Why isn't the stock text app allowed to be disabled?

semp1

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
I don't get why htc would prevent this. Every other phone available including at least the Nexus4, note2, S3, and S4 allow this. Why is the option not available with the htc one? A little ridiculous for them to lock it. Not that I would want to use anything else at the moment but I would like to know that I can. Just the way I switched the keyboard to swiftkey i want to be able to switch the text app to gosms if they ever fix the black bar of death at the bottom.

semp1

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
I know I can but that stupid black bar with a virtual options key rides the bottom. Which then makes the keyboard higher. Also I got off the phone with htc just now and yes they lock out disabling the stock text app and the only way possible on their phone is to root it. That's actually ridiculous. I like this phone but its been pretty disappointing from a lot of stand points. The lack of option key kills apps and some games and the phone has bugs that just need to be ironed out ASAP.

mrbootcrm

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Apps not following Google guidelines is no fault of htc. Why do you need to disable the stock app? I guess I'm confused about the problem.

metroff1

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I don't get why htc would prevent this. Every other phone available including at least the Nexus4, note2, S3, and S4 allow this. Why is the option not available with the htc one? A little ridiculous for them to lock it. Not that I would want to use anything else at the moment but I would like to know that I can. Just the way I switched the keyboard to swiftkey i want to be able to switch the text app to gosms if they ever fix the black bar of death at the bottom.

All you have to do if you want to use a third party messaging app is turn off the notifications on the stock text app. Just go to settings in the messaging app and uncheck notifications.

kanucme

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
I too use go sms and u should be able to at least disable notifications from the stock messaging app. That way notifications only come up from go sms.

semp1

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
How do you comfortably use gosms with the stupid black bar on the bottom forcing the keyboard to ride a decent amount higher? It's silly that gosms has that. And I'm aware I can shut notifications off but it's ridiculous that htc is pretty much the only phone company regulating the customization of their phones with the android os. I mean whats next the prevention, using swiftkey and being forced to use the htc keyboard? At that point you basically have an iPhone only not quite as good at texting.

rajeshr68

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
How do you comfortably use gosms with the stupid black bar on the bottom forcing the keyboard to ride a decent amount higher? It's silly that gosms has that. And I'm aware I can shut notifications off but it's ridiculous that htc is pretty much the only phone company regulating the customization of their phones with the android os. I mean whats next the prevention, using swiftkey and being forced to use the htc keyboard? At that point you basically have an iPhone only not quite as good at texting.

Two issues here:
- GoSMS not following Android UI guidelines. You should let GoSMS know about this!
- And doesn't the disabling of notifications allow you to use any SMS app? End result is the same - you get to use whatever SMS app you want?

And aren't you being a little dramatic here? HTC is pretty much the only company regulating the customization of the phones? Other than the Nexus line, each manufacturer does this to some degree.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay