HTC One having trouble focusing with camera

DanX47

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Is anyone else's camera acting like this?

I love this phone but so far the camera seems weird, it doesn't know how to decide whether or not to focus or not.

arwen_in_nj

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Is anyone else's camera acting like this?

I love this phone but so far the camera seems weird, it doesn't know how to decide whether or not to focus or not.

Are you touching the screen? You can force the camera to focus anywhere you want by touching the screen.

Sent from my most awesome HTC One

stunu12

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm having the exact same problem.. when i first got the phone pictures were clear and sharp, now camera wont focus and everything is blurry no matter where i touch on the screen.

charlee08

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the exact same problem.. when i first got the phone pictures were clear and sharp, now camera wont focus and everything is blurry no matter where i touch on the screen.

Any chance you may have left it zoomed in and not noticed it?

I'm not having any problems with my camera. I touch to get the focus where I want and it does exactly as commanded.

Sent from my HTC One

bigoldthor

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Also make sure you don't have dirt, fingerprints, smudges, or contamination on the lens.

Posted via Android Central App

ollieg

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
Dirt/smudge is my first experience-based guess as well. If you are an eyeglass wearer, use your lens wiper not clothing!

aokusman

May 17, 2013
Visit site
It does the same on videos. If you don't tap to focus your video will be blurry, also when you move the video may loose focus. Terrible camera

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

walt27

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I've noticed this a few times as well weather or not it's the phone or user error idk. It takes good pictures most of the time. We will get an update eventually

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums

tsmith35

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Same problem here. Lens is sparkly clean. Some shots are nice and sharp, while shots taken before or after are blurry as can be. The amount of light seems to be a factor, with bright lights apparently causing a lot of difficulty for the camera.

Some of the fuzzy shots were taken 15 feet from a statue outside in broad daylight, and I couldn't get the camera to focus to save its life. Tapped the screen, cleaned the lens, tried different perspectives, and nothing worked. Friend's Galaxy Note 2 took all the same shots and all razor sharp. Very disappointing. I never did get a good shot. Sunny day with clouds and clear air. Doesn't get much better than that for photos.

Hope HTC can figure out a fix or this One is going back.

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site

My wife and I ones half the time takes blurry pictures in auto
mode. We are getting ours exchanged tomorrow. Our on screen buttons also seems unresponsive at times
adybevy7.jpg

Sent from my HTC One Coconut Wireless

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, that is blurry. If that is the best it can do, then it is defective. Does it take blurry shots like this if you tap to focus? Is it just in low light? I assume the above picture was taken when it was pretty dark as the camera tends to want to lighten up dark scenes. It does tend to have a hard time focusing in very dark conditions.

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, that is blurry. If that is the best it can do, then it is defective. Does it take blurry shots like this if you tap to focus? Is it just in low light? I assume the above picture was taken when it was pretty dark as the camera tends to want to lighten up dark scenes. It does tend to have a hard time focusing in very dark conditions.

This picture is actually darker than it really was. I did tap the screen to focus in the middle. However, It does go clear for a split second. Then get blurry and then clear again and then blurry again. It's like it can't make up its mind how to focus. This is in auto mode btw.

Sent from my HTC One Coconut Wireless

tsmith35

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Okay, I've found more information about the HTC One camera problem:

First, after taking dozens of photos with the camera, I discovered that the problem seems to occur *only* when a very bright area is visible within the camera frame. Anything with a bright spot, anywhere from the reflection of a floodlight off of a shiny brass statue (or a plain white wall) to a photo inside of a bus (sunny outside) seemed to throw the camera for a loop. I took photos inside, outside and everywhere I could think of before I noticed the common theme with bright lights (or perhaps high contrast) causing problems.

Second, I talked with HTC for nearly an hour about the problem. They had me do numerous resets, restarts, and changes. Finally, after the HTC tech consulted with the Nth person for more information, he discovered that the problem has been confirmed by the tier-2 support guys, but nobody had told this to the tier-1 support guys. He promised that HTC was working on a patch for the issue via firmware. I was skeptical, but I gave him the benefit of the doubt.

I did notice, while talking to HTC, that in low-contrast situations, the camera auto-focused very well and very quickly. Add a bright spot, and suddenly the camera worked like a madman to focus. It was happening so fast that the image on the LCD appeared to be jumping up and down. Tapping on the screen to pick out a specific point would cause the image brightness to change, but the focus still kept jumping. Remove the light, and the camera locked on target immediately. I gave all of this information to HTC, so it's on record with them.

Then today, while browsing around for more details about the camera problem, I ran into this page at T-mobile: Camera focus issues: HTC One (LTE)

The article is dated May 7, 2013. So I guess I'll just wait and see what happens.

The rest of the phone is great. Reception is as good or better than my dad's Galaxy, it's fast, and I have a ton of memory to burn (about 11 gigs of apps, video and music loaded, leaving about 2/3 of the memory free). If I can get my camera to focus properly, I'll be one happy camper!

czrman99

May 2, 2013
Visit site
No problem here.

Sent from my HTCONE using Android Central Forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1370154686491.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1370154686491.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 16
  • uploadfromtaptalk1370154704149.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1370154704149.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 15