Music folder. I've tried MediaMonkey, doubleTwist and iSyncr. iSyncr appears to be the best. Here's why:

1. MediaMonkey tries to be your new music manager. If you're not an iDevice person, this may be ok, but it also does weird things when you sync your playlist with the One. First, it copies the song over, but at a single folder level instead of keeping the original subfolders. So, there would be an "Artist Album" folder, and if you had several albums from one artist, they would each be at the top level. This certainly isn't a problem per se, but it doesn't match the standard Artist->Album folder structure that I have on my PC. Also, it doesn't put it in the Music folder. It put it in some strange location. Finally, the actual playlist never showed up in any of my media players.

2. doubleTwist also tries to be a music manager. There is a $5 app to AirSync by doubleTwist, but a lot of the more recent reviews were very critical. So, I didn't install it, because I really didn't want another music manager. And I just read up on iSyncr which did not want to do anything other than connect to iTunes. So I thought I'd try iSyncr before I gave doubleTwist a chance.

3. iSyncr also has a $5 app to sync over WiFi, but the reviews were much better than doubleTwist and most importantly, the desktop app simply connects to iTunes and gives me a checkbox of things to sync. It's very similar to the checkbox/tabbed selection on iTunes after you've plugged your device in. The default sync location is set to "syncr" on the phone, but this can be changed through Settings->WiFi Sync->Sync Folder. This location is also applicable if you sync through the USB cable. Furthermore, it maintains the Artist->Album folder structure which matches most setups. When you select the device from the desktop app, you get a window of media to select. So I can select my playlists, then I can go to different tabs and select by artist, album, genre and podcast. The iSyncr app is really nice as well. If I add a new song to my playlist in iTunes, I simply go to the iSyncr app, select the WiFi tab, pick my playlist to sync and sync.

Now, I can stick with iTunes for my iPad as well as my One.

Update: Forgot to mention the other two options.

4. HTC Sync manager. Just don't.

5. Google Play. Google Play isn't bad, but again it stores the music in an odd location (Android\data\com.google.android.music) if you chose to "keep on device". For me with FiOS 75Mbps connection, the transfer took hours. Don't know why. My FiOS has issues with YouTube and Google Play.

Google Play Music would certainly be my second choice since I keep my music synced with Google music manager for streaming. But, I fly a lot and need my music local to the phone.

Last edited:

yoshi351

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Try Google Music Manager uploads your music from Itunes. Go to google.com/play click on my music and click on upload music. It give you a link to download the music manager. Just follow the steps and your done.

amroa

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
I have Google Music Manager, and I can get to my songs from the Google Play app, but I want it local to my phone because I'm on a plane a lot. And, I also know that I can "pin" whatever playlist I want, but for some reason it takes an ungodly amount of time (like hours even though I'm on FiOS 75Mbps). Like the other apps I didn't like, it also stores the music in a strange location (Android->data->com.google.android.music). Why not just put it in the Music folder?

sparkly flea

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
iSyncr works great for me. I have a very large library. It handles it easily. Transferring playlists is awesome. HTC Sync was painful although it eventually worked. Uninstalled it as soon as I found iSyncr.

matt3166

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I second iSyncr works amazingly. And does WiFi transfer as well

Sent from my HTCONE using Android Central Forums

amroa

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
iSyncr works great for me. I have a very large library. It handles it easily. Transferring playlists is awesome. HTC Sync was painful although it eventually worked. Uninstalled it as soon as I found iSyncr.

Agreed. Should have had that and Google Play in my list. Flushed HTC down the drain.

aaronlam

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Hmm. iSyncr works for me but it's a little ganky. Have had a couple times where it duplicates playlists on my phone and sometimes doesn't want to connect even with USB plugged in. But in the end... it works and I don't sync my music that often.

gramamoose

May 14, 2011
Visit site
What about movies?
Does anyone know how to transfer movies? I won an iPad and have some movies on there that would be cool to have on my One!

Sent from my HTCONE using Android Central Forums

aaronlam

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I just drop the movies directly onto the phone with Android Transfer App (you can do it in the file manager of HTC Sync also). Then use MX Player to pick them up. I always hated that I had to copy movies into iTunes to get them on an iDevice. Whoever watches movies in iTunes anyway... Much perfer QuickTime or something.

iSyncr crashes before even loading my device. It gets stuck there and I have to force quit out of it. Takes a couple times to get it working.

pgood4

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
I've used isyncr in the past and it has worked well. For the One I tried htc sync and it has been flawless so far.

c613m

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
iSyncr appears to be the best. HTC Sync manager. Just don't.

Well I'm gonna try iSyncr. Being new to Android, I figured HTC Sync Manager would do it's job well... I've never had such a headache trying to sync music. Thanks for the tip!

TimmyB

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Well I'm gonna try iSyncr. Being new to Android, I figured HTC Sync Manager would do it's job well... I've never had such a headache trying to sync music. Thanks for the tip!

I don't like paying $3.99 for an app too often (that can get expensive after a few hundred!), but this one saves SO many headaches that I would pay more than that. :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma