My HTC One review after 1 month

nyctalinth

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
I?ve had the HTC One for almost a month now and am really loving it. The first impressions of this phone really stick with me over all this time.

Design: The design of the phone is stunning. I still find myself ogling my phone from time to time. I?ve had phones made of plastic, metal/plastic mix, but the all metal design of the HCT one just screams quality and style. At 4.7?, the HTC One is just the right balance between being small enough to handle, yet providing a knock-out screen for media watching. Being a right handed user, I wish the power button on top was on the right side instead of left for easier one handed use, but that?s my only nit-pick.

Sound: I still marvel at why it took so long to get great sounding front facing speakers on a phone. No more doing the right hand cupping to get the sound to be loud enough to hear. Plus the fact that it is stereo on top of that makes this incredible to listen to. This sounds better than my Macbook Pro speakers. Makes a big difference for having music in the background or for watching media (youtube, etc). But that is only half of the experience. The sound coming from the headphone jack via Beats audio is even better. Having had 2 phones with Beats audio, it would be hard for me to go without. Rating: 5/5

Screen: The 4.7? screen is just awesome. I use auto-brightness adjustment and it is always fine. Text from websites and email are crisp and images really look sharp as well. Rating: 5/5

Software: I?ve used other HTC Androids in the past and thought the HTC Sense software felt a bit over the top from the unlock screen with the silver ring to the home screen clock style and multi-tasking screen that looked cool, but wasn?t all that easy to use. Sense 5 is exactly what HTC needed to do to refine the UI to be elegant and enhance Android. It no longer feels in the way, but a beautiful interface to the OS. The multi-tasking screen allows you to see all the apps quickly and close the ones you want with ease. The lock screen is clean and easy to customize with incoming texts, calendar and email notifications. The biggest change to Sense is the new Blinkfeed feature. I?ve read mixed things about this feature and I like it, but have played with it as my home screen off and on (you can make any of your screens your home screen if you choose). It is great for getting a quick glance at things that matter to you (news, twitter, facebook, etc) from a variety of sources in one place. I think it is a great new feature that will get better with updates. Rating 4/5

Camera: The camera on the HTC One is great. It has a wide angle lense, so you really get to capture more in the picture. The picture quality can be really stunning, especially in low light. I?ve heard enhancements are on the way which will improve normal daytime shots, but I?m pleased with the camera performance so far even without. Some of my favorite shots have come in evening light ? the camera sensor is so good, I?ve had several come out great that I thought would be too dark. The HDR and panorama modes are a great feature, so be sure to check them out. On top of the core technology in the camera sensor, you have HTC?s Imagesense technology, so you can rapidly capture multiple pictures in a very short time (burst mode). But the best new features related to camera involve the new Zoe capture mode and highlight features. When you put the camera in Zoe mode, you record a 3 second clip of the moment. This serves 2 purposes ? you can go back to one of 20 moments in the clip and capture the still image you want (or do other cool things like object removal or create sequence shots). But the Zoe clips are the star of the new highlight video and HTC shares. When you go to your gallery of pictures from the day or event, the phone creates an automatic highlight video from user selected pictures in the folder. These videos are awesome ? they professionally blend still pictures with the Zoe clips to create 30 second videos with a selectable style and music. While these are great on the phone, HTC makes it easy to share these highlight videos (or any selection of still and Zoe clips) via the HTC Share feature. You upload these to HTC?s site with a simple menu selection and then get a link to these that you can email or text to family and friends for them to review. This is a really easy way to share events with others. Way easier than manually downloading to a PC and messing with the upload to other sites and much more elegant than a simple picture upload to facebook. Rating ? 5/5

Performance ? Not much to say other than this phone is blazing fast. Everything I do has been snappy. While the built-in T-mobile software told me it recommended rebooting the phone periodically when I went too long, I dismissed that and am able to run the phone for weeks at a time without the need for reboots. I wish T-mobile had opted for the 64GB version of the phone, but coming from a 16GB device, 32GB will be fine for a long time. Rating ? 5/5

Overall ? I really don?t know how HTC will top the HTC One. It has so many design and software features that are such a huge step forward. The things I wish I could change are more storage and more customization options in Blinkfeed. I?m very pleased with the HTC One and can?t recommend it enough. HTC has focused on the core experience of the phone (instead of gimmicky features I?ll never use) and the result is a phone that feels refined and elegant. Overall Rating ? 5/5

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your review. I think it's safe to say that the One is unlike anything on the market. Always refreshing to read these type of discussions. It feels like the HTC One owners are starting to bond..lol.

I concur with your assessment about the speed of the One. It makes the majority of other devices seem slow or slightly "laggy"

Posted via Android Central App

flexfield

May 19, 2013
Visit site
I have the HTC One, iPhone 5 and the Note II. I will be keeping just the HTC One... by far the most elegant and brightest of the 3.

aokusman

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Still waiting for the update to fix the buttons, apart from that I'm satisfied.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Wen Pai

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
I?ve had the HTC One for almost a month now and am really loving it. The first impressions of this phone really stick with me over all this time.

Design: The design of the phone is stunning. I still find myself ogling my phone from time to time. I?ve had phones made of plastic, metal/plastic mix, but the all metal design of the HCT one just screams quality and style. At 4.7?, the HTC One is just the right balance between being small enough to handle, yet providing a knock-out screen for media watching. Being a right handed user, I wish the power button on top was on the right side instead of left for easier one handed use, but that?s my only nit-pick.

Sound: I still marvel at why it took so long to get great sounding front facing speakers on a phone. No more doing the right hand cupping to get the sound to be loud enough to hear. Plus the fact that it is stereo on top of that makes this incredible to listen to. This sounds better than my Macbook Pro speakers. Makes a big difference for having music in the background or for watching media (youtube, etc). But that is only half of the experience. The sound coming from the headphone jack via Beats audio is even better. Having had 2 phones with Beats audio, it would be hard for me to go without. Rating: 5/5

Screen: The 4.7? screen is just awesome. I use auto-brightness adjustment and it is always fine. Text from websites and email are crisp and images really look sharp as well. Rating: 5/5

Software: I?ve used other HTC Androids in the past and thought the HTC Sense software felt a bit over the top from the unlock screen with the silver ring to the home screen clock style and multi-tasking screen that looked cool, but wasn?t all that easy to use. Sense 5 is exactly what HTC needed to do to refine the UI to be elegant and enhance Android. It no longer feels in the way, but a beautiful interface to the OS. The multi-tasking screen allows you to see all the apps quickly and close the ones you want with ease. The lock screen is clean and easy to customize with incoming texts, calendar and email notifications. The biggest change to Sense is the new Blinkfeed feature. I?ve read mixed things about this feature and I like it, but have played with it as my home screen off and on (you can make any of your screens your home screen if you choose). It is great for getting a quick glance at things that matter to you (news, twitter, facebook, etc) from a variety of sources in one place. I think it is a great new feature that will get better with updates. Rating 4/5

Camera: The camera on the HTC One is great. It has a wide angle lense, so you really get to capture more in the picture. The picture quality can be really stunning, especially in low light. I?ve heard enhancements are on the way which will improve normal daytime shots, but I?m pleased with the camera performance so far even without. Some of my favorite shots have come in evening light ? the camera sensor is so good, I?ve had several come out great that I thought would be too dark. The HDR and panorama modes are a great feature, so be sure to check them out. On top of the core technology in the camera sensor, you have HTC?s Imagesense technology, so you can rapidly capture multiple pictures in a very short time (burst mode). But the best new features related to camera involve the new Zoe capture mode and highlight features. When you put the camera in Zoe mode, you record a 3 second clip of the moment. This serves 2 purposes ? you can go back to one of 20 moments in the clip and capture the still image you want (or do other cool things like object removal or create sequence shots). But the Zoe clips are the star of the new highlight video and HTC shares. When you go to your gallery of pictures from the day or event, the phone creates an automatic highlight video from user selected pictures in the folder. These videos are awesome ? they professionally blend still pictures with the Zoe clips to create 30 second videos with a selectable style and music. While these are great on the phone, HTC makes it easy to share these highlight videos (or any selection of still and Zoe clips) via the HTC Share feature. You upload these to HTC?s site with a simple menu selection and then get a link to these that you can email or text to family and friends for them to review. This is a really easy way to share events with others. Way easier than manually downloading to a PC and messing with the upload to other sites and much more elegant than a simple picture upload to facebook. Rating ? 5/5

Performance ? Not much to say other than this phone is blazing fast. Everything I do has been snappy. While the built-in T-mobile software told me it recommended rebooting the phone periodically when I went too long, I dismissed that and am able to run the phone for weeks at a time without the need for reboots. I wish T-mobile had opted for the 64GB version of the phone, but coming from a 16GB device, 32GB will be fine for a long time. Rating ? 5/5

Overall ? I really don?t know how HTC will top the HTC One. It has so many design and software features that are such a huge step forward. The things I wish I could change are more storage and more customization options in Blinkfeed. I?m very pleased with the HTC One and can?t recommend it enough. HTC has focused on the core experience of the phone (instead of gimmicky features I?ll never use) and the result is a phone that feels refined and elegant. Overall Rating ? 5/5

Nice review

fz1jmp

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Great review, I could not agree more on the points you brought up, except you said; "I really don?t know how HTC will top the HTC One.". I don't agree with that, I don't know how ANYONE will be able to beat the One and honestly the S4, I'm talking about Apple. I was a hard core iPhone user, actually when people see me with the One, they get mad at me because most of them bought the iPhone because of me. But I have to say, I can't imagine how Apple can get me back. Anyway, good review, thanks!

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Nice review. I've had the HTC One for almost a Month also and am really enjoying the phone. I use Blinkfeed everyday.

Yilun808

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Camera, Build-Quality, Screen, Beats Audio have all been top notch for me on this phone. Battery life has been really decent for me as well. I find myself just picking the phone up and looking at it from time to time because one month later, I'm still in the honeymoon phase, LOL.

Looking forward to getting some software updates to hopefully enhance/patch a few things but other than that, this is a near perfect phone.

tigerNamedtony07

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Camera, Build-Quality, Screen, Beats Audio have all been top notch for me on this phone. Battery life has been really decent for me as well. I find myself just picking the phone up and looking at it from time to time because one month later, I'm still in the honeymoon phase, LOL.

Looking forward to getting some software updates to hopefully enhance/patch a few things but other than that, this is a near perfect phone.

Totally do the same thing! Every time i go out with friends and put the phone on the table, everyone notices the phone! And I am still on my honeymoon phase. The sound is amazing, beats audio is wonderful!! The phone is very fast, no lag ever. Taking better photos than I have ever. Battery life is still amazing and just to help out i bought a tiny external battery pack to keep in my pocket for emergencies. The biggest thing for me is the 4g!! I'm glad i stayed with sprint here in new orleans.

69bluesman

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Great review! I've also had mine for about a month. I've used iPhones in the past. I switched to Android via Samsung's beautiful phones...but couldn't handle the lag after 6 months of use. I went to Nokia Lumia 920 for the Windows 8 experience...I loved it. Until.......I saw the HTC Once. I had to try it. I love it needless to say.

One question...
Does anyone using the One have a problem with turning off "auto upload" in camera settings? All I did was turn it on, to basically try the auto upload to Flickr feature. I hated it so I went to turn it off...and, it doesn't. It annoyingly stays on while trying to auto upload all my camera clicks to a cancelled Flickr account. Any ideas?

mount.zed

May 31, 2013
Visit site
How do you find the battery life after a month? also did you find that over time it got better?

ollieg

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
We have to remember recent history when we look at 'sales figures'. It was only recently that HTC announced a solution for its manufacturing challenges. Before that, we've been lead to believe that phones were selling as fast as they can be manufactured. When you think about it, sales figures provide insight into the total number of manufactured phones. Also some implications for the daily manufacturing rate and how many phones might have existed when the phone was first introduced.

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Great review! I've also had mine for about a month. I've used iPhones in the past. I switched to Android via Samsung's beautiful phones...but couldn't handle the lag after 6 months of use. I went to Nokia Lumia 920 for the Windows 8 experience...I loved it. Until.......I saw the HTC Once. I had to try it. I love it needless to say.

One question...
Does anyone using the One have a problem with turning off "auto upload" in camera settings? All I did was turn it on, to basically try the auto upload to Flickr feature. I hated it so I went to turn it off...and, it doesn't. It annoyingly stays on while trying to auto upload all my camera clicks to a cancelled Flickr account. Any ideas?

I have noticed you must be able to connect to the flickr account to save a change in that setting. if you have cancelled the Flickr account, that may be the issue -

I would suggest setting up your flickr account again, then turn off auto upload. Then you can get rid of the account if you like.

I actually find the Flickr account to be a nice solution for auto uploading as it doesn't upload all the zoe shots or all the burst shots and they give you so much space. I don't really like the Flickr website much, but it does allow you to down load full res images to your computer.

ghostjjl

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Great review! The HTC One really drew me in with the aluminum case and speakers and I've stayed for the other amazing features. Used to be a die-hard member of the Apple cult and I can proudly say I will never be going back. This review may actually be the last push to convince my wife to make the switch to Android as well.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app